1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Nobody gives BOB credit for the defense because 1) it was good (even great in some aspects) when he got here and 2) he has never coached a down of defense in his entire life.

Unless you count one year at Brown University in 1994.

2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

That’s not the only thing that is off.

Last year BOB was saved by RACs defense, while not helping with offense. This year defense is bad and the only reason we won any games was offense but now that’s because Watson. And we never mention injuries. No I don’t think BOB is the greatest coach, but Jesus let’s at least look at it from the same angle sometimes instead of everything bad is BOB and anything good is someone else.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly... so when the offense was rolling this year, but the defense was blowing games, he decided to give BOB more of the blame due to him building the defense (again, only when its bad).

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its not a stretch to say this coaching staff had something to do with his rapid development.

Its also not a stretch to say that if a QB has gotten to a certain level of comfort with a coaching staff... you don't **** with it.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This would be more effective if you were addressing what I actually said instead of going off topic because you are incapable of refuting what I said.....but I guess I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for miracles from some posters.

Trying to bring up that despite looking rough in preseason, Watson seems to be a gamble that is paying off in no way refutes what I said at the time about Watson or the facts I have laid out about BOB currently.

6. aball1991

aball1991 Member

I have been lurking in the Texans fourmn for a long time and I have to say this, and hope you can take constructive criticism.

1) No rational poster claims that BoB is a good coach, most simply point out that it’s unfair and myopic at best to say all of the Texans failures are attributed to him, and all of their successes are due to someone else.
    2) As a poster you have a horrible habit of making harsh sweeping judgements but not owning up to your mistakes when you’re wrong. Sure you did say that Watson needs to improve his footwork and that normally takes years to improve. So you can compliment him and say that he put in the work and improved at a rapid pace that nobody could have predicted. You can hide behind such statements. However most adults will also remember that you attributed lots of his success At Clemson as “just winz” and laughed off people that complimented his work ethic and believed that his character be a reason for his success.
    3) The behavior mentioned in point 2 severely detracts from this forum because instead of insightful discussions amongst posters the fourm becomes littered with your personal vendettas. Against Watson last summer and now against BoB

csj likes this.
  7. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think this sums up BOB. Sometimes the offense plays well. Sometimes it sucks. Sometimes the defense plays well. Sometimes it sucks. We have injuries. But so do every other team in the NFL and they seem to be ok. The Ravens lost everyone and had a better record. Eagles is still going to the NFC championship game after losing their MVP candidate. Vikings are in the NFC title game despite starting their 3rd string QB the entire year. So some teams overcome their injuries. The Texans are always crushed by it. There's no coaching up against injuries, but when not injured stars seem to play fine.

In essence, it seems BOB doesn't seem to matter. There's no evidence to show he's great at something. But at the same time you can't point out any glaring deficiencies year after year. He just... exist. Just like how the Texans just... exist. In a lot of ways he's the perfect meh coach for a meh team. And whether people want to fire him or keep him depends on how much they want to root for a meh product.

tierre_brown and Canadiandude like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm good with criticism when it is well thought out, constructive or otherwise.

The problem is irrational posters who do claim BOB is a good coach.

IMO I think it's unfair to attribute defensive success to a coach like BOB who doesn't coach defense. I also think that when you have clear evidence of what BOB offenses look like over 4 years to give credit to BOB for what Watson did.

That said, there have been good moments in BOB's career with the Texans, but they end up buried in the much larger number of bad moments. For every clever play call, there have been dozens of brain dead play calls. For every great halftime adjustment, there have been numerous awful game plans to start games. I'm fine with looking at the positives, but I don't think we can ignore the fact that they are drowning in a sea of negatives.

I understand this criticism, and I have heard similar things quite a lot. I'm perfectly fine eating crow when I am wrong, but I have to actually be wrong.

When it comes to Watson, it's no secret that I hated a lot of what I saw from him when it came to him throwing the ball. His mechanics were terrible and he was prone to making bad decisions both of which led to interceptions. All of that was true.

When it comes to people talking about the work ethic of prospects, the reason I laughed it off is because you hear that kind of sh*t about everyone one way or the other and it's not something to take seriously. Remember all of the talk about Clowney's terrible work ethic? Yeah, that was pretty clearly BS.

