1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fantasy Football advice thread [2017-18]

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by YOLO, Aug 9, 2017.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I would make that trade for sure.

Is there anything left over on the wire, RB wise?

The Stig likes this.
  2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Y'all better get Kareem Hunt. Spencer Ware might be hurt.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

i was just about to ask haha. what do you think of hunt now that ware is carted off

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I drafted him last night in a casual buddies league that I have won 3 years in a row.

5. The Stig

The Stig Member

Thanks!

I'm going for Foreman per Moe's advice.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Whoa, that's terrible news for Ware.

Hunt in the 10th yesterday is looking REEEEEALLLY good right about now tho.

7. The Stig

The Stig Member

Apparently, Edelman went down too. Who's the guy to get if he's gonna miss time?

Hogan? Amendola?

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Nobody will assume Edelman volume, so that isn't as big as Ware.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Looks like Hogan might be the guy to own if Edelman misses extended time but there are so many weapons that he could be just as inconsistent as Edelman would have been this season.

10. The Stig

The Stig Member

I was near the bottom of the WW priority list so I ended up burning it to get Hogan in for Joe Williams. I'm gonna take a chance on any Patriot WR for as long as Tom Brady is there. Now, I just gotta get load up on lotto tickets (Foreman and maybe Jacquizz Rodgers).

I'm still hesitant on pulling the trigger on AJ Green/James White for my Crowell/Benjamin deal. @moestavern19 do you mind chiming in on this?

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It appears like a fine deal, but James White seems useless for fantasy purposes.

The Stig likes this.
  12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

OK... had the draft yesterday (12 standard, snaking, I was 12th). First two picks we good (OBJ and Gordon at 12/13). Was really hoping either Gurley Cook, or Crowell would have slipped to me at 36/37 but no dice, so went WRs (Keenan Allen, Jeffery). Unfortunately, RBs kept disappearing, so I am now weak at RB: Gordon, Tevin Coleman, Terrance West, Rob Kelley, and Samage Perine. My WRs are decent (OBJ, Allen, Jeffery, Kelvin Benjamin). TE sucks (Fleener after a TE run that went Henry, Doyle, and Hooper). MY QBs are Big Ben and Dalton. Last two picks were Prater and LAR (DST's were chosen in 9th and 10th rounds!).

So here's the question... amazingly, Kareem Hunt was not drafted (I thought he went mid draft and didn't even check). And it appears I have Waiver claim #1 due to being 12th in draft. I put a claim in on him that supposedly happens on Aug 29. Seems like a lucky break to get the hyped waiver add at RB at a time of need, but always worry about using a #1 waiver so early in the season. So, should I stay with the claim and add Hunt?

Second RB question... Coleman seems like great investment should Freeman go down. He seems to get numbers even as RB2 in ATL. The question is... do I play him even if Freeman starts?

Last, with my two Qs, some are advising me to get rid of one since both are pretty similar. My worry is that players in this league seem to grab two QBs, and the waiver list right now includes Goff, Hoyer, Glennon, Savage, Kessler/Kizer). So sure would hate to have to dip into a FA with these as the best possibilities should Ben get hurt, or bye week, or road suckage. So is keeping two QBs a mistake?

btw, hate being at the end. It was great to choose the two guys that slipped to me, but hated seeing runs on positions like RB and TE.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Tevin Coleman is definitely a flex play even as a backup, he's more likely to blow up in games Atlanta is favored by 6 or more.

Get Kareem Hunt now. Burn that wire.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  14. The Stig

The Stig Member

JFC. I can't get any trade talks going in my league. Either I'm really overrating my players or they're seeing something that I don't see. Like some of what they're saying are absolutely ridiculous. One claimed that my WRs (M.Thomas, Crabtree, Benjamin, Wallace, Hogan, and John Brown) are some of the worst WRs they've ever seen. One person even went and said that M.Thomas is a Flex play at best...The below are offers I got for trades.

