1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Finally!! Root Sports will allow live online streaming

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by WizzyWig, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't see that on mine. I'm on the main Astros pag eon the LIte version I see some articles and a bunch of Esurance ads but nothing about in-market streaming.

2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Maybe that option only appears when there is a game being played. Check again after tonight's game starts.

Castor27 likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm really surprised this is being rolled out and handled about as under-the-radar as possible. Usually, MLB advanced media (and the team's own media groups) are a well organized, top of the fore-front type crew.

MLB.TV was the first of any of the major sports to offer any sort of broadband streaming at all.

Its almost as if they don't want the market to start streaming... perhaps there's limited bandwith/distribution in place? (doubtful, since they'd probably just be piggy-backing off the MLB.TV stream).

In the end, ROOT just needs to have their own app to offer it from there.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think the piece meal nature of it makes them not want to draw attention to this. Houston had enough problems just getting games on TV.

5. conquistador#11

it's weird. the astros have updated "news" on their page......on subscribing to mlbtv for $112 but still no mention on how to easily access the feed instead of fans having to feel like stalkers contacting their customer reps. Here is the email I got...
    "Dear Vladimir

Thank you for reaching out to us. We apologize for the misunderstanding and want to help you watch the Astros!

Please go to the Astros homepage in the At Bat App and find a "Watch on Root Sports" module. The module will only appear to fans in the local TV market while the streams are live. Since large Android tablets do not have a team page, the Root feature will not be available on those devices.

Regards,

MLB.TV Support
    ref:_00D1aJpU6._5001aH8NSo:ref

6. conquistador#11

omgz it worked!

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, it works... just not for Comcast users (singular majority in Houston), and not for android users (good chunk).

8. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

This is crap. Can't get anything with comcast.

9. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

Hmmm...I can't seem to find it either.
    Can someone post a screen shot of the "watch on root sports module"? Are the archived games working as well?

10. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I did find it on the mobile app. It only showed up when there was an actual game on. I have yet to find it on my laptop, but I also haven't looked in a few days.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Well that sucks.

I guess I'll just stick with the HD streams from ysihd.me

12. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

i been using it for a few weeks now. It just magically showed up one day without anyone advertising it. So i work out of town but luckily Tmobile gave away MLB subscription to watch the out of market game. In market i dont have direct tv so i use a relatives login to watch via that root sports module. The root sports module does not appear in mlb.com now or the mlb tv apple tv app but it does allow you to Airplay. So i use my burner iphone to airplay the games when im home now.

13. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Does anyone know if a non-Tmobile device can access this stream using an Xfinity login while being "outside of market/Houston"?

14. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

well i mean t-mobile gave the free 1 year subscription to all of their customer base via tmobile tuesday app. It doesnt matter which device you want to watch in (apple tv, iphone, android, laptop, etc). In order to get the perk you had to provide an email for which you were going to link your free 1 yr promotion to in mlb.tv login. Once linked then it allowed you to use that email anywhere you want as long as its outside the market. This was a limited sign up period so you cant get it anymore. Heck i have 4 lines and i only used up once so theoretically i could have created 4 logins for 1 year subscription from T-mobile.

15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Just checked this again and U-verse is now available.

Joe Joe likes this.
  16. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Surely it is people who have neither Comcast or AT&T that would benefit from this the most. The marginal benefit of providing streaming to people who already have Root Sports through a cable package is minimal.

What is needed is for this streaming service to be available - for a fee - to those who have "cut the cord".

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Not really. I have comcast and would love the ability to watch the games with a live stream. Right now you have to be in your house on the same network to watch it on another device. The ability to stream it on my phone when I'm not at home would be useful on countless occasions.

But yes, Root sports as a standalone pay service would be the ultimate game changer. I'd cut cable the next day.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Wow! I will be able to make use of it a little this way, but was actually hoping to be able to stream on my tablet when away from home.

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Sorry I meant that's how it's been in the past and is currently. Hopefully comcast is opening that up soon.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

As was said above, Comcast users can't stream the games unless they're at home.

I can actually stream Rangers games on the fox go app since they're still shown on fssw on Comcast.

Cable companies are going to hold on to these streaming rights as long as possible (or they'll no longer exist)... but they do need to be contracted with them.