1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fan sues Saints, wants refund over protests during national anthem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by don grahamleone, Dec 12, 2017.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-wants-refund-player-protests-national-anthem

Fan sues Saints, wants refund over protests during national anthem

A season-ticket holder has sued the New Orleans Saints, requesting a refund of his ticket costs and attorneys' fees because of players who kneel before the national anthem at home games and sat during the anthem in a Week 3 road game.

The fan, Lee Dragna, claims in his lawsuit that he bought the tickets for the "entertainment and intellectual enjoyment" of himself and his family and that he never would have bought them if he had known that players would "use Saints football games as a platform for protests." The suit claims Dragna has not attended a Saints home game since Week 2.

The Saints declined to comment, saying they had turned the matter over to their legal department. However, a source said the organization is "taking this very seriously, and this fan best have his facts in order."

"The Saints will come back at this fan who has brought forth incorrect information in his statement with everything to defend the team, organization and players," the source said.

Saints running back Mark Ingram also took to Twitter to respond to the fan's lawsuit.

Ingram was one of 10 Saints players who sat on the bench during the national anthem at Carolina in Week 3 after President Donald Trump made derogatory statements toward players around the league, including Colin Kaepernick, who had been protesting racial inequality and police brutality by kneeling, sitting or raising fists, etc., during the national anthem.

After that week, Saints players decided to kneel before the anthem in a show of unity, then to all stand together during the anthem. That's what they have done before every game since Week 4, and no Saints player has ever kneeled during the anthem.

Many fans booed during the first home game when Saints players kneeled before the anthem. There were some audible boos at the next home game as well. But there has been no noticeable mass reaction from fans since then.

The lawsuit, which was first reported by the New Orleans Advocate, also claimed that some Saints players refused to take the field until after the national anthem in a Week 2 home game against the New England Patriots and that many fans booed and cursed at them when they entered the field, though there has never been any report of players staying behind in the locker room to protest during the anthem.

The lawsuit said players who refused to stand for the anthem in Week 3 were "apparently ... following the lead of Colin Kaepernick by disrespecting the flag, the Anthem, the USA and those who have served and are serving the USA in our military."

The lawsuit also accuses Saints owner Tom Benson and coach Sean Payton of publicly condoning the practice.

[My Question/Section] I'll try not to ask any questions about the merits of this lawsuit with regards to opinions about this case. I know this is a hot issue right now around the people of our nation have picked sides. I accept that people have picked sides. So my question is about ONLY the law and opinions based on prior rulings or written law that may affect this man's case. That being said, based on law [and I expect you to give reason based on something other than your personal feelings], what will be the likely outcome of this case?

Thank you for keeping your personal feelings/sentiments/fire out of the discussion. I'm very curious about this case and look forward to reading any answers that might be helpful.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's ridiculous.

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

suit is legitimate if team "advertises" the national anthem as part of the even. that said, fake patriotism like anthems at sporting events is stupid and cringy. my sons little league games play the anthem for godsakes. it's embarrassing.

4. don grahamleone

I deleted the section that bears no weight here for me. I don't want to know about your opinions on the practice. However, what does "the even" mean in your sentence above? Also, can you back this up with any written law or court ruling history?

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Any fan at any time and for any reason at any event can claim not to have been entertained or have received intellectual enjoyment. It's preposterous.

6. hlcc

hlcc Member

I think he meant "event".

ipaman and don grahamleone like this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I can't tell for sure if the plaintiff is a indignant mouth breather or an opportunistic mouth breather.

8. Major

Major Member

I don't know Louisiana law, but I hope they allow recovery of legal fees on frivolous lawsuits there. The only good outcome here is the Saints spending a lot of money to defend the case and then seeking to recover that money from the dumbass fan.

don grahamleone likes this.
  9. don grahamleone

Please delete if possible. I'm honestly trying to keep to facts or opinions that show reason based on facts. So if what you said is true, and it might be, what is your basis for how courts will treat this? Here's reality, it's a court case. So public opinion is out here. We've moved onto judges now and the judge is asked to base opinion on law. I expect you to do the same or just not say anything.

I personally don't know much about the law, but if you do, please share. The law is available to the public for free, but that doesn't mean I've read or understand it. If you do, please educate the dummies like myself. If you only have an opinion that's personal, please state that it is your personal opinion, but I did ask people to leave personal opinions out of this thread.

10. don grahamleone

Please delete if possible. I'm honestly trying to keep to facts or opinions that show reason based on facts. So if what you said is true, and it might be, what is your basis for how courts will treat this? Here's reality, it's a court case. So public opinion is out here. We've moved onto judges now and the judge is asked to base opinion on law. I expect you to do the same or just not say anything.

I personally don't know much about the law, but if you do, please share. The law is available to the public for free, but that doesn't mean I've read or understand it. If you do, please educate the dummies like myself. If you only have an opinion that's personal, please state that it is your personal opinion, but I did ask people to leave personal opinions out of this thread.

11. don grahamleone

In a state that does allow recovery of legal fees on frivolous lawsuits, if the plaintiff represents themselves and the defendant spends money on lawyers to defend themselves, the judge may award the defendant for lawyer fees? If this is the case and the judge feels that the defendants are likely going to win based on evidence presented, would a kind/wise judge suggest that the plaintiff drop the suit considering the plaintiff may owe exorbitant fees to the defendant?

If this is indeed frivolous, I hope someone with knowledge of the law will help this fan.

12. ipaman

event.

13. ipaman

no it's the interent, 'aint nobody got time for that bullshit.

14. don grahamleone

It's preposterous based on?

@CometsWin based on your history of posting you're an intelligent person. I fully expect you to know that what you've said here has zero impact on the case study. Please highlight "case study" assuming that's the right term? I'm not disagreeing with your sentiment, but the courts don't have the option to deliver rule by simply saying "It's preposterous." even if it is. I'm literally just curious about the law and the situation the law can put this fan in because I felt like this was just an angry guy trying to get some kind of justice for his stance on a political statement made by players/owners/personnel.

15. Major

Major Member

Yes - the amount the plantiff spends would be irrelevant. The defendant can't just rack up bills for the hell of it, but they could attempt to recover "reasonable" legal fees. An organization like the Saints would be expected to spend a lot on a legal defense, so I could imagine they could at least request enough to cause the fan some major financial problems if they wanted (and if Louisiana allows that).

Realistically, I presume the Sants would file a motion to dismiss the lawsuit at the start (for stupidity), which hopefully would be granted without much fuss or expense.

16. don grahamleone

come on man... why did you even type that? Clearly you have SOME time for it because you typed about it for at least a few seconds. For this thread, I don't care about your opinion based on a hot take. But I'm curious about the law regarding the case.

17. don grahamleone

Why did I do this to myself? I should have just sent you a text message or email. :)

18. ipaman

no case, i just think if the guy thinks the anthem w/team participation is part of the event and he can show proof that the organization who sold him the tix presents it as such than more power to him. i don't know if he'll win or not but it's not frivolous if he thinks that. it's his right to use the legal system if he thinks/feels that way. you have a problem with that?

19. Major

Major Member

The Saints don't make any promise of specific entertainment. They certainly don't have a contract with the fan that says players will stand for a particular part of an event. The fan is suing on the basis of a lack of entertainment - if this was a valid argument, Cleveland Browns fans could all sue the team every year for being given a sucky, non-entertaining product.

If it is preposterous, a judge actually can basically just dismiss it and say that.

fchowd0311 and don grahamleone like this.
  20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Its like asking a stripper for a refund because you saw her kiss her boyfriend.