1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Man Dingo

Man Dingo Member

Why would Kubiak come back only to work for someone inferior like Bob o Brien?

Get serious

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

The clashing and also how he was run out of town by us, the fans.... We threw him out of his own hometown like hot garbage, so much so that his own son sent him a tweet that said "welcome home" when he was hired by denver.

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The more you are watching the Texans, you can realize this simple fact :

Bill O'Brien is coaching this team to keep his job, not towards winning.

People tried so hard to find excuses for him for being terrible on clock management and play calling for years.

Now some of these critics seems really getting into him, in the last few games, he used more time outs even on defense side, and sometime just plain hurting the team, take yesterday for example, the Red Skins had not intention and no chance to setup a field goal with 8-9 seconds left and when you called a timeout, you are actually give them the chance to think it over and setup for a decent try. Yes the FGA was short, but calling a TO in that situation is just a bad decision.

You can feel what BoB is thinking : hey I better use the TO to avoid any questions from Brian.

This team can move the ball efficiently from our end zone until reaching the 40 yards line of the opponents, and then BoB will completely change and start his play calling with the mindset of "get a few more yards and we then will get 3 points".

It doesn't matter what kind of kicker we will have, this kind of play calling will never get you anyway against good teams.

red5rocket and juanm34 like this.
  4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Or he's coaching a team with a shitty OL that had two players go down in the game.

raining threes likes this.
  5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Except for the fact that the same shitty OL is also protecting the QB to move the ball until reaching the 40 yard line of the other side.

Look, we all know the OL isn't good at all, but please stop using it as the excuses on his ability to coach the team.

red5rocket likes this.
  6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'm just assuming here, but Romeo is our DC and perhaps he requested BoB to make the timeout call so that he could have his defense ready for all the possibilities. Or maybe the request was made by Brad Seely so that they were prepared for all the possibilities.

Could you imagine getting beat on a special teams goof, when all you had to do was force them into taking a 63 yard (nearly impossible) field goal? I would have been more pissed if he f***ed that up, than if Hopkins connected on that miracle FG attempt.

This is coming from someone that initially questioned the TO call as well. But after all that adrenaline was out of my system and I thought it through with a clearer head, it made sense. I'm also no BoB apologist, just trying to think of it from a strict football logic perspective. All-in-all I believe it was the right call, which is more evident by the end result.

DreamShook likes this.
  7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If Uncle Bob likes him so much maybe he can pay him like a head coach but Kubiak gets to stay in Houston and not have to deal with the stress that a HC deals with.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Because the team is doing good despite his inferior coaching.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

His constant running the ball up the middle in the last minute or so is what concerned me. Not one pass play to go for another 1st down to ice the game. Instead we have to sit on the edge of our seats to watch another end of the game field goal try. He never learns. He did mix it up on 1st down a couple of times during the game. It's just that last drive was infuriating.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'm as critical as anyone of OB's late-game decision-making, and he is still pretty bad overall in that area, but this is dumb.

The clock was already stopped at :08. The chances of either a hail mary completion or Hopkins connecting on a 63 yarder (his career long is 56) were slim. I had no problem with them taking the TO to make sure the personnel was right and prepared - I'm sure they thought it was a hail mary coming and were probably going to put Hopkins in.

If they had a kicker who had a realistic chance at that FG, then I might agree with you.

Also, OB has all but cemented another year here with this win streak, and besides that how is "coaching to keep his job" different than toward winning? WINNING = KEEP YOUR JOB

raining threes likes this.
  11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Please stop ignoring that personal impacts play calling and coaching.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Klifford for OC! ;)

desihooper likes this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah right. OBrien doesn't think he needs an OC and just moves guys up from WR coach to QB coach, etc.

14. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Start working it, Wes and Keke!! Was thinking the same thing this morning.

15. raining threes

Why would the Texans want Kubiak back.

8 yrs of turtle mode.

Same turtle mode with BOB.

16. raining threes

This is true and my biggest gripe with BOB's coaching style.

17. raining threes

He should've been fired along with Smith.

They did share in the 2-14 record.

18. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

If we win tomorrow night, our odds of winning the division favour us over the other divisional foes and of course a playoff berth.
    Would that give you any misgivings about firing him?

19. raining threes

I wouldn't fire BOB this year.

He's done a great job considering the OL he was left with after Smith exited Kirby.

Wattafan likes this.
  20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

winning this division isn't that impressive tbh. Let's hope his weakness doesn't get exposed in playoffs cause his playcalling is downright offensive.