1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Rockets' revamped bench key to championship aspirations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rockets' revamped bench key to championship aspirations
    Feigen, Houston Chronicle

Impressive as the play of the Rockets' second unit, and particularly of the newcomers that filled it, had been in training camp, play that inspired James Harden to say they were "whupping" the starters, they did it shorthanded. The best player that plays with the backups was still playing with the starters.

Second units generally do not include players with the credentials of Chris Paul, but in games, the Rockets stagger Harden's and Paul's playing time so that one always is in control of the offense.

That tends to give the Rockets' backups a considerable head start, even if Paul generally plays with the starters in training camp and practices. It also had the new faces that will generally join him to start the second and fourth quarters a sense of what could be.

"We can be really good, man," Rockets guard Michael Carter-Williams said. "We can compete with anybody. We have a very talented second group. We got athletes. We got shooters. We have everything that we need. As long as we come together, I think we can compete with a lot of first units."

The play of the Rockets' dramatically retooled second team is considered likely to be a significant factor in their championship hopes. With its members still to be determined, with Eric Gordon or James Ennis III potential starters to replace the departed Trevor Ariza, the Rockets already consider the bench to be a strength.

If Ennis starts, that would keep former Sixth Man of the Year coming off the Rockets bench. The Rockets already are likely to have 10-time All-Star Carmelo Anthony in a reserve role at power forward. Carter-Williams or Gerald Green would then provide either the speed and playmaking of Carter-Williams or firepower of Green.

"You still have scoring power off the bench with the second unit," Ennis said. "We have a bunch of scorers on this team. First unit, second unit, chemistry is the same with both.

"It's a good team overall. Some teams just have a good first unit. But this, overall, everyone down the line can step up and help."

Most of the attention will go to Anthony, particularly if he as expected comes off the bench. By playing P.J. Tucker as a backup center with Anthony at power forward, Anthony could get roughly the same playing time he would as a starter.

That would also leave decisions about the two players from among Clint Capela, Anthony and Tucker that would finish games. But as far as fit, Rockets coach Mike D'Antoni does not anticipate problems for the most basic of reasons. Talent, he said, usually works it out.

"Just another great player," D'Antoni said. "One more guy that can do a lot of things. We have to make sure all the pieces fit. But he's a Hall of Fame player. The more you have of those, the better you are."

By staggering Harden's and Paul's playing time, the Rockets will usually have two Hall of Fame-bound players on the floor at all times. The play of the group that starts and finishes games will most likely determine if they can reach the championship goal, but having a top point guard with the second unit is an advantage few teams if any enjoy.

With Carter-Williams, they add a third point guard (and eventually will have a fourth if Brandon Knight returns to form) that they did not have last season, providing a ballhandler to lighten some of the load on the stars.

Sometimes in practice, when we're on the same team, even when it's us three, I'm on the ball and those two are on the wing, whether I'm creating for them or I'm making the simple play to create something," Carter-Williams said. "I think it relieves some pressure off them, too.

"It definitely is an advantage. We have James and Chris. One of them is always out there. We have a guy that is an All-Star out there at all times. We're just a full-on team. We trust everybody. It's great to be a part of a group like this."

It's good enough that at least two starters can claim membership with the second unit. That might have sped the adjustments for the newcomers, though that will have to be determined when the retooled portion of the Rockets roster is tested in real games. For now, it's enough that the second unit is occasionally "whupping" the starters to see the potential.

"I love it," Tucker said. "It's unbelievable how fast new people come in and fit in with our team once they understand how we play, understand the things we want to get down on both ends of the court.

"Super excited. We talk about it every day, how much better we're getting as a team, how much we're building. Once guys really understand how we want to play, they just fall into place. Melo's been great. James Ennis has been great. Michael Carter-Williams has been great. All those guys, all the new guys have been really good."

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If the revamped bench is the key to CP3 making it through a whole deep playoff run healthy... then ok.
    Even with the injury, last year was the most playoff games he's ever played in a season.

3. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

ALL that matters is the health of Harden and CP3. If they remain healthy, we win it all. Morey will address deficiencies.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, but I can’t deny that we also have to hope Cousins doesn’t return to form and fit right in with the Warriors split-action sets, among other crap Bogut used to run.

5. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

I think with whatever move Morey will execute mid season will put in position to beat them.

D-rock likes this.
  6. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

That was true last year and most definitely true this year. Rockets IF healthy ALL the way....will go ALL THE WAY. GSW really will not beat the Rockets if Rockets are fully healthy.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  7. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Is PJ Tucker really the full time backup C. That's kinda disappointing if true. We have 4 centers, Nene, Joe cheese, hartenstein, Chriss, none of them capable of spelling Capela?

8. MVP4THREE

MVP4THREE Member

Joe Cheese is a clown please dont mention him again.

snowconeman22 and rhee like this.
  9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think we have the best bench in Rockets history.

Remlap, DonKnock and hakeem94 like this.
  10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

MDA gonna be like "what bench?" in the Playoffs when he goes to a 7 man rotation again.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

every year it seems, the rockets have a bench now and they're deep. then for whatever reason it sputters to the usual immediate core as the season progresses and weaknesses are exposed

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I am 100% sure rockets can handle Cousins , what remains to be seen is if they can handle these 3
    [​IMG]
    I hope Tilman paid them or has paid someone to make them officiate more fairly

i have watched warriors with Bogut, they had to relie on the refs to bail them out even back then

#12 hakeem94, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Know Your Role and clutchdabear like this.
  13. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Nope. Only in blow outs and b2b's

I think he is going with an 8 man rotation initially with EG, Melo, and MCW coming off the bench.

When Knight returns i think this gives Mike D a ton of options for a small ball lineups. He may stretch his
    regular season rotation to 9. GG and NeNe will get spot minutes and fill in when others are rested or injured.

The question is, after Melo and EG, who gets the 8th spot in the rotation come playoff time between Knight and MCW?

Could we possibly see a nine man rotation vs GS?

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

So no Gary Clark?
    I am not seeing it.

BaselineFade and saleem like this.
  15. xaos

xaos Member

I think we need a photoshopped bench with a rockets logo in place of the "key to a championship" melo picture ha

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I hope Clark cracks the rotation. I just don't know if MD would trust him.

He would have beat out MCW and GG to officially crack the regular rotation, but I would love to see it.

17. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I think GG plays before Knight at least, if not before MCW. He’s earned MDA’s trust.

saleem likes this.
  18. Game7

Game7 Member

Very happy with what we have. Looking forward to this season even more than last. I suppose that has to do with how good were last year. Expectations are high. We have a great shot at going to conference finals again. At that point, anything can happen.

19. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Haha yea that’s why Morey used part of the MLE to sign him to a 4 year deal lulz

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. Remlap

Remlap Member

It's like Christmas come early. . .

[​IMG]

hakeem94 likes this.