1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Federal court strikes down NC Voter ID

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Jul 29, 2016.

1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Actually, the POTUS is almost never the head diplomat, this is DoS's job. Also, I think in actual direct interaction, Trump would do quite well. It is the indirect communication that would be the problem. His twitter account would have to go. It just isn't really proper for the POTUS to use, anyway. Can you imagine all the posts a POTUS would have directed at him? One could hire a huge team of people to respond, and still never get to them all. Best to just stay way, which is what POTUS's seem to do.

That's not the greatest outlook, given what seems to be a resounding demand for change. But still a fair analysis.

Trump would disagree, and he would have a point. Foreign leaders respect strength of position. We haven't had that the last eight years. See above regarding tweet's...they would/should be a non issue, by being non existent as POTUS.

Accepting all the lies and corruption through the Clinton foundation as just status quo may be accurate, but would also say a lot about why so many people want change.

Personally, I think if more people were aware of the corruption rampant in our government, they'd be aghast. I've been involved in government contracting, and have seen how so many of them have separate companies set up to funnel deals to son-in-laws, etc, and how they wield their influence to direct contracts where they want them to go. Even all the worst conspiracy theorists have no idea how much corruption there truly is in our government.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How is Trump strong? I think you mistake bullheadedness for strength. World leaders would not respect him. Our allies would think he is reckless and ignorant, our enemies would do and would seek to exploit those qualities. Trump has already weakened NATO with his comments, and his words have already been used as recruitment tools by radical groups. He has not shown strength at all nor has he garnered respect. Hillary is much tougher and stronger. You can't manipulate her like you can with Trump.

If I am a foreign leader, all I have to do is praise trump, roll out the red carpet for him, do nice things for his family - and I'd be able to invade someplace and get his blessing.

Accepting all the lies about the Clinton foundation from things like "Clinton Cash" is the status quo from conservatives. The facts are that 80-90% of the money the Foundation takes in goes to programs with the rest to admin, travel, and such which is excellent for a foundation. It does a lot of good and I've seen it first hand.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You do know that the state department is a branch under the umbrella of the executive branch?

The president is the head of state. Head of states interact with other heads of states. You are just flat out wrong. The president of his own discretion would determine if a negotiation or diplomatic meeting is important enough where he or she meets directly. The secretary of state performs the day to day interactions with other diplomats but at the end of the day it's the president who has the final say.

I don't care how 'corrupt' the government is. That can only be solved through legislation which isn't the job of the president. They don't write bills. The most important trait of a president is stable temperament which Trump doesn't have and Hillary has. Hillary also has FAR more knowledge with foreign affairs than Trump who is confused whether Crimea was once part of Ukraine. Trump is a joke and would be a horrendous diplomat and a horrendous commander in chief. The worst I can say about Hillary is that 4-8 years down the line, this country will be in the same position it is today. I can accept that. I can't accept the uncertainty and unstableness that a potential Trump presidency would entail. It speaks volumes that you treat him like a child and have to remove his Twitter account from him. That's what you do to children not the ****NG PRESIDENT AND COMMANDER AND CHEIF.

1 person likes this.
  4. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...kinda the whole reason why that stunt by Congressional Republicans to send that "petition" to Iran to undermine the nuclear deal went sideways...

...Christ, we really need to teach civics in school again...

5. cml750

cml750 Member

This is truly sad. Oh well, the left has free reign to vote early and often now. The Chicago style politics rule now.

6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

https://twitter.com/apattani95

Details on Texas' new voter ID terms. Would allow someone to use utility bills, bank statements, and other docs in lieu of a govt issued ID to prove residency. TxTribune tweeted to follow this person for more details.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Supreme Court rejects appeal to reinstate North Carolina voter ID law
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...to-reinstate-north-carolina-voter-id-law.html

B-Bob, mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. NewRoxFan

Who would have thunk? And in Alabama... shocked! Shocked I tell you!

As it turns out ... Bentley's driver's license closures were racial, after all
    http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2017/01/as_it_turns_out_bentleys_drive.html

9. edwardc

edwardc Member

Wow what a jack*ss of a statement to make know the real reason for there argument is that they don't have the money to go get ID's which to me is still a lame excuse for not having a ID they would need one to cash a check.

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

You really think its just money? Drivers license applications take time as well. If you lack adequate transportation then its not exactly easy. In parts of Texas you have to drive hundreds of miles to find the nearest DMV. And imagine if you work in a job where you're paid hourly, how the heck are you supposed to get time off to go to the DMV during business hours?

To your banking analogy, I find that a little backwards. For example, Walmart's GoBank actually goes out of its way to assist potential account holders with identification. The federal mandates on bank accounts don't actually require any banking institution to physically view an ID and banks have some discretion in collecting identification. Yet voter ID laws leave little room for accommodation and consequently create more opportunities for disenfranchisement and voter suppression.

In theory I might be ok with some form of ID requirement for voting but the implementations have made little to no accommodations for those who have poor access and limited resources. And with our history of disenfranchising voters, its fair to view these laws rather cynically. I myself live in a state with no ID requirements. You can register online, via mail or DMV or on election day. And once you're registered, you don't have to present an ID. Also I live in a state with over 1 month of continuous early voting (either in person or by mail with no absentee requirements). And in a surprise to no one, my state consistently tops the US when it comes to voting percentages. We've had several studies of voter fraud with no evidence of fraud and even had a ballot referendum on voter ID which was voted down but what we do have is an electorate that does a good job of participating in elections.

11. NewRoxFan

This republican-led law seems like Michael Meyers... no matter how often it gets killed, it seems to rise and wreak havoc again...

Another court blocks NC voter ID law, citing ‘racially discriminatory intent’
    https://www.blueridgenow.com/news/2...ting-lsquoracially-discriminatory-intentrsquo

baller4life315 likes this.