1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fade's Fantasy Baseball Season Thread - 2020

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by fadeaway, Apr 10, 2020.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

2 1/2 weeks to finish the draft with no time limit. I think it moved just about as fast as before. Might not need to set one next draft.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'm pretty sure us being at home with no real life outside of work had a bit to do with how quickly our draft finished.

In other words we're:

4. PhiSlammaJamma

ESPN is replaying our draft at 2pm today on the ocho.

FLASH21 likes this.
  5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Great, I won't have to SAP that mutha f***a now!

6. PhiSlammaJamma

The SLOOOW draft was a very interesting social experiment. Essentially we removed all control. No rules. Total Freedom. There was no complaining. It was easy and relaxed. And went as expected. I don't know if that is a miracle, or an example of how life should be. How work should be. And if we all just let go, how everything still comes together. Take everything out of the equation. Remove personnel issues, pay people what they want, no more deadlines and meetings, no more work hours, no pressure, just total freedom. It worked.

7. fadeaway

Maybe we should apply this total freedom to other aspects of the league, like lineups and the scoring system. Just start whatever players you want, and stats can be worth whatever you choose them to be worth.

Personally, I plan to start 15 RPs and make saves worth +500 pts. each.

8. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member

Are we still planning to play now that baseball is back, if so, how will that work?

9. fadeaway

I have no idea. Will check ESPN when I get home.

10. SamCassell

ESPN's got a FAQ up on its website re fantasy baseball. Default settings are be 9 or 10 total matchup weeks, with the first 7 or 8 being regular season and then 2 rounds of playoffs. We can adjust those if we want to have no playoffs or only one round of playoffs. They have other things adjusted as well, like IR spots and position eligibility by games played.

11. fadeaway

Looks like baseball starts on Thursday. Everyone please get a lineup set. Going to be a weird season.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

If Flash continues to binge watch Charmed the baseball season will be over before he comes out of the coma.

13. fadeaway

You're damn right my RPs are league best. :cool:

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This season truly was the worst.

From injuries to my lineups not updating correctly (for some reason) prior to game time on Mondays.

Good luck to whoever wins this sh*t show of a season.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

I started 10 pitchers last week and got 1 win. It's was ridiculous. I've lost Buehler, Verlander, Flaherty, Bichette,and Altuve. 90% of my roster was plucked from free agency. It's a crisis out there. Run!

#15 PhiSlammaJamma, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  16. fadeaway

Looks like I ended up as the asterisked, Covid-shortened season fantasy baseball 2020 champion! :D

What led to this success, you might ask? :cool:

Was it Shane Bieber's stellar Cy Young performance, which carried my SPs all year with solid help from Gerrit Cole and Hyun-Jin Ryu? NO! ;)

Was it Marcell Ozuna, who finished as the #1 overall OF? NO! :p

Was it Manny Machado, who finished as the #1 shortstop AND the #1 third baseman? NO! :confused:

Was it the late season flurry by Adelberto Mondesi, who went nuts and finished up the last two weeks averaging like 7-10 points per game? NO! :eek:

Was it having not one, but two top-3 catchers on the roster in JT Realmuto and Will Smith, and therefore not losing any production at all when JT went down with injury right before the playoffs? NO! o_O

Was it an overall solid roster from top to bottom? NO! :rolleyes:

I'll tell you why -- it was because of the RELIEVERS!!!

Brad Hand, Kenley Jansen and Alex Colome all finished top-5, and I pretty much left them alone in the lineup for nearly the whole season. Chapman was a bit of a bust, and the Detroit guy I took late didn't pan out, but my SUPREME PREMIUM DEPTH at the RP position meant that this didn't matter.

Therefore, I am dedicating this championship to all the closers out there! My earliest championship seasons back in the day were RP-focused, with Eric Gagne, Rivera, etc., and now this new bunch is carrying on the legacy.

My draft was ridiculed by the lot of you, but now I hope I have made believers out of you all! HO HO HO!! :p:p:D:D:p:p

17. SamCassell

Grats to Fade on winning the baseball league! I should have seen how important relievers would be in a short season. It's just such a volatile position!