1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fantasy football advice thread [2016-17]

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by BigMaloe, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Got the 11 hole in a 12-team PPR tonight. Not exactly where I want to be this year. Praying one of the tier 1 WR's fall to me. Or at least Gronk. The way this league drafts, I feel like I'm going to be forced to grab RB value. David Johnson I wouldn't be too upset about (yep, he might drop that low), but it's not how I want to go about things...

Any ideas?

+1 for 50yd TD receptions or runs.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

With the 11 I'd probably go WR/RB. The art is taking the guy you can't live without because the snake will probably grab Gronk if he lasts there. If Gronk is gone, I'd strongly look at Keenan Allen or Allen Robinson. I think either of them are PPR monsters.

As far as RB, if Johnson and Elliott are gone I'd probably think hard about Lamar Miller. Maybe even LeSean McCoy.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Who would yall rather roster. V-Jax, C. Mike or Ty Taylor.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

C-Mike is like the player nobody can quit. He just won't die.

5. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

What tight ends are you looking at later on? I picked up Ebron, but not really sure who to go with. Jesse James?

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I like Jared Cook as a late round or waiver TE2.

7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Question Moe, I'm also pretty bullish on cooks potential this year so I'm curious on how you stand on this. I'm currently trying to decide what's better for my draft strategy slated for Saturday (its my big money league for the year).

Trying to decipher whether I should use a high or mid rd pick on a TE like gronk or reed compared to waiting late for a couple late rd TEs.

Getting a every week TE surely has its benefits and saves a roster spot, but it takes a valuable mid rd pick that could take a productive w/r.

In years past I have been strict late round 1 the because I've always been able to land a delanie type player. This year tho he's being targeted along with other middling TEs.

So should I target gronk late 1 early 2nd or aim for 10-12th rd and pick up say cook and martellus? Tia and your insight is always appreciated.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think you can easily punt the TE position. I'm not a fan of drafting Gronk. I think the opportunity cost is just too high as well as the risk versus reward. You give yourself the advantage of gaining a nice points edge but at the cost of losing out on a stud WR or RB. In a PPR it may make more sense because adding in reception value creates an even bigger gap between the rich and the poor.

To me Jordan Reed at around 35th overall is a much better value than Gronk at the end of the first round. Expert bias comes into play too much at certain positions. Reed is viewed as a big injury risk, but if he goes down, you didn't waste your 1st round pick on him like if Gronk were to go down.

Going with Zero-RB this year has afforded me the opportunity to nab Jordan Reed in the 4th round if I have already gotten 3 WRs 1-2-3 and I feel I can still wait on an RB. I'm not afraid to trot out the likes of Ryan Mathews, Matt Forte, Jeremy Langford, Gio Bernard, etc if I can start WR-WR-WR-Reed.

I see immense value in Jordan Reed at his current ADP. Compared to what else is left at the TE position after Gronk and Reed go, you're left with... Greg Olsen. Olsen is consistent. You know what you're going to get with him.

After Olsen is gone, you're stuck with question marks. Is Delanie Walker going to come close to replicating last season? Travis Kelce in a different system would be a game-breaker, but he's in a conservative offense. Coby Fleener's ADP is optimistic considering he's never been a TE1 before even with a QB who put up a 40TD season.

Zach Ertz is unpredictable. We've been waiting on him to emerge for like 12 years now. Tyler Eifert is on the shelf for too long to be draftable until the last rounds. Even a healthy Eifert isn't likely to replicate his ridiculous TD percentage of last year.

So in summation, I think if you can't find Reed or Olsen at a good price, my advice would be to wait and see and grab somebody under the radar like Jared Cook or Jesse James.

9. The Stig

The Stig Member

Would you trade Alshon Jeffery for Jamaal Charles? I've been sitting on this trade for a couple hours this morning and I can't seem to make up my mind. My gut is telling me to stay put but it's Jamaal freaking Charles. Someone please help?

RBs right now: Gurley, Rawls, Duke J, R. Mathews, C-Mike
    WRs right now: Evans, Jeffery, Decker, Crabtree, D.Parker

10. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

PPR or standard league?

Charles is unlikely to start Week 1.

http://nesn.com/2016/09/jamaal-char...iefs-rb-likely-wont-start-week-1-vs-chargers/

11. The Stig

The Stig Member

12. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Doubt David Johnson will be there for you.

Since this is PPR, Zeke might make it to 11. I'd go Zeke and on the turn either Mike Evans or Brandin Cooks.

If Zeke is gone, I'd go for the two WRs I listed.

On your next turn, target Randall Cobb and Jeremy Hill/DeMarco Murray/Moncrief.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

with that team i honestly would stay put. Both jeffery and JC have their injury concerns respectively but it seems at this point JC is the bigger question mark, with both health and now workload

1 person likes this.
  14. Kate81

Kate81 Member

I'd stay put with the roster you have. They're both risks, but something is telling me Alshon is due for a better year.

1 person likes this.
  15. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Coin flip, but I'd stay put. Both are made of glass, but Charles has to worry about West and Ware cutting into his workload.

1 person likes this.
  16. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Depends what the rest of your roster looks like.

Without knowing. I'd go C-Mike.

17. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Drop Torrey Smith, pick up Dorsett.

18. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Depending on your flex situation. I'd strongly consider taking that deal.

19. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Good team, I wouldn't carry two QBs but I wouldn't drop any of the ones you have either.

Try to trade one of them for a RB.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

People wasting a first rounder on Cam Newton amazes me. You could find Tyrod Taylor at the end of the draft and have a high floor QB2 with QB1 upside.