1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FAQ for BBS rookies.

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by moestavern19, Mar 7, 2009.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

With all the constant, repetitive questions lately, maybe this will clear things up for some of these newbs who can't find this info in other places.

Question: Why can't I post threads?

Answer: Posting threads on this forum is a privilege you must earn. After you "pay your dues" commenting on the threads of others, and proving you are mentally competent and articulate enough to contribute to this forum, you will most likely earn your member status.

Question: I think I'm a good poster, why have I not been made a member yet?

Answer: There are so many new posters on the BBS, it is impossible for Clutch to monitor everyone posting to see if they are worthy enough for member status. You need to be patient, there are other members of this forum who have the ability to reference you for member status. DO NOT whine about not being made a member yet. This will certainly not help your chances.

Question: I've been demoted, what should I do?

If you've been bumped down to rookie, that should be a wake-up call to examine what kind of threads you've been posting. Again, there is really nothing you can do about this demotion, you have to remember this is Clutch's world and he was gracious enough to let you live in it. But you had to go and screw it up, so all you can do is suck it up for the time being.

Question: How can I become a Contributing Member

Answer: While Clutch does receive some funding from ad revenue, clutchfans still needs personal contributions to help maintain the high costs of keeping the website running smoothly 24/7. http://clutchfans.net/tipjar.cfm <--- this is a link to the clutchfans tipjar, contributing to the site is how you achieve Contributing member status. Donations are greatly appreciated.

Question: What are the advantages of being a Contributing Member?

Answer: You will be able to search for old posts using the search function, and you will also be able to edit your posts. Also, sometimes in the past the board was shutdown to the general posters during times of high traffic and was only available to contributing members.

Question: I've been banned, what should I do?

Answer: Lets talk mostly about what you should NOT do.

1.) Do not send Clutch or the Clutch Crew pestering emails demanding to be reinstated or getting an "explanation." This website is NOT a democracy where you have freedom of speech, you are a guest of Clutch and he provides you with a community to voice your opinions, but you must adhere to a certain set of rules.

2.) Do not get your "buddy" or "new account" to post threads asking for your reinstatement, this will get you nowhere. Depending on your ban offense, You could be put in a "timeout" or you could be out for a long time. You have no control over this process, and much like a defendant in a trial, you are probably better off keeping your mouth shut and taking your punishment.

Question: Why was I banned?

Answer : There are many things you could do to get yourself banned. Namely, pervasive name calling or personal attacks against another poster. Classless insults or slurs pertaining to race, religion, sexual orientation. Ultimately, Clutch is watching you and your conduct is expected to be at a certain standard. This is mostly a PG-13 rated board. Sexually explicit or extremely vulgar dialogue is frowned upon.

Note : Please use caution when posting images, many people view this board at work and anything remotely questionable could be considered an offense to them. Please have the courtesy to say "NSFW" (not safe for work) if you post an image that could be considered risque. Also, you are walking a thin line by linking to or posting borderline p*rnography, there is little tolerance for this.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

why are you trying to split the fans?
    just because you are 99er doesn't mean you are that much superior to everybody else!
    :rolleyes:

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly. This thread is really unnecessary. Just sticky all tinman's educational polls. That'll straighten out all the rooks.

4. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I have a helpful algorithm for rookies to follow when they post.

1) Write your post.
    2) Preview your post before submitting.
    3) Review the preview from Step 2 and ask yourself "Does my post add any insight or humor to or somehow elevate the discussion of this thread?"
    4) If the answer to Step 3 is No, either abandon said post (Exit Loop) or edit your post and return to Step 2.
    5) If the answer to Step 3 is Yes, return to Step 3 and ask yourself again.
    6) Submit your post.

I think if they followed this advice, we would have a lot less clutter on the boards.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I do not agree.

Telling some random newb about how Vernon Maxwell owned Michael Jordan in some regular season game doesn't really help them become a better poster.

I am trying to provide a public service, even I myself have had a lot of new posters actually contacting me about BBS related things.

6. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this thread, while perhaps divisive, will contribute far more than any of tinman's polls.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Lost your sarcasm detector? ;)

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Great algorithm, Scribo. But I have a feeling that somewhere between step 3 and step 4, it will be short-circuited and jump right to step 6. :D

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

my polls are necessary to balance good and evil, and north from south.

without polls, the earth would not spin and we'd all fly into space

and it is cold in space

jcf likes this.
  10. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

two more things that the rookies should read too:

1) dont say that you "posting threads" privileges, because you have a very important, and very unique thread that you have to post (this is not true, especially on the GARM, every idea is been revisited several times, and if its important, like a trade or something, someone (sometimes more than 1 person) probably posted that, before you thought about posting about that.

2) Dont post things like this: I cant make threads, and this was the first thread I saw and I know it doesnt have nothing to do with the topic but what do you think about... ( insert totally different subject from the topic you are posting in)

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

does anyone see the College Sports Minute Video down at the bottom of the page where the ads go?

12. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

moestavern19, thanks so much for this thread LoL...i read this while i was...u know...great thread, now i know what to do =)

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Question: Should I post using "Smilies"? :confused:
    Yes. You should post using SMILIES. In fact, never... :eek: no, ALWAYS post with smilies. :cool:

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

here's one that only a few others here would appreciate.

Question: I donated and I want to know why I haven't been upgraded yet, should I email every member of the Crew and ask them about it?

Answer: No, the only person with the power to check the paypal donations and upgrade the right people is Clutch, and he will get to it when he has time....he is a VERY busy man with many responsibilities both here and in Real Life.

1 person likes this.
  15. TheBigAristotle

Well, it's money. It's an investment like anything else. If you pay for something, you expect generally to get some benefit from it.

I won't disagree with Clutch being busy but there should be another admin or something if that's the case for those that contribute.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

If you "donate" to something, you generally do NOT expect to get some benefit from it. "Donating to the tip jar" can easily fall under that category. Clutch happens to give people a few benefits. But it's a donation.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Donating and demanding to be upgraded to a contributing member every 2 days isn't going to get it done quicker.

Again, like with anything else... patience is key. If its been a while, you might try a polite email or a thread, but you have to remember Clutch runs this site in addition to having a full time job and a family. Add on that how many members this board has, and you're looking at even less of a chance of him getting back to you right away.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

3.) Do not create a new account/identity and adopt a totally new posting style and expect that no one will eventually figure it out. Unless you’re really good (like 3814), your old personality will eventually seep into your new identity and we will figure out who you are and you will get the heave-ho once again. I suspect there are several February rookies who are doing this. If Clutch had the time and/or the inclination, I’m sure he could figure out who they really are…that is, if we don’t first.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

All he has to do is check IP logs, if he was so inclined, but as R2K so eloquently pointed out, Clutch has a real life too....so time is precious.

DD

1 person likes this.
  20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Spoiler tags are great. To do them just do tags around whatever you posted like below, but with a forward slash in front of the second tag just like for quotes and urls:

I really wish these were part of our choices in the menu, as many member don't know how to do them.