1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

False Rumors led to Chicago looting of Miracle Mile

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Aug 10, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. tinman

Supporting Member

TheresTheDagger, RayRay10 and J.R. like this.
  3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I believe in the protests. I don't condone the riots or looting. Destroying stuff just makes people think you deserve it and distracts from the cause. The only think I hate more than shitty cops are thugs and criminals that make cops necessary.

4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Just more early Christmas shoppers being peaceful . Nothing to see here. Insurance will cover it #defund police, tbh I find it offensive that the police are interfering with the shopping experience. One lady tripped and fell with her shopping bags in tow in her pursuit to maintain 6 foot social distancing

#4 ROXRAN, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    generalthade_03 likes this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

what if it was based on a false rumor?

the false rumor was that cop shop a 15 year old kid, which was proven incorrect but that caused people to go to the tourist district and loot

#5 tinman, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  6. ROXRAN

You mean early Christmas shoppers and shop... You crazy right wingers

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. tinman

Supporting Member

people just want to believe their side and never have evidence

for example the dude
    Who ran over the protestors on the Seattle highway said he was a protestor himself
    So it was basically an accident not someone intentionally killing protestors at 1am on the highway
    People get ran over in Houston everyday on the highway
    Drunks , racers etc
    People who intentionally want to kill people use guns
    And they don’t want to get caught

I believe nobody cares about the truth anymore
    They just want to believe what they already believe in

People causing a fake cop murder rumor are dangerous because people will believe it without any investigation

RayRay10, ROXRAN and JumpMan like this.
  9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Do you notice Everytime someone wants to troll the D&D it's as a right winger?

Is it just easy to parody them?

10. fchowd0311

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-ne...y-ngo-credible-journalist-reporting-left-wing

11. ROXRAN

Priorities lol

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Why can't people find a middle ground - like believe the cops shot a 20 year old but it was a flesh wound.

Not sure why so polarized these days. Compromise!

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

^nothing like a bald old white guy lolling at a white guy mocking a black woman.

- T. Carlson.

Aside- thanks for linking me thru to the Babylon Bee - some real kneeslappers there PopPop!

College Football Fans Say Canceling Season Would Infringe On Their Right To Worship

Wife Decides Final 30 Seconds Of Hockey Game A Perfect Time To Strike Up Conversation

Look out Jeff Foxworthy.

Jimmy Chase and RayRay10 like this.
  14. fchowd0311

All these overhyped anecdotes of rioting and looting in mass are going to look stupid months from now when we can see actual crime data in US major cities and barely see a tic.

But spamming anecdotes is all the right wing has.

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

ooh good one. ouch. ouchy ouch ouch.

TheresTheDagger and RayRay10 like this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

TheresTheDagger and RayRay10 like this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This wasn't a small scale anecdotal incident. There was actually was a lot of looting last night on the Miracle Mile. It sounds like Chicago is shutting down access to Downtown tonight to prevent a further outbreak.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...0200810-3zwa3b7zzrc5vdyb4qjqywrjvu-story.html

I agree that the idea that our cities have turned into war zones is overhyped. There were a lot of people claiming that Minneapolis is a warzone and other than for about three nights it's been pretty peaceful and even during the height of the riots it wasn't like the whole city was being looted and burned. I'm not in Portland, Seattle or Chicago but while there may be trouble I'm guessing most of those cities are peaceful and it's just a few spots. That said I don't think we should ignore or significantly downplay when stuff like this happens especially over questionable information.

JumpMan, tinman and RayRay10 like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

I live in Chicago.

I was in downtown Chicago today in that very area.

There are a lot of things going on in Chicago, including the killing of FBG Duck in the Gold Coast area last week that are connected to the looting.

Income inequality in Chicago is really bad. The worst parts of Chicago are very close to the wealthiest parts.

Currently there is a large scale gang war, and it is connected to some of the looting and acts going on..... people in the poorer areas of Chicago are fed up with the stark differences between the haves and the have nots.

I suspect this will get worse and the issue has spread into the the wealthiest part of the city...... maybe the police will get off their lazy asses and do something, their conviction rate for murder in the worst 5 neighborhoods is like 5-10%.

This is a powder keg and will become a larger issue in other cities...... the poor in Chicago have had enough.

RayRay10, davidio840 and JumpMan like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

What is happening in Chicago concerning the looting and the rioting is viewed as a nuisance in the city by most people. The business owners don't even care about the theft, but the concern is scaring away travelers and the wealthy in the future........ traditionally the black gangs stay out of the GC because the cops will crack down...... for years drug dealers and gangsters seen in the GC were given a pass....... so the bold killing of Duck is a big deal.

The real story should be about the incredible amount of violence and lack of humanity in the Chicago inner city only minutes from the extreme riches. Nothing has been done about it and now nothing is tried...... the goal is just to keep the violence into those neighborhoods. When I worked as a prosecutor the things I saw and learned were horrendous. It is amazing any kids get out of there without life in prison from what they see and are surrounded by.