1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN/Spears] Is this it for Melo? [How/When the decision was made to pull the plug]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Nov 16, 2018.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

He was near the top more than he was the middle but I'm not gonna sit here and say it was ALL of his fault when its not true. If all the things I mentioned before dont happen we win more games even with Melo on the roster. Cutting Melo didnt magically make our offense better, making shots did.

The stats you posted show that he was harmful to the team and needed to be cut, and thats clear. It was pretty obvious that the defense was suffering when he was in there. But I do wanna say that the fact that we couldnt score for the first whatever amount of games was not all of his fault. Gordon, Paul and Green were(Gordon still is but he'll pick it up) shooting like crap. Even when we cut him, we still lost to San Antonio cause our offense was trash.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It’s hard to say how much criticism you can give Melo on the terrible early play of Chris Paul, the Harden injury, and the atrocious shooting. There’s no doubt that better play could have won some of those games despite his presence.

But.... he was a complete disaster of a fit. I think we all knew he would be. I’m 100% sure Morey knew it wouldn’t work. He gambled on the name. There’s no way to slice the analytics to make Carmelo Anthony look like a high minute player on a successful basketball team. Credit the Rockets for moving on quickly.

HP3 likes this.
  3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

lol...not by looking at the responses and all the polls during the off-season.

ElPigto and YOLO like this.
  4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Not what I meant. Obviously some people have an unbridled enthusiasm for Carmelo. I liked the pickup and wanted it to happen. I bought into the name. I wondered how this could work but I was hopeful. I think a lot of people fall into that camp.

SWTsig and Zboy like this.
  5. hakeemthagreat

No, thanks. I'll just keep a eye on game 7 and hope we dont go 0-22 again

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

At least there is a chance for game 7 now, with Melo getting the boot.

Heck, forget game 7....

...with Melo on the team, Rockets wouldn't even make the playoffs lol.

Which is why Morey acted fast!

vlaurelio likes this.
  7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Pretty sure we can say it was Fertitta who acted, ultimately.
    Morey was trying to get Melo for years. He's not going to turn around after 10 games and conclude he was wrong. Anyway, He couldn't act without the owner's approval.

8. MystikArkitect

Melo is SF Dwight. Basically the NBA equivalent of the HD-DVD or RedBox.

Rockets learned from that mistake.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

but that's exactly what he did because hes smart. it doesn't take much to see something wasn't fitting. And he doesn't need to wait where it may be too late and puts the team in a even worse position

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Sajan

Sajan Member

what are other big names that rockets have signed or trade for that didn't work out as well we hoped?

Melo
    Howard
    Lawson
    Pippen

11. HP3

HP3 Member

Can we also just drop this thread, like dude is off the team. There is no reason to even discuss him anymore.

hakeem94 and ilovehtownbb like this.
  12. aroundtheblock2

One of these is not like the others.

Sajan likes this.
  13. mockster

mockster Member

You’ve probably already bought it and plan to burn it.

Melo could’ve worked and did work at times. Just like everyone has said the rockets bad start wasent all just melo. Eric Gordon has been just as horrible as melo and as a whole they all were struggling. Even games melo didn’t play.

No way was melo going to take the huge minute reduction they were planning for him. Ce could’ve been a good player for us if he took the joe Johnson role.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Maybe Morey should have dropped Gordon instead of Melo?

#134 Zboy, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  15. pauebtg

pauebtg Member

Say what you want about Howard. But he did have at least one good year in Houston. As well as in the Playoffs. The other 3 Bums on the other hand...

Zboy likes this.
  16. Bo6

Bo6 Member

the revisionist history on Howard is annoying. Balled out his first year, good the second, and decent 1/2 of the 3rd season, bad the 2/2 of the 3rd.

we don't like him for refusing to play the 'Capela' role but that doesn't mean he didn't play pretty damn hard here in Houston.

Zboy and Sajan like this.
  17. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Yup. Three separate classes. Cant be lumped together.

1) Howard actually produced. In the end we had to chose between Harden's style of play and Howard's and it was a no brainer decision.

2) Pippen also produced during the regular season he was here. He was just a douchebag in the playoffs, got his ass handed to him by Kobe, and then quit afterwards.

3) Melo and Lawson are/were absolute horrific bums and scrubs that had no business being on this team.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

19. HP3

HP3 Member

[​IMG]

20. Know Your Role

Sleepy Floyd.