1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FIFA] World Cup 2018 in Russia Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by daywalker02, Nov 16, 2017.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

No Nainggolan for Belgium.
    Martinez better get to the Semi-Finals or he will be pilloried for dropping Radja.

Either way their squad is another loaded squad like Spain, Germany, Argentina.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/belgium/...-nainggolan-left-out-by-boss-roberto-martinez

ramotadab, Yung-T and Gdaliya like this.
  2. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

Unfortunately i dont see belgium getting to the semi-finals.
    Its just feels bad to see Radja out of the squad and his retirement from the national team.

Het Laatste Nieuws(very popular newspaper in belguim) did an online poll and 96% of the voters voted that Radja should have been chosen for the world cup squad.
    Its pretty obivuos what is the public opinion about this in Belgiun

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

of course not, I'd pledge my undying loyalty to dynamo and retire a very poor soccer player :D

ramotadab and ferrari77 like this.
  4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

From the NBC Sports Soccer facebook page...

An investment bank (UBS) ran 10,000 simulations and came up with these rankings for the probability of winning the 2018 World Cup...

[​IMG]

Just one slight problem with these rankings (aside from they're just wrong). If you have money invested with UBS, I'd consider moving it.

ramotadab and daywalker02 like this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

exactly, mexico is way too low.

6. ferrari77

I don't even know where to begin....
    what in the name of intelligence is going on?

[​IMG]
    Italy???

And there is no sane England fan that would ever say England has a better chance of winning than France, Belgium, Argentina...even Portugal and Uruguay.

No wonder GS runs the world and UBS gets their leftovers.

ramotadab likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Glad, you are getting back and everything is getting back to normal!

leroy likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Icardi can play for Spain, Italy, even considering Uruguay, Chile.......

Diego Costa a high profile Brazilian has paved the way.

#108 daywalker02, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
    ramotadab likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Maybe Alonso is just too offense minded for them....I dun know, it's more about camaraderie and chemistry.......

I dun think Alonso is left out because of his skillset and prowess.

10. Raz

Raz Member

Curious to find out where the 1.6% for Italy are coming from.

Also don't get the Brazil hype. They're not better than the 2014 team - and we know what happened back then. Quarter finals at best.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

He's played four matches in the WC 2014 qualifiers, so not able to play for another nation anymore.

ramotadab likes this.
  12. leroy

I really don't either. They are a talent laden roster. But they're not a great team any more. Personally, I think its

1. Germany - too deep and too talented
    2. France - almost as deep as Germany
    3. Spain - Hard to imagine they don't at least make the semis
    4. Belgium - if they can defend and avoid injuries, they have a real shot this time
    5. Portugal - Christiano
    6. Argentina - Messi
    7. Brazil - talented enough but not sure they can do it as a team.

No one else really has a chance, IMO.

ramotadab and daywalker02 like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dun underestimate the Power of the Underdogs and African teams. Mo Salah! Sadio Mane!

I think the 3 Lion Team will do some damage with their world class striker Harry Kane. Kick and Rush and no playmaker.

#113 daywalker02, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
  14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

15. leroy

There will be an African team that makes a run. I'd bet on 1 of Nigeria or Egypt...but neither are deep enough to survive long enough.

England? Seriously? I'd love for England to be relevant in this Cup and to make a deep run...but it ain't gonna happen.

ramotadab likes this.
  16. ferrari77

Nigeria's group is too difficult and they'll be lucky to make it out. Egypt will give a commendable performance I think and I believe Morocco will make a good run in it.

Give me some of what you're smoking

I wouldn't rate Portugal above Brazil. Argentina has way more than Messi though. That's an insult to them. They are a loaded team.
    Brazil I feel is more of a team now than they were in 2014. Talent wise they are probably similar or a little better than 2014 at the forward position but without Jo, Fred and Hulk. Firmino and Gabriel Jesus are better, more dynamic options to have. Plus wayyyyyyyyy less pressure than they had in 2014. I think the pressure to make up for 2014 will be there but without the pressure of playing at home. That's a big factor. The expectations of them in 2014 at home really wore on them I think.

ramotadab likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

England has always been Quarterfinal material, never said they were serious contenders but they mostly play well for a couple of games.

They always play Germany hard, and it's always fun, a mini derby if you will. Got to support on behalf of my British friend.

Penalty kickout is where they fail. And they always had bad goal keepers, Nick Pope is pretty cool.

Clear goal. With the new VAR.

18. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Well, if we're playing that game I guess we take back the '66 WC title from England. The only way they get to a final is to host it again.

19. Raz

Raz Member

Guess I'm one of the only ones here to not believe in the African teams. Some of them have extraordinary players but lack talent on several positions. Also, African teams are usually not very well organised, at least they haven't been in the past. I see Egypt possibly making it to the Round of 16 if the Refs don't favor Russia too much, but then they play either Spain or Portugal and that's the ticket home. Morocco, Nigeria and Tunisia are practically without a chance in their respective groups. Senegal will have a hard time against Poland, Columbia and Japan.

On the other hand, they don't have home court and hence probably not the refs on their side like in the opening match in 2014. Brazil's offense has improved, but their defense will struggle once again and that becomes a factor in the elimination games.

I hope ESPN or someone publishes a bracket you can fill-in like in March Madness - so everyone here can show their expertise. :cool:

ramotadab likes this.
  20. ferrari77

They are definitely not quarter final material this year. If they make it out of the group it will be an achievement. Lest we forget what happened to them in 2014 with a squad I'd take over this one. You're just humouring us. I'm realistic about England.
    I enjoy how you say England- Germany is fun. Fun for you Germans mostly smh.

ramotadab likes this.