1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Ex-NBA player Stephen Jackson says he smoked weed before games

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by don grahamleone, Jan 30, 2017.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...hen-jackson-says-somes-smoked-mar1juana-games

Former NBA player Stephen Jackson said he occasionally smoked mar1juana before playing in games.

Jackson's admission came on the "I Am Rapaport" podcast hosted by actor Michael Rapaport.

"I just gotta be real, you know, it's been a couple games where I smoked before games and had great games," Jackson said in the podcast, which was posted Friday. "It's been some games where I smoked before the game and was on the bench after three minutes sitting on the sideline, 'Please calm down, this high has to calm down' -- I done shot three shots that went over the backboard, like, I'm going to be honest, like, 'Ahh, I gotta calm down.'"

Both Jackson and Rapaport are contributors to ESPN's NBA coverage.

Jackson also said on the podcast that Don Nelson, his coach while with theGolden State Warriors, knew that the forward smoked mar1juana.

"We're in Utah and the [league's] drug test people are around, you know, to get our last drug test so we can smoke, right? Don Nelson, we talked about weed all the time, he was cool with talking about weed. We got our last test in Utah, right? So me and [teammate] Baron [Davis] are coming out the locker room just screaming, excited with our last pink slip saying we could smoke for the rest of the season, and Don Nelson hauls ass down there giving us high-fives, like, 'Yeah, we can smoke now!'" Jackson recalled. "It was cool, the fact that he knows what's going on off the court with his players, which was great, man. We enjoyed it. That's why we were a great team."

Jackson, 38, played for the Warriors for four seasons; he averaged 15.1 points, 3.9 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game over his 14-year career.

Jackson's most memorable season was the 2006-07 campaign, during which he was traded by Indiana to Golden State and helped the Warriors upset the top-seeded Dallas Mavericks in the first round of the playoffs.

seeingredtx likes this.
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Ah... remember the good old days when you didn't hate the warriors? I wonder why..

3. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Prob not a good time to talk about it since Davis is trying to come back?

4. T for 3

T for 3 Member

that's pretty out there man.......................................................................

5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Haha. Honestly 90% of the NBA smokes or does even a little more.

King1, da_juice, Tha_Dude and 2 others like this.
  6. BackdoorHarden

I smoke weed before a game too.

And now that it's legal, ain't nothing the man can do no nuthin about it no more

7. TheresTheDagger

8. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Good for him.

Mary J should be legal in this country anyway, it's far less harmful on your body than alcohol and has real medicinal benefits.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

i try to stay away from weed or any other drugs because the officer from D.A.R.E. in middle school said they can ruin my life.

10. Asian Sensation

[​IMG]

Weed? John Lucas is not impressed.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Pothead NBA champion

12. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Yeah, I remember when I was in 7th grade and the D.A.R.E officer gave us that same speech. You know what I did though? I got caught smoking outside the school cafeteria not even a month later. Went to detention for a week, had to write a bunch of **** about Shakespeare and some other poets and do it in cursive text, several pages of nonsense that I couldn't have given two ***** about and still don't to this day. It was pretty easy though, kind of funny too. Especially because all of my teachers loved me and thought I was one of the smartest kids at that school, always eager to absorb material and discuss subject matter, always made good grades, great reading comprehension.

But, my smoking habbit never effected my ability to learn or become a productive member of society. I'm 35 now, still smoke the ganja and still productive and happy. I wouldn't consider myself one of humanities finer examples, mind you. Definitely, not a role model of any sort. But, I do consider myself to be a successful person at my occupation and I'm a great lover of family, friends, life, the common man/woman/gay/tranny/dwarf/jew, etc.

Anyhoo, sorry for going off on this tangent like this. Pretty baked right now.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

ANYONE who saw interviews with those players during that time KNEW they were high. Baron Davis and Jason Richardson beat the Mavs in the playoffs one year and showed up SO high on Inside the NBA, it was nuts. SO HIGH.

What I didn't know was how wild Don Nelson was, lulz.

14. joeson332

joeson332 Member

We been knowing lol. Friend mentioned he and some other players would light them up occasionally during the offseason

15. Buck Turgidson

Hell, MLB just put a guy in the HOF who admittedly would slide head-first into bases so he wouldn't break the cocaine vial in his back pocket.

16. LAM

LAM Member

That explains a lot.

17. LAM

LAM Member

TIL Shakespeare smoked pot.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  18. ths balla

ths balla Member

Any videos of this? lol

19. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

I smoke 2 joints before I smoke 2 joints and then I smoke 2 more..

don grahamleone and Tha_Dude like this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON