1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Sure, I can see that.
    I then counter that that BoB just can't changes his tru nature. Ex: Ending of Pats game.

2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Sure, I can see why u don't understand a tru fans passion.

I enjoy watching Watson play and the things he has to do to carry.
    It's also possible that one can hate the coach for knowing that his sht playcalling and time management is preventing Watson's Greatness/team.

But then again
    U seem to b one of those faux fans that stand by every shtty decision, b/c it's your team. U don't have to blindly lap up all the sht this franchise dish out.

Also
    U seem to not to thoroughly follow all my posts, so stfu.

I praised BoB for doing a job well done addressing the RB situation. your shtty ass incorrect statement, is da Scarface's way of smearing other fans w/ made up bs as people with a personal vendetta against the bad coach.

I always watch hoping we would win, just to get massively disappointed when we come up short b/c of a mediocre coach. Then I go on this site and see jock riders like u praise BoB like he's the second coming and then proceed to blame everyone else beside the holy one for the loss.

3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Are you sure you don't hope the Texans lose so you can come yell on clutchfans so you can be right about something? You are certain about this?

U shD thnk about it More, bEfor U get to 40,000 posts about it so shtty stfu sht U are

4. raining threes

With a 3 score league and less than 5 mins left 2 play. Playing conservative was the right call. IMHO

5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

It's that prevent defense that seems to guarantee a touchdown for the opposing team that drives people crazy.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I suppose it's fair to judge BO'B on his performance 2014-2016... but why? Nobody "yeah, but"s Jeff Luhnow because of his record 2012-14; there's a very clear line between the two eras of his tenure. Same is true of BOB, IMO. When they drafted Watson, *everything* changed. So, sure - jump up and down about a four-year old playoff loss if that floats the boat. But it really doesn't have a tremendous amount of relevance.

He's been dogshit in the playoffs. Happy? Now will you please acknowledge that single playoff games, spread out over multiple years, is not an ideal method for evaluating a head coach?...

We'll wait....

When you have 92 regular season results and only 4 postseason results... they're not only as vital/important: they're *more* important because they're a far better representation of his abilities. BO'B wins ~55% of his games; lately (post-Watson), he's won ~67%. The postseason *is* harder - but that his (limited) record doesn't at least somewhat reflect his overall success speaks more to anomalies/bad days/bad luck than it does his overall ability as a coach.

7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Honestly, I hate the "weak division" or "weak schedule" arguments. Thank you for going through and showing this. Also, I remember everyone saying 11-5 was against the easiest schedule and now this year when we had the 3rd hardest we would flop. Well we are 8-4 with wins against Chiefs and Patriots and its still a "weak division"....

Why can't people just enjoy a win for the week.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Blinded by HATE of Bill O'Brien.

mario_v and Blatz like this.
  9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They are 26/1 and 8th best odds.

This is O'Brien sacrificing the future to win now.

10. Mr. Clutch

Exactly.

They are missing:
    -2020 and 2021 first and round picks
    -2021 second round pick
    - 2020 third round pick

That's being low on draft capital and you know obrien will trade even more picks for bench guys.

And the capspace needs to be allocated to Watson and tunsil who will probably make $50m combined, then reader (free agent this year and now our best defensive player) and will Fuller and Cunningham soon thereafter. Not to mention Hyde, fells and Roby are free agents too. Stills and Duke arent signed for long either.

11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

First of all using different era of judge a coach, depends on the situation.
    Jeff Luhnow's team was legit tanking. Can't b said for BoB, he was just meh/average (good enough to get to playoffs via meh division -> just to get smashed in playoffs).

But let's humor u with the Watson's era.
    If u want to eliminate the a four-year old playoff loss, why are u bringing up a total of 92 regular season results to boost BoB credibility?

2017-2019 (Watson)
    23 wins - 21 losses

Playoffs (Watson)
    0-1 losses, the game wasn't even close.

I get that u like the man since he's consistent at winning regular season.
    But look at it this way, in the limited vital games u need the man to step up and do well in a single game elimination, he falters. That's like having a kicker hit every fg during the game, and falters when it matters the most. Like how many playoff defeats would it take for u to give up on a coach?

I would like to believe he's improving in prime time games, w/ Chiefs and Patriots results, but then u look at the Ravens game, which wasn't even close w/ 2 weeks of prep.

Plus if u compared his overall results (accolades) to his peers (my post 4540). He's is an underachieving/bad coach overall. He does win a solid amount of regular season, and AFC Division titles (i'm not even gonna debate how weak it is compared to some). But what else? U can usually judge a coach's ability by his overall results, right? No one brags that they have a good coach by the amount of wins they rack up in regular season, it's all about the post season.

Like i said before playoffs are a different animal, teams are legit. Those few games should b weighted heavier b/c they result in a superbowl title.
    I have listed coaches in previous post that had longer/similar tenures duration as BoB, only him and Garrett are underachieving/bad. Hell there are even some coach with less time doing way better than BoB.

Let me ask u a hypothetical question: BoB with the consistent ability to get to playoffs vs _______ who's miss playoffs a few season but was able to win it all or advance consistently in playoffs when he gets in, which one is the better coach?

#4671 DatRocketFan, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The are 20/1 and He isn't sacrificing anything.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um...wrong. 3-4, 11-5, 8-4 is 22-13 with Watson (games he was hurt is first year doesn't count...and not counting the start by Savage). 0-1 in the playoffs.

Injuries played a part in the Ravens' game. No Roby, No Fuller, Hargreaves didn't play. Fuller is the big out.

How about let things play out, instead throwing a bunch of Hypotheticals......

14. Mr. Clutch

Link?

15. Mr. Clutch

So basically Watson is winning, not O'Brien

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No...it is having a QB not named Tom Savage, Brian Hoyer, Brock O., or Fitzmagic........to design your offense around.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

too much excuses. when we countin Watson era, u can't just omit games if he's injured. Stop moving the goal post to make BoB record look better.

Injuries is a big fat exucse, every team is injured. We had two weeks to prep and we look like dog sht for a week. Like sure if we kept the game close, blame da injuries.

Don't even have to do hypotheicals, there are many coaches that fit my description. Harbaugh, Quinn, Belichik, McVay, Tomlin, Pederson, Payton. Plus wasn't even talking to u.
    I threw that out the coach comparisons 2 see how much Hey Now! values post season successes vs regular season.
    Already know u will ride BoB jock all day long regardless, so it's quite pointless asking u anything.

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

O’Brien is Head Coach/GM and has all the power and keys to run the franchise.

It’s over dude just deal with it.

Watson even gave him a game ball. Which prolly meant the world to O’Brien and to Watson.

Now let’s build a winner here and bring a championship to Houston.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um.....lol.

Na dude. Find another team. You hate them so much. Why bother?

Im not riding anything. I told you.....I wait til the end of the season to judge.

It PAINS you when the Texans win a game. Your suffering just continues....