Example 1: Offered Ty Montgomery OR Abdullah for my Michael Thomas

Example 2: Offered Jamaal Williams for my Crabtree

Example 3: Offered Rawls and Devante Parker for my Shady McCoy

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Last year my league was very hard to complete any trades. Most trade offers go ignored. And the few that garnered responses got the type of counters you described. I persisted and made a few trades, one that was bad (my Blount for Fitzgerald), one that was good (my Rivers for Baldwin), and one that was a push (my Ajayi and Pryor for Julio).

The Stig likes this.
  16. The Stig

The Stig Member

Wow, glad I'm not the only one who's going through this. I mean for trades, especially before season starts, do you take into consideration which round X player went? Like someone in my league drafted Fournette in the 1st round and is asking for Shady McCoy or OBJ in return...

I'm thoroughly confused by how people value their players.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Rookies are always overvalued, and one of the main reasons I missed out on Zeke last year. Like I said before he blew up, you're investing the most capital you have on an unknown asset. I was much more comfortable taking David Johnson instead. Zeke had a perfect situation to see heavy usage in a run-first offense with the league's best line, but even then things don't always go as planned.

One of the reasons rookies are so overvalued is that same unknown factor. The range of outcomes is substantially wider. Remember that opportunity is always what matters first. Then team offense and role, and then skill (are they actually good?).

Crowell is a perfect example this year. He's not really that good, but he's safe in that he's going to receive consistent opportunity. The poor offense he's is likely to be a cap on his potential. His opportunity and role trump his talent. Opportunity is always king so despite talent and team offense a guy who isn't very good on a not very good team becomes a 4th round fantasy pick. The Browns have a talented offensive line and will be starting a raw rookie QB, so Crowell's opportunity will remain.

#77 moestavern19, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    The Stig likes this.
  18. The Stig

The Stig Member

Well said @moestavern19. My reasoning on some of these players are kind of similar to what you said. After getting burned by CJ Anderson in 2015 and Gurley last season, my valuation went like this: OL > Volume (Opportunity) > Offense > Talent. I learned it the hard way when I realized that Gurley had the Volume and Talent but nothing else after that.

I was just venting my frustration on my league because they label my offers as ridiculous (Crowell/Benjamin for AJ Green/James White or Shady/M.Thomas/Benjamin for Howard/Evans/J.Stewart) while sending me offers like Rawls/Devante Parker for Shady McCoy.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You've got some shady owners in your league -- Thomas is a universal 1st round pick.

The Stig likes this.
  20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The truth is that RB is always going to be volatile and that is why in a PPR league going zero RB is the best strategy if you can't land one of the top RBs. We've seen plenty of rookies and no-names blow up big and then crash and burn (Trent Richardson anyone?). Back in 2012 I picked up Alfred Morris off the waiver wire before week 1 started in a money league because nobody seemed to even realize he was the starter in WAS during the RG3 rookie year. That ended up winning me the league. Instead of chasing Trent Richardson early in the draft, I waited and poached a top RB off the wire. Both would have paid off for you that year, but Morris costs a fraction of a penny compared to T-Rich.

So if you think about draft picks as capital, think about investing it wisely. Unknown assets do have the potential to discover mass opportunity I have also won leagues picking up the likes of Victor Cruz, Laurent Robinson, Odell Beckham, Arian Foster, etc off waivers over the years. Robinson was a total luck thing. He ended up catching like 12 TDs that year from Romo and was never heard from again. Why was Odell Beckham not hyped at all during that draft like the other rookie receivers? He wasn't 6-5 240, and he was injured throughout training camp. He was hidden from view so his price tag was nothing (Corey Davis this year is also being hidden because nobody has seen anything out of him). People also assumed Victor Cruz was a clear WR1 there and that would cap ODB's ceiling.

The sudden rise to the top from Odell was a total outlier. Having watched ODB at LSU, I liked him as a player. Saw him make a lot of great catches, you can tell he was a natural, but his measurables didn't scream stud Pro Bowl WR like Mike Evans or Julio. But I liked enough of what I saw from him to take a chance and it ended up being a league-winning move.

That is really the key to fantasy. Lottery tickets. Always leave room on your roster for the guys who have a clear path to opportunity, have the talent, and the potential for a bigger role in a decent offense.

peleincubus and The Stig like this.