1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN's front page disgusts me...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RKREBORN, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Couple of points for context.

1) The headline is excessive. A bit too blunt.

2) Tim Bontemps is an ESPN reporter whose beat consists of Bucks, Raptors, Celtics, 76ers. And Bontemps' prediction (while at the Washington Post) for MVP to start the season was Giannis. So he is going to stick to his prediction.

Not really a Bontemps issue as much as it is a "headline" issue.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Why can't Legler repeat that on TV? Legler has never been much of a Harden guy but I credit him with that summation as it is accurate so good on him.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Because it is a historically great honor. An honor Rockets fans would love to see bestowed on the player we enjoy. The historical significance of a 2 time winner is big. Sets him apart.

We also would like a ring. We would like both. Because we like good things to happen to our team and players.

BigggReddd, R0ckets03, Reeko and 10 others like this.
  4. macan

macan Member

Rockets will beat bucks 4-2 in this year's finals and Harden will win the Finals MVP. we gonna shut all these media heads up!
    trust me, i'm from the future.

5. TheSource

TheSource Member

This is deja vu from 2017 when Westbrook won the media formed a narrative to fit who they wanted to win mvp not who deserved it more. This should be at least Harden’s 3rd MVP maybe 4th but once again will be robbed. It’s ok I’ll take a championship over the mvp and I’m sure Harden would also.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

You know that's a Pro-Harden article, right?? He's devaluing Don MacLean (and by proxy, everybody who agrees with him)'s opinion.....not James Harden.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

"Giannis carried his team to the finals and the Warriors are the greatest team of all time we are not worthy zomg"

8. Nook

Nook Member

I honestly am not sure that he realized it came out the way it did. He honestly wasn't trying to compliment Harden or even the Rockets. They were discussing whether there were any teams that could realistically challenge the Warriors. He was really unkind to the Nuggets.

The reality is that had the Rockets won the title last year, all the talk would be about James Harden being by far the best player in basketball. I am old enough to remember what was said about Jordan before he won a title. The complaints about him were even stronger than those against Harden. On sports radio hosts used to actually say Jordan wasn't intellectually smart enough to beat someone like Magic or Bird and that he was too selfish to play in an organized sport.

Players that push the limits, and aren't conventional get a lot of crap until they win a title. Recently Shaq got it too. Kobe didn't because the Lakers won so early in his career.

The Hunted, snowconeman22 and Deuce like this.
  9. justinh

justinh Member

fake news. i stopped going to espn.com a long time ago. only rarely visit when all else fails.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Giannis deserves the MVP... Idk why yall are so obsessive about Harden winning.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

13. tinman

Supporting Member

I don't know, but he's getting like 10 Daniel House contracts each year!

14. macan

macan Member

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I'm sure you know, here's the headline (I mean unless Harden dismantles the GSWs and I'm really hoping he does, I can dream, right ?), "The Greek needs help and he should join lebron ( or go to the nyk's)", depending on media even if he chokes it's the teams fault. You know .. So not the same as when harden almost beats 4 all-stars last year and somehow choked .....or got shafted repeatedly on the MVP, like how all the sudden record didn't matter and Westbrook gets it stat padding.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No, we will, if we are foolish enough to watch ESPN. The only time I do in relation to the NBA, once I figured out what a dishonest joke they are, is when the Rockets are playing, or games during the playoffs. Most of what I know about ESPN since I blew them off is what I read here, including quotes and videos. I've found that it has improved my quality of life, at least a little. ESPN is a farce, in my humble opinion.

slothy420 likes this.
  17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This is exhausting.. every year.. EVERY F-CKING YEAR!!

Deckard likes this.
  18. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

FWIW, ESPN is also in danger of going out of business. People don't watch Sportscenter anymore b/c you can get highlights and scores instantly online. They've tried a few times to be more thoughtful (e.g. Grantland and 538) but those parts keep having money problems. So, aside from Zach Lowe, they've turned all their "articles" into clickbait. Clutchfans has better analysis than the vast majority of ESPN's content.

Deckard and pippendagimp like this.
  19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Right, TB doesn't write the headlines tho this time he is the headline.

Truth is IMO GA is leading JEHj and is likely to win. And that is defensible. As is Harden's 'candidacy'. I cannot freak out (harrumpf) if Giannis wins as when Statchaser did but I certainly hope that enough voters will see James' amazing technicolor season for what is is - - MVP worthy.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

macan likes this.