1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FIFA] World Cup 2018 in Russia Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by daywalker02, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Raz

Raz Member

Fair enough, Mbappé had a lot of moments, especially against Argentina. It's just that he didn't really show up in the group stage and just a little versus Uruguay in the quarters or versus Belgium in the semis. Modric on the other hand orchestrated Croatia's game in each and every match and showed huge balls by taking another penalty against Denmark after he missed that one in overtime. He was more consistent than Mbappé, that's why he deserves it more imo.

AroundTheWorld, ramotadab and JumpMan like this.
  2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Modric was a bit disappointing this final game, though. He hardly had any effect. Mbappe just always seemed lethal with every touch.

Raz likes this.
  3. Raz

Raz Member

True, the French defense did a goob job taking him out of the game. That's why the penalty is even more unfortunate, Modric would've had more space to work his magic if the score was tied.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  4. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Cmon man, can't say that kind of stuff. It's not France's fault that R9 had an episode and Zidane had a miraculous game with his goals. France earned it with their play in 98.

They'd have been more lethal in front of goal with Karim but in terms of pressing, tracking back, etc, they'd be worse off. Giroud is Deschamps perfect striker. He is the 2018 Stephane Guivarch.

I'll put money on them becoming the first back to back champs since Brazil in the 50s. I think they'll win again in Qatar with Zidane at the helm.

Marteen likes this.
  5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

France won on talent alone, and young talent as well.

The chemistry and the fluid ball movement just isn't there yet.

Imagine how dominant they can be if they get rid of Deschamps and get a real manager.

Dont really hate or love France, but I do like several players on the team (Mbappe, Kante, Griezmann, Kos, who I feel sorry for not being there because of injury, and even Giroud who I am happy for) so it's all good.

Happier that Brazil, Spain, Argentina, and Uruguay didn't win it.

ferrari77 likes this.
  6. ferrari77

He is irritating but at least we had the great Clarence Seedorf and also the great Kelly Smith to provide analysis that the other FOX studio crew (including the rubbish Ian Wright) only could dream of providing.

Also, I can't call Lalas the worst analyst in any sport while Reggie Miller, Chris Webber and Nate Robinson are still employed by TNT.

Sigh,England. They actually have a strong central midfielder in Ruben Loftus Cheek who can be a quality box to box midfielder but he is simultaneously one of the most talented young English midfielders and bar none the laziest player on the England squad. So annoying. Need a Jack Wilshere type minus the frequent injuries.

There aren't many who are infatuated with Giroud or love him like you think though "leroy". I think more are Giroud haters than lovers. He's just a striker who does way more off the ball than he does on the ball or in front of goal. Hence why some managers especially Deschamps, love him.

7. ferrari77

She can wipe my tears any day. I love that lady. My president(once I move to Croatia and figure out how to get citizenship). :D

8. ferrari77

You're so right on regarding the handball rule. It's not defined properly. That's why I never understood the stick that Ivanovic got from fans while he was with Chelsea and would put both hands behind his back anytime he was by the box or in a 1v1 situation on the flank(to avoid any crosses hitting his arm).

Also
    Did I miss something from Pogba and Griez? Why are they jerks? I haven't heard of them getting involved in bad stuff(unless I forgot). I remember Griez and the bad decision to put on blackface and of course the pre-tournament "will he stay or leave Atletico" stuff. Was there something else that both have done?

9. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Hopefully says something the USA team played them to a draw a couple months ago. I think the team is full of new young talent that will hopefully qualify next time.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Who you got in the Bracket Challenge? You can guess who I got. I had Germany as runner up though.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Benzema has no fallout with the Federation, just with manager Deschamps.

His mistake has been cleared I think.

13. omgTHEpotential

I liked France better anyway, the only reason why I chose to root for Croatia was because it's such a tiny country. But after those comments I really wanted France to stick it to the racists. :)

14. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

Actually Benzema fell out of favor nationwide due to a blackmailing scandal he was involved in with on of the former France player Valbuena. As of today only a small (bad) fringe on the French population still support him and at some point it even seemed to take a political turn.

Personally i never liked his punk attitude, showing little respect to the flag, and I always thought he played bad in the French squad.
    We are better off with Giroud which isn’t a flashy player but gets the little things done.

AroundTheWorld and daywalker02 like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No problem, I was just suggesting, a Benzema type would be very good.

Does not matter if it's Benzema himself or a younger player who plays like him, has his instincts.

a la rockets likes this.
  16. Raz

Raz Member

You already mentioned a few characteristic things about Griezmann, yesterday he was on top of his game with the dive straight from the Neymar playbook and his goal celebration, grabbing his balls and doing the loser sign. I know that's from a video game, still childish and disrespectful. Would expect something like that from a 15 year old.
    Nothing specifically bad about Pogba lately, don't like him cause he stands for everything that's wrong with some of today's footballers: Caring more about their social media stuff and the next haircut than the actual game, being spoiled and self-obsessed, tending to not show an appropriate level of maturity and self-reflection.

Didn't dare to check it yet because I was so terribly wrong in group stage. I think I got France in the final so I might not be dead last, but somewhere around. Maybe I'll check my results later.

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, I was terrified of an early French goal and bus-parking. Thank goodness Croatia had a ton of fight in them. It's a shame that 2 of France's goals are controversial, a 2-2 match going into the late stages would've been a lot more fun than 4-1. Finals are usually so tense, so I'm glad that Croatia and their "playing with house money" attitude were in the match. A deserving runner-up.

If not for the Euro 2016 loss, would we be talking about this French team like we did the Spain team of the mid-2000s? Euro 2008 was seen as their coming out party and 2010 was the validation of their style. If France hadn't laid an egg at home against Portugal, we'd have a similar narrative around this generation of French players.

Onto the Women's World Cup and Copa America next year!

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1519 daywalker02, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  20. daywalker02