1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fear: Trump in the White House-Bob Woodward

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by nickb492, Sep 12, 2018.

1. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

This is not a anti Republican post. More Twitter could have cost an Nuclear War post.

Read the book yesterday and honestly don't think there is too much you didn't know if you kept up with politics. Some interesting stuff with after the audio of Trump and Billy Bush came out. Priebus along with multiple Repulicans wanted to have a ticket of Pence/Condi Rice but Bannon convinced him to stay in the race. Would have been an intresting ticket. Most of the rest just further expounded on events that had been covered by other outlets. Really reminded me of Veep which makes me appreciate the show that much more. But one part stuck out that I had never heard before.

"Within the White House but not publicly, Trump proposed sending a tweet declaring that he was ordering all U.S. military dependents—thousands of the family members of 28,500 troops—out of South Korea. The act of removing the dependents would almost certainly be read in North Korea as a signal that the United States was seriously preparing for war. On December 4, McMaster had received a warning at the White House. Ri Su-yong, the vice chairman of the Politburo, had told intermediaries “that the North would take the evacuation of U.S. civilians as a sign of imminent attack.” Withdrawing dependents was one of the last cards to play. The possible tweets scared the daylights out of the Pentagon leadership—Mattis and Dunford. A declaration of intent to do so from the U.S. commander in chief on Twitter was almost unthinkable. A tweet about ordering all military dependents out of South Korea could provoke Kim. The leader of a country like North Korea that only recently had acquired nuclear weapons and had many fewer nukes than a potential adversary could be trigger-happy. A use-it-or-lose-it mind-set could take hold. The tweet did not go out. But Trump wouldn’t drop the matter, and raised the issue of withdrawing U.S. military dependents with Senator Graham".

2. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I was going to bump the other thread but this one is more tame. I'll get to meet Woodward this Monday and should have the opportunity to ask questions.

If anyone has read the book and has a reasonable question, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

4. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Please ask Mr. Woodward for me if he wouldn't wait another 30 years before he tells us who the "Deep Throat" in this White House might be...

...true...there are so many to choose from...and volunteers, at that, but...

...I don't think I could stand the suspense...

Amiga, FranchiseBlade and bobrek like this.
  5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If he was a tree, what kind of tree would he be?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Followed by... "if your book was read in a forest, would it make as much sound there as it did when it was released months ago?"

mdrowe00 likes this.
  7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Has anyone here listened to the podcast about Watergate? I reccomend it

FranchiseBlade and mdrowe00 like this.