1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Farewell Marwin: 2/$21M with the Twins

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by juicystream, Feb 22, 2019.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Good deal for him. Probably less than he expected going into the offseason.

3. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Hell yeah... he not only deserves his own thread; he deserves to never have to pay for a drink in this city again.

I hope he crushes it this season. I even hope he hits like .500 against us this year, as long as we beat the Twins in those games. Astro for life.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I hope he he kills it with Minnesota. Didn't particularly want him back for fit reasons, but all the players who contributed in 2017 will forever be golden in my book.

Back before the 2014 season, he looked like a trash Rule 5 player who was only in the bigs because we were so terrible. Soon he would be another name on the random player scrap heap from the tank seasons. Ended up making over 30 million dollars for himself, with more possibly still to come.

dmoneybangbang, awc713, arkoe and 9 others like this.
  5. Fantasma Negro

Still holding out hope that Dally returns. There's no shame in having a deep rotation

Madmanmetz and awc713 like this.
  6. conquistador#11

can't win the world series without his sports heroics. Going to miss him. I thought he would get 13 a year, good deal for the Twins. Much success to him.

mikol13 and whiskeyred like this.
  7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

At that contract, I wish we kept him, but it just wasn't going to happen once we acquired Diaz.

I'll definitely hope he does great. He really deserved an all-star nod in 2017, and would love to see him put it together like that one more time.

mikol13 and conquistador#11 like this.
  8. CinematicFusion

Rumor was Boris was looking for 60 million for Gonzalez. Not sure how many years. 3-4 maybe?

9. Buck Turgidson

He's got 2 years to show that '17 Marwin wasn't his fluke career year. Not sure where he fits in the starting lineup to begin the season (I'm assuming he replaces Adrianza on the roster), but he should yet again get plenty of ABs backing up the IF and LF. Twins will be interesting to watch this year, if a few things go right they win the division.

Diaz better be good.

msn, mikol13, eric.81 and 1 other person like this.
  10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

We all knew it was coming but that doesnt make it any easier to see him go. We'll always have 2017 and this little number.

11. the shark

the shark Member

Without him we don't win the WS in '17 and for that I will ALWAYS be grateful.

msn, Snake Diggit, astros123 and 5 others like this.
  12. SuraGotMadHops

For that kind of deal I feel like we could've kept him. I don't have any info on this, but I feel like the front office assumed, early on, that Marwin would be unaffordable so they got Diaz and Brantley, accordingly. Later when it turned out they could actually afford him, there was no spot for him. They probably tried to move Reddick in order to make a spot for him but nobody took him... all just my speculation. His whole free agency and the Astros' response just felt weird, I don't get it. Either way, really really really going to miss him.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Marwin isn't a good enough hitter to play 1B or LF regularly. He also doesn't have the defensive tools to play RF, so moving Reddick and keeping Marwin would still have left a hole defensively.

It's not like Diaz is a downgrade either, you could make a very good case that he's just as good as Marwin and free. If you told the front office before the offseason Marwin at 22 million or team controlled Diaz for virtually nothing, they almost certainly would have taken Diaz.

I honestly don't think the front office had any intention of offering Marwin a competitive deal.

14. Nook

Nook Member

At nearly 11 million dollars a year, Marwin better be good. That’s a pretty high AAV for Marwin.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  15. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Love Marwin and wish him the best! Would have loved to keep him but I guess it made sense to move on.

His play in 2017 will make him a Astro for life!

the shark and mikol13 like this.
  16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Wish he could have got that 4 year deal, but a pretty nice contract for him. Gracias por todo Marwin!

the shark and BamBam like this.
  17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

The Astros not resigning Marwin was most likely the right thing to do. That said, I’ll still miss him. Dude came up big on the biggest stage to help the team win the WS.

I waited 45 years to experience that feeling and I’ll never forget it. Marwin will always have a place in my Astros loving heart.

Good on you, Marwin. Wish you all the best.

elrond, msn, Madmanmetz and 4 others like this.
  18. astros123

astros123 Member

I wonder what his impact in the clubhouse will be now that hes gone.

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

One of my favorites 'stros and hope he has a great season with the Twins. I've always liked the Twins (small market, play hard, Carew, Puckett, Blyleven, Oliva, Killebrew)...

No Worries likes this.
  20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He had a 2.5 war last year and 4 war the year before. $/WAR is about 10 mil so the twins got a good deal.

No Worries likes this.