1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Falcon Heights] Woman goes live on Facebook after boyfriend is shot by police

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RV6, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not relevant if he was actually going for a gun or not so long as there was a reason for the officer to believe that he was going for a gun. I personally think he was trying to get his wallet out and had no intentions of even touching his gun, but when the officer doesn't know where the gun is, but he knows you have one, and you won't stop reaching for things, it's reasonable for him to suspect that you are trying to grab it and thus he would need to respond with deadly force to prevent death or great bodily injury. That's what makes this a situation where a truly innocent man was shot AND no one committed a crime. If he was actually going for a gun, he wouldn't be innocent. Since he was innocent, that's what makes this a really tragic situation.....but that doesn't mean you should wrongfully imprison someone over it.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm sorry. That "threat" may have a different meaning in other contexts different from what you claim to have understood I meant in this case is not at all that interesting. What I care about, really, is what we mean, not the words we use. I was questioning the words you were using, because it wasn't initially clear what you meant by them. After you (somewhat) clarified what you meant, I considered the distinction over word choice moot. And yet you still want to dwell on it (and throw in your stale, petty insults for good measure). So who is the one trying to play semantic games here?

If by "endangered", here, you mean "Castile was reaching for his gun and an attack was imminent" then good, you understood me. We can move on.

Finding him "not guilty" does not mean it is "clear" that he acted reasonably. That's not how burden of proof works in a criminal case.

Here is an interview with a jury member on the trial that people can listen to:

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/06/23/74-seconds-yanez-juror

Also from [25:30 -- 26:50] in the interview:

"Was beyond a reasonable doubt something that we could say he was proven guilty of? That kind of started to become clear, and it wasn't enough ... we had to take this guy at his word, we hard to take him as innocent .. couldn't say that he was guilty ...

Like I said before -- it was all about not being able to see what was happening. I think the state did a very good job. Where they fell a little bit short is not being able to prove that he saw or didn't see the gun. That's where the line was drawn, and that's where we made our decision."

The final decision came down to the principle of presumed innocence, since there was nothing else to go by on the crucial question of whether he saw him reaching for a gun. That is not a belief that he "clearly" acted reasonably, but rather a belief that it wasn't clear he acted unreasonably. My point is that there is a significant difference between the two.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This is why it's so fun to play with bobby. His logic has so many holes it's just fun to play with.

Let's see how consistent your logic is bobby. OJ... I guess he definitely was innocent.