1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Sleep Deprivation: "It's the dirty little secret that everybody knows about"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Oct 14, 2019.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, and you don't ever have superstars taking a night off in that case (maybe one at the end of a season or something, but nothing like the Spurs).

da_juice likes this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah hopefully that would be an additional benefit. If teams have a good playoff seeding and have old stars like LBJ, it seems like it could still be an issue without some sort of enforcement. Perhaps the league could implement rules ensuring starting players play at least 15 minutes per game (or whatever) if healthy or they get some sort of fine (refunds for the fans would be nice).

I think we got this hypothetical figured out B-Bob, go ahead and send it in to Silver.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. csj

csj Member

Wife and kids on the road? Thought we were talking about sleep deprivation due to travel? Also, now it's "shoot around"/walk thrus when before it was "morning meetings with companies"?

Try to think objectively rather than making excuses for whiney babies. These players have plenty of time for sleep, they are pampered when on the road. When at home, they have no excuse for not getting enough rest.

4. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

lol these people probably worked harder from the age of 12 than you ever have in your life

5. csj

csj Member

They've spent more time at the strip clubs than I have, that's for sure.

Otherwise, I worked more in college than they ever have in their lives, and that was all before they were born.

You're in desperate need of an education.

viertelasiat likes this.
  6. rockets13champs

Those are all reasons. Meetings in the morning, life outside nba, families. I could see why. Also this isn’t a player who wrote the article so I don’t know which player ur thinking about who is a cry baby. Maybe if you worked on your 3 point shot too. You could be in the league too.

7. csj

csj Member

Those are all reasons you've offered but there seems little reason to put any stock in them. After all, how many players take their 'wife and kids" on the road, how many even have a wife and kids. I can tell you one thing, no NBA team is going to make demands of their players' time that causes sleep deprivation. It's bullshit. If players are lacking rest it's because they're partying too hard.

Also, I'm not jealous of NBA players so save your snide remarks.

8. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

IIRC from JJ Redick’s podcast some time back, he said that NBA players do technically have a lot of free time, though so of it’s fragmented, but sleep is something that you have to be disciplined about. So considering that many NBA players are in their late teens, early to mid 20’s, that’s the age where a good amount of people with regular lives and jobs are also not getting as much sleep as they should.

The multiple screens we have these days don’t help either, and being disciplined with the screens isn’t easy. Even outside of the travel and schedules, there’s a discipline problem that many players will have no matter what. The sleep situation could be improved in the NBA, even right now if you could magically force disciple on all the players, but you can’t. So guys will go out clubbing, stay up trying to hook up with women, watching some sort of media, whatever it is, and many guys won’t get the sleep they need even when they do have enough time to do so.

9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

10. photojoe

photojoe Member

I wish I was paid 20 million a year and one of my big job related worries was bed bugs

homewight and Jontro like this.
  11. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Why are you trying to compare the sleep habits of professional athletes to average people? If you compare their lives to their peers, like the CEO’s of Fortune 500 companies, their life is literally a cake walk.

I mean, just google how many hours Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates put into their products or how much sleep they get. It’s not crazy to say that they had worked for longer than entire NBA teams combined before the got big.

There’s a reason everyone wants to be an athlete. You don’t see many former programmers doing something else, because it takes a lifetime to master.

On the other hand, someone like Zion can dominate the league with less than 10 years of non-professional experience. It’s not even close.

viertelasiat and Jontro like this.
  12. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Yeah espn trying to make people feel sorry for some millionaires who sleep in awesome, no thin wall luxury rooms. I dont even want to hear this bs.

13. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

Okay, if you worked so hard, what do you have to show for it? Are you in the top .001% of your profession?

I have an education, and likely a more rigorous one than you have.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

i wouldn't call it a secret everybody knows about... i surely didn't know.

15. csj

csj Member

A "more rigorous" education? What does that even mean? Have you even experienced puberty?

Yes, I am "in the top .001%" of my profession. Of course I am. I achieved that over 3 decades ago. Have you learned to wipe your own ass yet?

16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I’m not buying this either.

I’ve seen too many clips of players out enjoying the night life in season. If there were such devastating widespread sleep issues I would think they’d try to get as much of it as they could when they could.

17. csj

csj Member

While I completely agree with your point, I can't agree with this. Programming is a young person's profession where agism is a big problem. You do see many programmers "doing something else" and you frequently see programmers in their twenties at the top of their fields. That's a big problem actually.

I am an engineer and systems programmer who now does "something else". Virtually everyone I worked with when I was younger now does "something else". That happens all the time.

18. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

Nope. A truly laughable response.

19. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

I have know many well-educated morons over my lifetime. Add another to the list.

20. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I didn’t explain myself clearly.

Bill Gates probably hasn’t programmed anything in ages, but is still considered a programmer by most. NVDA, AMZN, and other tech companies all have programmers that have taken other roles as they’ve aged.

I definitely used the word programmer too losely. Should have said specifically what happens after being a dev.