My concerns about Watson were valid and he showed that in preseason, however, it turns out the hype about his work ethic was valid and the kid developed more in a short period of time than I would have considered possible. Hell some players NEVER make the strides he did in just a few months.

I'm happy that he pulled it off because it's great for the Texans, but I'm not going to stress about the fact that I was concerned about it.

What takes away from what would otherwise be insightful discussions are people who get caught up buying into the ridiculous notion that I have "personal vendettas".

If you think you can dispute anything in this post

then by all means do so. In fact, if you were able to, it would be a productive post. Trying to dismiss what I am saying with fan fiction about "personal vendettas" is not productive.

9. aball1991

aball1991 Member

BoB has not shown an affinity for being an offensive mastermind. I think he has shown ability to rally his team and have them play for him. Does that warrant an extension? Probably not. I would have much rather seen the Texans let him coach for his next contract next year without extending him.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's completely fair.

11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

The problem is that by letting all of those coaches go, you probably won't get anyone solid to replace them with a one year deal. I like OB, I think he's still learning the intricacies of being an NFL HC. He's far from perfect, but stability sometimes trump constant change. Watson seems comfortable with OB and given how he played, I'd like to see if he can really develop this kid. I'd hate to lose Sean Ryan, because he seemed to work well with DW.

We've been wanting Rick to go and unfortunately he's going to help his family fight through an awful disease. Let's see what Gaine and OB can do, not just this year, but for the next two. That will give us a better sample of what we really have.

texian likes this.
  12. texian

texian Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2452 texian, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Just for sake of argument. If BOB turns everything around, coaches very well with VERY minimal mistakes and the team looks great and a lot can be attributed to BoB. (Not saying this will happen, probably a slim chance) but IF this happens. Can Bobby say the words “I’m eating crow” or has he built in a way out of this argument as well? Just in case?

14. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

LOL Nick do the other one now.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's statistically likely this team will do well next year.

Crap schedule in a crap division with a talented QB and talented (albeit with major looming questions) defense.

It will take more than one year of success to convince me that BOB is a long term answer.

It took him sucking for a while to shape my current opinion, so he is going to have to *not* suck for a while to change my opinion as well.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

To elaborate more on crap schedule...

2018 Regular Season

Home
    Buffalo Bills (crap)
    Miami Dolphins (crap)
    Dallas Cowboys
    New York Giants (crap)
    Cleveland Browns (crap)

Away
    New England Patriots
    New York Jets (crap)
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Washington Redskins (crap)
    Denver Broncos (crap)

Plus divisional crap.

CRAP!

17. texian

texian Member

Crap division with 2 teams that advanced in the playoffs and one still playing.

And our crap schedule is 2 games different from a first place schedule.

2018 Regular Season

Home
    Buffalo Bills (crap)
    Miami Dolphins (crap)
    Dallas Cowboys
    New York Giants (crap)
    Cleveland Browns (crap)

Away
    New England Patriots
    New York Jets (crap)
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Washington Redskins (crap)
    Denver Broncos (crap)

Home
    New England Patriots,
    Pittsburgh Steelers,
    New York Jets,
    Philadelphia Eagles,
    Washington Redskins

Away
    Buffalo Bills,
    Miami Dolphins,
    Dallas Cowboys,
    New York Giants,
    Kansas City Chiefs

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

And the best of the division rivals got cap money and can get that QB they've been missing (Cousins, Smith, Taylor)

19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

So going to the playoffs and a winning record with a 1st place schedule and absolute trash at QB is not good enough, but now that its an easy schedule it doesnt count..

TheFreak and texian like this.
  20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Opponents combined win % rankings after each season:

2014 - 32nd
    2015 - 23rd
    2016 - 14th
    2017 - 21st

Just for funsies -- over the last 10 years -- the Texans own 4 of the top 35 easiest projected schedules in the NFL (i.e. combined win % of opponents from previous season). And of course those have all come in the BOB era.

2015 - 4th
    2014 - 19th
    2018 - 27th
    2017 - 35th

But hey, let's celebrate pissing away one of the most talented defenses in recent memory while waiting for BOB to figure out what an offense is because we went 9-7 and made the playoffs in a division softer than wet toilet paper. Whoopie!!!

[​IMG]