1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Family Law attorneys on CF or ppl that have been involved in Child Custody cases

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ferrari77, Oct 21, 2018.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Hey, Just wondering if there are any Family Law attorneys here on CF

OR

any dads on here that have gone through a custody battle(newborn and older kids)

I just have a few questions to ask. Thx

BigShasta and Houstunna like this.
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

GL man, sounds like a nightmare of suck.

Houstunna and ferrari77 like this.
  3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

All the best, breh, hope it works out for you. :(

ferrari77 and B-Bob like this.
  4. ferrari77

^
    Appreciate the support brehs. It is definitely a crap situation. :(
    Hopefully it'll turn out ok.

Dgn1 and B-Bob like this.
  5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What happened?

6. Nook

Nook Member

A lawyer.

Not a family law attorney though.

I am familiar somewhat just from school and experienced friends and colleagues.

Best advice I can give you is to be 100% sure what you want to do, not what you think you should do or what society expects. Be honest with yourself and proceed accordingly.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

OP, very sorry to read this. If you are in the SF Bay Area, I can hook you up with a great person, a friend of mine. (But she always says her first step it to try like crazy to convince people to stay together.)

Good luck with everything, and msg me if you're in the Bay Area.

Know that you have all sorts of good company in the world and don't beat up on yourself.

ferrari77, Yung-T and R0ckets03 like this.
  8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I got divorced about 4 years ago. There were moments when it seemed my ex and I agreed on custody stuff, and there were times when she would about-face and change her tune. During those times I did ask around and talk to some divorce attorneys that were experienced with child custody. Basically, it turned my stomach the degree to which I would be required to smear my ex's name in order to ensure I got custody. I was SO thankful when she about-faced again and we came to an agreement without involving the court.

Hope it goes well for you, man. I think the numbers I was quoted to go through a full child custody court case was going to be minimum $40,000 in legal costs, too.

#8 RunninRaven, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I also got divorced about 4 years ago and had to switch attorneys at least 2-3 times. My ex-wife and I had agreed on terms and wanted to keep things peaceful, but the attorneys I was dealing with on my side simply did not want to make things easy. I finally had to tell the last one, I don't care what your f'n opinion or advice is, this is how I want things. Either do it, or I'll move on to the next one.

Yung-T and ferrari77 like this.
  10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Full custody single dad here. Two kids 6 and 7. Went through a divorce and custody battle that I’m considering writing a screenplay for a Lifetime movie about. Ask away I’ll help if I can.

My case went on for over a year. Cost me about $25k in legal fees.

Best advice I can give you is what my lawyer told me. First thing is start seeing a therapist. This is hell at the deepest level don’t try to suck it up buttercup talk through what you’re going through with a professional.

Houstunna, ferrari77 and mikol13 like this.
  11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I have custody of my 6 and 9 year old boys. It’s been just the three of us since my youngest was 1.

I’ve been through quite a bit on the legal side, have a decent feel for how it works and what the state wants. PM me if you want to talk.

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

divorce really cost 40k? Now that's a real scam @Sajan

13. Sajan

Sajan Member

If he actually got divorced...is it still considered a scam? or did he just pay too much?

Actually marriage is the real scam. lol

I got a divorce 2 years ago (married for 2 yrs) and I had found a lawyer who would do a fixed price uncontested divorce for $1500..
    Then my ex decided to come argue for random sh** and my lawyer then had to waste my money (an additional 3K) doing paperwork which my ex ended up dropping since she had no proof.

I am so glad I didn't have kids with her. I can't imagine what folks go through with a custody battle.

Good luck to you OP

Yung-T, Houstunna and ferrari77 like this.
  14. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

I'm a Family Law attorney here in Harris County. I will send you my contact info in a PM so you can reach out to me.

15. ferrari77

Thanks man! I'll give you a call tomorrow.

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Consider joint custody if possible.

My experiences and hearing others' in these situations is the woman is angry and is being spiteful. They generally have the upper hand despite facts against them and know it.

Good luck with everything

ferrari77 likes this.
  17. ferrari77

Thanks for all the replies on here. Sorry i've been swamped and haven't been able to get back to those that have gone through a custody battle and offered to talk to me about my situation. I will get to you and send a message just bear with me.

Thx again

Yung-T likes this.
  18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Sorry to see you going through this @ferrari77, Hope it works out as good as possible for you.

Yung-T and ferrari77 like this.
  19. likestohypeguy

Do you mind sharing, what specifically were you asking for they didn't want to comply with, or were advising you against

20. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    I am not an attorney per se, but I have been practicing law (male victim advocacy) without a license for years. May I ask what your ex-wife did to ruin your marriage?

A wise, twice-divorced man once said to me: "Do you know why divorce is so expensive? Because it's worth it!"

GOOD DAY