1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FIFA] World Cup 2018 in Russia Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by daywalker02, Nov 16, 2017.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

May the Games begin next year......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yung-T likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

I can name everyone except that Senagal dude who looks like former player Demba Ba.

#2 daywalker02, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Will be an interesting tournament, with France and Germany being favourites in my opinion. France has a slight edge due to their offensive power and speed, but never count out Germany when it comes to tournaments and decisive games.

That said, it sucks to see some of the historical teams like Holland, Italy and Holland not participating, matches vs them always delivered.

daywalker02 likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Not sure who I'm going to pull for, yet. I've always been drawn to England and would like to see them have a successful tournament. Iceland and Peru make for interesting stories but not teams that will contend. I'm not the type of person that pulls for teams just because of their geographical proximity to where I live. I wouldn't pull for the rangers if they were in the World Series and I won't pull for any CONCACAF team in the Cup. Well...if Panama somehow made it to the Final...fine. I would cheer for that. I would agree that France and Germany are the favorites, with Brazil, Argentina, Belgium, and a few others not terribly far behind.

Without a dog in the fight, I'm just hoping for a good tournament. My enthusiasm is down on it right now w/o the USMNT but that will change as it gets closer. It's the first one w/o the US I will have watched. I was only 11 in 1986 and wasn't that into watching then. I'll be watching every match, though.

Raz, daywalker02 and Yung-T like this.
  7. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Drug Houses
    Lookin' like Peru

ramotadab likes this.
  8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

You know deep down you want to root for Mexico. No shame bro, do it!!!

9. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I'm Korean. Their team is garbage, although they have looked better recently beating Colombia in a friendly. Weird stuff always happen in the World Cup so who knows?

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

rooting for croatia this year.

hope brazil gets knocked the **** out. i hate their entitled superstars.

Torn n Frayed and daywalker02 like this.
  12. Raz

Raz Member

So before @daywalker02 completely floods the thread with random pics and videos, here are some facts...

FIFA WORLD CUP
    RUSSIA 2018

June 14th - July 15th
    Venues: Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Kaliningrad, Kazan, Nizhny Novgorod, Samara, Volgograd, Saransk, Rostov, Sochi, Yekaterinburg
    Defending Champions: Germany

Draw: December 1st

Pot 1
    Russia (hosts)
    Germany
    Brazil
    Portugal
    Argentina
    Belgium
    Poland
    France

Pot 2
    Spain
    Peru
    Switzerland
    England
    Colombia
    Mexico
    Uruguay
    Croatia

Pot 3
    Denmark
    Iceland
    Costa Rica
    Sweden
    Tunisia
    Egypt
    Senegal
    Iran

Pot 4
    Serbia
    Nigeria
    Australia
    Japan
    Morocco
    Panama
    South Korea
    Saudi Arabia

---

So the most interesting question in December will be, which team from Pot 1 faces Spain.

Any preferences/wishes for the Group stage? Want Russia out asap, England to advance and lose in penalties and Germany to avoid Croatia and Serbia (always **** up against them on bigger stages).

ramotadab, Yung-T and daywalker02 like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not that it matters but you German brehs usually dominate these threads so let's just make it more colorful with pics, gifs.

And the German teams never fail except the ones led by Berti Vogts and Ribbeck.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Title Match Germany Vs England.

England with a Wembley goal that gets called off by the video ref, then proceed to lose in the penalty shootout.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

No rooting interest for me this year with US and Italy out. I'll just watch for the enjoyment

17. leroy

The only rooting interest I will have in a game involving mexico will be for the team they're playing. They are the utah jazz/rangers/titans/cowboys of my most disliked teams...and they might be on the top of that list. Already had a hatred for the team going into this WCQ cycle...and then they laid down to Panama like a bunch of little b****es.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I think you meant Honduras instead of Panama but laid down is major fake news. Mexico were up twice in that game. The 2nd Honduran was a bizarre Ochoa own goal that actually temporarily injured him. It hit the crossbar and bounced back into the back of Ochoa's skull and bounced into the back of the net. Ochoa never even saw the double rebound. Honduras' winning goal was a massive offside call that was NOT called. Blatantly offside and if VAR was used it would have nullified. Even after all of that nonsense... Guardado damn near tied in injury time with a shot off the post. How you can call that laying down is beyond me. The only laying down was done by your boys down in TyT. Actually laying down isn't even right, they didn't show up. If if makes you happy, Australia beat the **** out of those cheating, diving, dirty Hondurans and they'll be watching just like USA.

You can do it, http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/russ...oting-for-mexico-at/dmtoflqqy0me1jn66m0l7ycxm

19. leroy

Oh...don't get me wrong...should've never come to a situation where we needed help. No excuse for that at all.

I do not like the mexican team or players. Never have and never will. Has nothing to do with anything other than I think they, too, are a bunch of dirty, whining, flopping, entitled little punks. That f*** marquez is on the level of Karla Malone to me.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun know one guy from Honduras or Panama, except the poster dude Gabe Torres.