1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fan sues Saints, wants refund over protests during national anthem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by don grahamleone, Dec 12, 2017.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

On the merits...

1. Is the national anthem what people pay money to see? Is that what football players are paid to perform? (No and no.) The price of the ticket is, sure, for the "whole spectacle," but it is expressly to see an entire professional football game.

2. Suing for behavior before the opening kickoff would then open up lawsuits to player behavior as they stretch (did they fart or make funny faces or grab their crotches?), or during halftime (he didn't run off the field fast enough for my liking), or after the game, (I didn't like that he hugged players on the other team and laughed with them -- it's un-American).

So I honestly don't see how this could possibly stand up to any scrutiny in court.

I think the only sports game lawsuits that can work would be: (1) fan was physically injured (e.g. malice at the palace), or (2) paid-for game was not delivered (lighting malfunction, or players don't come back after halftime or something like that).

But I'm not a lawyer. I didn't even sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I knew they could dismiss a case, but they can just call something asinine and be done with it? This makes it seem like the judicial branch has the ability to be corrupt. I know judges go thru elections, but in-between elections they have this power? This must be where the court of appeals comes in.

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

is it tho?

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's more like a stripper playing the anthem and kneeling before during her thing and kneeling for real.

Whether you're still game or not, that wasn't part of the bargain.

/invisible fan esq.

5. don grahamleone

haha, you still don't come off like a lawyer or someone follows law, but this seems like the initial basis for the case the Saints will likely start from. So thanks. I think you took like 45 steps all at once and step one was probably all I was looking for. This is a *tangent, but I could see this whole case getting more complex too. I wouldn't put it past the league to remove the national anthem from the game as a result of (not this specific case, but) the pressure of the whole thing. This league seems to panic more than others when they react to anything. /tangent

6. Major

Major Member

Yup. The judge can technically basically do anything he or she wants. The plantiff could appeal to a higher court if they really want to, but the higher court can do the same. In this case, I imagine if the trial judge dismisses the lawsuit with a "you're stupid", the appeals court would just say "eh, we're not accepting your appeal. - the lower court's decision stands" and not comment further.

7. Major

Major Member

Here's a site with some funny court decisions:

http://www.duhaime.org/LawFun/LawAr...nd-Opinions-USFJDO-Judging-With-Attitude.aspx

This one in particular is great. This is the entire decision (more info at the link):

http://www.duhaime.org/LawFun/LawArticle-1620/Denny-v-Radar-Industries-Inc-1970-USFJDO-1.aspx

The Decision

The appellant has attempted to distinguish the factual situation in this case from that in Renfroe v. Higgins Rack Coating and Manufacturing Co., Inc.. He didn't. We couldn't. Affirmed. Costs to appellee. All concurred.

Rashmon and don grahamleone like this.
  8. don grahamleone

So it's difficult for the judicial branches to be completely corrupt because if any cases did have merit, someone could at least potentially double-check their work. Gotcha.

9. don grahamleone

The brevity is funny, but I've read one of the longer ones and it's a whole lot funnier. I think I'll keep reading more. Thanks!

Edit: Reading the "Lawyer's Secret Pact" with the crayon bit... seems funny until you read the judge's background... makes me worry about our system!

#29 don grahamleone, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The DOD pays for these pre game events that honor the troops. It's obviously for recruitment reasons. But I doubt the NFL will just stop their contract with the DOD.

mdrowe00 and don grahamleone like this.
  11. bongman

bongman Member

If you are homophobic and watched brokeback mtn not knowing the content of the film and watched it anyway. Do you deserve a refund?

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If I was homophobic and went to A NFL game not knowing what to expect,
    I would be very displeased to see large, sweaty, overly muscled manly men
    grabbing each other, hands not caring where they went.

I would definitely want my money back.

13. bongman

bongman Member

Did you finish the whole game? If so, wasn't that what you paid for but just got something extra?

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

So if some Clemson fan bought season tickets to watch Deshaun Watson play and he gets injured and is out for the season, can that Clemson fan sue for damages? I mean... The Texans printed a picture of Watson on the tickets so he’s an expected part of the show!

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Hard to imagine any outcome that isn't a judge just throwing out the case. The ticket is to view an NFL football game. If you don't enjoy the experience, then that is just buyers remorse.

The protests even began last year, so when he paid for the season tickets there was a reasonable expectation that players may sit/kneel during the anthem in protest.

There is also a certain irony in suing a Navy veteran (Tom Benson the Saints owner) for a perceived insult to veterans.

16. joeson332

joeson332 Member

wypipo sue for everything

Invisible Fan likes this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Just let it play in the background and watch his face.

B-Bob likes this.