1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Are you really surprised that someone who started a thread called "Fire Bill O'brien" would have trouble being objective?

2. TheFreak

How often do teams have elite offenses (like the Texans did this year with a rookie QB) with dual head coach/OCs that don't know offense?

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

I kind of don't get this. Is this suppose to mean something? Am I really suppose to be impressed of that 9-7 team as the as the top section of my coach's resume?

This is essentially the story of the Texans. "They performed well some of the seasons where they didn't totally suck despite certain things not going their way and you can't say that's not good so you know it's sort of fine and even though sometimes we suck too there were things that really didn't go our way and one of these days all things will come together and we may get past the 2nd round and be as good as the Jaguars."

craigharmann and Mr. Clutch like this.
  4. TheFreak

I guess that depends. Are you capable of looking at context, or are you like the majority of dumbass fans who have no ability to do that?

texian and Roc Paint like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Bill O’Brien is mediocre at best.

People pointing to winning the division twice is hilarious.

He has been the Texans head coach 4 years. He has never done better than 9-7. There has been no real improvement and he is under .500 as the Texans head coach. The offense at BEST has been below league average and at worst has been one of the 2-3 worst in all of football.

craigharmann likes this.
  6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The offense got worse every year until Watson, then he didn't run OBriens system.

He has started the wrong QB at some point every year.

There are literally 3 good players on offense.

7. TheFreak

In some circles that is better than 2-14.

texian likes this.
  8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, the context is that the Texans haven't even made the conference championships in any year of their existence and quite frankly, they have never tried that hard to get there either.

So I guess 9-7 can be considered good because by Texans standards that's pretty much as good as they can be (that team had a point differential of -49 which is more akin to a 6-10/7-9 record too so 9-7 came with supreme luck). But if you go by standard of the NFL in general, it was pretty meh.

craigharmann and Nook like this.
  9. Nimo

Nimo Member

BOB is definitely mediocre so far if you look at win-loss. No they haven't had a 2-14 season but they haven't had a 12-4 Or 10-6 yet. Or a year past the divisional round of playoffs. He is not bad. He is not horrible. But he hasn't been spectacular.

For comparison sake, he hasn't been as bad as Pettine and Lovie Smith who both got fired. It is arguable he has been better than Caldwell, who also got fired. But he definitely hasn't been as good as Zimmer. All those coaches got hired during the same off season.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In most circles that's not as good as 12-4 though, or even 10-6, you know, what the previous coach did in 2 of 3 seasons leading up to handing the team over to BOB. Kubiak's teams are still the high water mark in franchise history.

11. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Yeah he is. People also bring up that Watson plays good under him, but Watson would make any coach look good.

12. TheFreak

I'm not sure how that's relevant when I was responding to your take on BOB only getting to 9-7. Context in this case would be taking over a 2-14 team and losing half the team to injury this year.

13. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

After how years as head coach? Answer it.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

6, but he made the Texans a top 10 scoring offense in only 4....hell he made them a top 10 ypg offense in only 3. Essentially he was hired as an offensive guru and the results showed that it was an accurate label. BOB was hired as an offensive guru and the only reason he didn't make the offense worse 4 years in a row was due to Watson playing like an elite QB and being able to overcome BOB's awful coaching. If not for Watson's rapid improvement to elite status, the team would have yet again gotten worse on offense.

15. texian

texian Member

Until the owner finally forced the GM to draft a QB with a first round pick.

Now they get to unf^@# what Smith f^@#ed up -- the roster.

raining threes and TheFreak like this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It was nice that the owner told the GM to ignore what BOB wanted in order to trade up for a QB. We saw all of the blunders that happened when Rick Smith got the players BOB wanted.

Now we are stuck with essentially BOB as the GM......so we are certain to fill the roster with every Hoyer and Mallett caliber player in the league.

17. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Any Pats gonna be a FA this year? Expect them signed.
    Any former Pats gonna be a FA this year? Expect them signed.
    Any current/former Pats available expect an attempt to get them here.

That's the only model BOB has, and until proven otherwise, that will continue to be my stance.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  18. aball1991

aball1991 Member

1) Didn't say he "didn't know offense", just made the point that he hasn't proven to me that he is an offensive mastermind. This opinion is based of the fact that schematically, the texan's offense was not impressive. It was impressive on broken plays, which largely is due to the skill of a scrambling quarterback. That being said, I am not trying to say that BoB didn't have any part in coaching up the QB, all I am saying is, the scheme this year and in years past has not looked impressive. There hasn't been a clear offensive philosophy that OB has brought, that has been very effective. He likes using bunch formations with 3 receivers on either end, but that hasn't really worked in games when the calls those sets. The running scheme has been mediocre at best. There isn't anything I can point to and say "Yeah, that play calling style has really been effective!" in this season or in years past. With Kubiak, even though his play calling became vanilla towards the end, there were concepts that you could point to and say "that has worked pretty well for us".

2) I am not trying to take away credit from BoB on coaching Watson, but typically, teams sometimes have difficulty adapting defensively to new QBs due to the limited tape available on how they are used by their current team. I am not saying that this was the only contributing factor to how effective Watson looked under OB, but it will be interesting to see how he performs next year when teams have more film on him. More importantly, it will also show if OB and Watson can adapt to the adaptation, which is key in football (see Kubiak and second half adaptation).

19. TheFreak

Did Vegas not get the memo?

We have the 3rd best odds to win the Super Bowl in the AFC - could you imagine how high we'd be with a new coach? 2nd? 1st?

[​IMG]

Roc Paint likes this.
  20. raining threes

Apparently McNair, who knows who made what personnel decisions showed RS the door.

If you weren't biased you would have an idea who was in charge of these personnel decisions.

Hint: Which one was shown the door?

I'm not even all gung ho on BOB, I wanted them both gone. But I realize what was most likely going on behind the scenes and I'm willing to give BOB/Gaine a couple of years to fix the mess RS left.