1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN/Spears] Is this it for Melo? [How/When the decision was made to pull the plug]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Nov 16, 2018.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

He’s in a tough spot. You can say fit or style or whatever, but the reality is the Rockets are a championship caliber organization and they couldn’t make it work...that will leave a mark.

Exactly who could make Melo work? Would he fit in LA, Toronto, Boston, Philly, GSW, or Milwaukee?

Bigs/wings that can’t defend have gone with way of guards that can’t shoot. It’s simply not tolerable in the modern NBA unless you’re a transcendent talent (like Jokic, but even then I’m skeptical)...Melo isn’t that anymore.

rm365 likes this.
  2. hakeemthagreat

All this doesn't make sense if everybody from Melo, CP & Harden was surprised by the waiving. Based off reports, based off Melo's own words w/ CP & Harden w/ MDA & Daryl Morey, he did everything they asked. How can one determine after 10 games if someone is a good fit? I think this was a grudge move by MDA

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

You left someone out of your list: the owner.

5. hakeemthagreat

Great basketball rebuttal

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

And he is BAY AREA media...so you take that for what you will.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Agreed, but the ego (maybe still) and of course the attn he brings is still decent sized, Melo probably wouldn't want to be 8th-10th on rotation, where as Anderson would be fine there. The media sure as hell wouldn't be asking about the DNPs - CD for Anderson, but a scorer like Melo, you know that's going to be the only question asked. Father Time isn't kind and the media really doesn't help.

8. Remlap

Remlap Member

I believe there were numerous factors:
    1) MDA was run out of NY thanks to Melo. Linsanity came to life when Melo was injured.
    When Melo came back, MDA's system died. MDA gets run out of NY. They have a past history.
    2) MDA didn't recruit him here. CP campaigned for it
    They picked him up cheap off the sale rack for a look
    3) So MDA inherits a player that doesn't fit his system (steps in for LONG 2's instead of 3's)
    Suspect defense. His spot was a defensive sieve. Numbers show we were defensively deficient when
    Melo was on the floor. (Morey reviews the analytics carefully)
    4) This is not MDA's first rodeo with Melo. Took GSW to 7 games last year and pressure is HIGH
    to repeat or better. (people on this forum were calling for MDA's head already)
    Given his past with Melo he's not about to take the fall again.
    5) Gary Clark 'Kent' emerges as a valuable 2 way player. Basically outplaying Melo especially on defense.
    (with the MVP and CP we're more in need of defensive minded players)

Add all of this up and it's a recipe for very limited PT for Melo.
    Knowing this would create a media distraction (and possibly bad morale for Melo) they decided to cut bait instead
    of deal with the media circus all year. Plus, he'll be free to go somewhere he can shine.

I feel bad for Melo that he came here on the cheap to play on a contender.
    But, if we are going to contend with GSW, it was a necessary move to get MDA's system firing on both sides.
    And so far, it's proven to be a good move

#88 Remlap, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Erbnwarfare and hakeem94 like this.
  9. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Morey and CP3 brought in Melo. It clearly did not work. Morey and MDA want to save their own jobs so they let Melo go. It worked like magic!

I am just happy this Rockets squad come back to last year's championship caliber team. So fun to watch!

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you should write more more often

Remlap likes this.
  11. hakeemthagreat

Right. Which is kinda my point. Even if Carmelo does EVERYTHING right, the media & a portion of the NBA won't let him be. They're constantly bringing his past up to justify their own preconceived notions about him. I honestly think he's already accepted his decline

CCity Zero likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good article, well done Rockets.

DD

tycoonchip likes this.
  13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Can’t tell if serious.

:squint:

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, definitely agree with you.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Anything you care to share?

jcf likes this.
  16. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Melo does not bring the type of leadership you would expect from a vet. His game has diminished and he doesn't have the locker room presence you have from NeNe or we had from Terry.His friends are quick to say he is the Rockets scapegoat, but I don't see the Lakers or Miami looking to acquire him.

D-rock and RudyTBag like this.
  17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gary Clark is better on both ends for this team. That’s why we released him.

18. BigBum

BigBum Member

Every day I am waiting for this answer.

Harden/Paul recruiting Melo and really don't want to waive him and end his career.

What if other team asks for a first round pick to take Melo contract? Would you do it? If not, what is your final resolution?

Bad teams don't want him because they want to give PT to young players.

Melo makes good teams and average teams worse.

19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Not necessary. They just waive him.

I don’t get how it couldn’t be resolved on either side that he should just practice the catch and shoot 3 all day everyday, and he will fit the system. PJ is the leagues best corner three point shooter. PJ wasn’t known for his catch and shoot 3 or corner 3 before he got here. Harden has said in the past how he respects PJ for how when he first signed here he was in the gym all the time practicing his shot. I know it’s not Melo’s game, but I refuse to believe he couldn’t learn to do it with his talent.

People can argue it was his defense and they could be right, but it’s not often a bench players defense will get him kicked off the team.

#99 Zoplicone, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    D-rock and jcf like this.
  20. BigBum

BigBum Member

Waive is a terrible idea and the worst idea ever! Waive hurts Tilman and hurts Melo's career.
    1. Harden/Paul recruiting Melo and really don't want to waive him and end his career.
    2. It costs Tilman $5 million. (2.6 million tax)
    3. Recruiting a player for 10 games, then waive him. Great and very nice organization?

This was a very nice and great organization with Les.