1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(ESPN) More love for Scola & Landry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BiggestWinner, Oct 25, 2008.

1. BiggestWinner

BiggestWinner Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=thorpe_david&page=Sophs-081023

Top 10 sophomores:

3. Luis Scola, Rockets
    No team showed more heart and grit than Houston did in its six-game series against Utah. And Scola was a big factor in that effort. His numbers never tell the whole story; he truly is one of the game's best "team guys" -- his spirit infects those around him. However, his playing time could be affected if Houston goes small and plays Ron Artest inside.

8. Carl Landry, Rockets
    Landry likely would be higher on this list were it not for the glut of talent around him in the Rockets' frontcourt. He's a do-it-all type of scorer, and despite being labeled as "undersized" for his position, he attempted to dunk on 26 percent of his field goal attempts. (Dwight Howard was at 30 percent.) Landry also personifies -- alongside fellow soph Scola -- a unique brand of incredible toughness within 6 feet of the rim on both sides of the ball.

2. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

This guy actually seems to know what he's talking about.

3. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

no love for AB?

4. Jayou

Jayou Member

AB doesn't belong in the top 10. Top 15 maybe.

5. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

yea he didnt prove anything last year. I mean for most of the year luther head played better than him

6. FariyadTheKing

which basically equals to brooks not doing anything

7. alcatrazpsycho

You know, theoretically, if Scola was never a draftee until '07, it's as if the Rockets had the 3rd and 8th pick of the '07 draft.
    Except they didn't. They had Vassilis Spanoulis and a couple of future 2nd round picks to trade away.
    Amazing.

ap

8. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Landry is Dwight-lite.

Scola is some un-atheletic (NBA standard) white dude who somehow can score.

Two great PF for around 6m/year!

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think Everyone in the league knows how great our young guys are. I can't wait for After Burners Aaron Brooks comes out of his shell this season and shows just how well we draft.

10. redao

redao Member

If Landy has Dwight's height and strength, he'd dunk 60% of his shots.

Dwight is Landry light.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm happy to go to war with our PF combo (including Hayes and perhaps Dorsey) with any team in the league.

Our only position where we are relatively weak compared to the competition is PG.

12. LoneStarRebel

LoneStarRebel Member

Hell yeah, Scola is a potential future borderline all-star (I can definitely see him peaking as a 17/8 type of player).

Good to see Scola getting some well deserved props here and there.

13. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Landry has a reliable 18 ft jump shot ...Dwight does not.

But Scolandry for 6m/yr is sweetness.

14. Htown57

Htown57 Member

I would take our PF platoon (scola, landry, hayes, artest, and perhaps dorsey) over pretty much any other in the league.

No, we don't have one super-duper star, but we do have 4 players who have shown themselves to be starting-quality PFs in this league. Scola was arguably the best big man at the olympics, Landry has ridiculous numbers and a very high ceiling, Ron is one of the best 2 way players in the game, and chuck is an elite defender, rebounder, and hustle player, and plays very intelligently to boot.

Does anyone else in The Association have the luxury of rotating 4 first-line caliber players on the interior (meaning they stay fresher, more focused, and more intense?) i think not.

Oh, we also have that big chinese guy too. I hear he's also pretty decent. :cool:

15. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Kind of makes me feel a little dirty. It almost feels like we're cheating this guy (Scola).

Oh well.

16. Dei

Dei Member

I almost feel sorry for the two, to be honest; but, even though they're pretty old, they still should have 6-7 years of strong basketball left as big men tend to play well into their 30's. Keep their performances up, and they'll be sure to get paid BIG; so I hope they just enjoy the ride and focus on a championship, for now.

17. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Even though I am extremely pleased with how Morey was able to get these two players on our team, you can't really say its as if they had the 3rd or 8th picks in the draft.

I mean its like saying Dallas drafting Josh Howard at 30 is the same as them having a top 5 pick. Not true. They are still 31st picks etc. Its just our awesome scouting was able to turn those second rounders into legit players.

18. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

If we don't win championship now, I don't know when are we going.

19. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Nope. Not on an awesome deeply talented team like the Rockets. Scola won't get those stats on this team.

But he'll be our "Udonis Haslem" on our championship team...hehe

20. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Hopefully AB will be rocking the sophomore ranks up...he's got every opportunity to do so...

maybe drafting AB was a good choice after all...