1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's funny how he's now brainlessly burning all his time outs so he doesn't get criticized for not using them

RasaqBoi likes this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Kubiak's success with Denver and Baltimore was built on his team's defenses.

I also consider his success as added bad luck and embarrassment for Houston's sports history.. because that's what usually happens.

6. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BO'B is deservedly on the hot seat ... but am I alone in considering Landry Locker to be terrible at his job?
    If I had a list of Sports radio personalities I can't stand he would be #2. Behind Josh Innes and just ahead of John Harris.

Nimo and RasaqBoi like this.
  7. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Pray for the Texans to lose because with 4 wins and he keeps the job.

8. Mr. Clutch

Kubiak was OC in Baltimore and completely turned the offense around. Obroen will never do that

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Kubiak is a much better offensive mind than Billy.

Neither is Head Coach material.

10. Mr. Clutch

I think Kubiak is. That team before Schaub got hurt was contending then he won a super bowl as head coach.

deb4rockets likes this.
  11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It took our doddering, no-nothing owner stepping in and mandating Kubiak hire a seasoned defensive coordinator for those teams to reach their potential, though.

Kubiak (who i liked a lot) and O'Brien both have the same fatal flaw. Kubiak flat-refused to build a defensive coaching infrastructure while O'Brien has refused to build an offensive one.

The thing is....... I think O'Brien is a good coach. They make adjustments and get better in games. But he bungles critical decisions constantly, gets conservative and frightened when decisions matter more, and he's been too reluctant to incorporate outside perspective to an offense that sputters and stammers far too often (despite its talent).

HstnSprtsFan101 and csj like this.
  12. Mr. Clutch

Kubiak consistently builds good offenses, obrien never has outside of those 4 games by deshaun.

O'Brien was lucky to already have a good defensive coordinator. Kubiak was late on that

I really don't see anything that makes obrien a good coach. I don't see adjustments and dont think he really knows what's going on out there. His talent evaluation and system may be the worst in the league.

BigShasta likes this.
  13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The weird thing to me was all the hysteria and hype over Deshaun's 3 wins last year. I mean come on, we beat 3 teams who ended up 0-16, 7-9, and 9-7. It's not like he led us to victory over some great teams or anything. All the hype and build up of OBrien's coaching for those 3 wins led to the extension. I am still shaking my head over all of it. Nothing much has changed.

BigShasta and Mr. Clutch like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fans feeling like they finally had a legit franchise QB
    Toe to toe with Tom Brady/New England & Seattle (even though they lost both, thanks Billy!)
    Lit up the scoreboard with him in there (minus his first game in relief vs Jacksonville & 1st start vs Cincinnati on a short week; after that: 33, 57, 34, 33, 38)

Was he prematurely crowned? Perhaps, maybe likely? but I got the hysteria & hype.

everyday eddie and BigShasta like this.
  15. Mr. Clutch

It was pretty dumb considering the crazy QB stats we are seeing.

Look at the numbers Mahomes and Fitzpatrick are putting up.

Not saying Deshaun is a fluke, he looks for real, but there's no reason that should have saved obriens job when so many other coaches are getting crazy numbers from their QBs.

And like you said, OBrien still lost most games Deshaun was beasting in.

everyday eddie and deb4rockets like this.
  16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

The numbers Mahomes and Fitz are putting up don't even compare really. I mean yeah, Watson has had 22 touchdowns in all his starts this year and last, but he also has 10 interceptions. Mahomes had 10 touchdowns and no interceptions this year. Like I said, the season is early, and I am still not that impressed, but hope to be. After all, I will always support our QB, and always have, even if it's not who I wanted.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Deshaun is not the problem. As you all saw, Deshaun will be Deshaun if Billy Bob Obrien gets out of the way.

everyday eddie likes this.
  18. mario_v

mario_v Member

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Kubiak was an honest to goodness good coach. He just couldn’t overcome the Racist Owner curse, so when he was here his eyes would glaze over with 2min left each half, just like all the other coaches.

Don’t resist the curse. Just follow baseball and basketball until Racist Owner dies.

Mr. Space City likes this.
  20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I just can't hope for them to lose. If he keeps his job our GM and owner are blind in one eye and can't see out the other. They just hear his words and think he will coach better like he says he will do.