1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN/MacMahon] 'There's too much damn turmoil': An unsettling vibe surrounds these Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 17, 2019.

1. riko

riko Member

This happens in a lot of teams but usually it is kept in house. Loose lips sink ships. I wonder who leaked this out?

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Do you believe all is well?

Damon Jones: Don't think it is. Chris Paul doesn't like the way they play. It's understandable. He's never been a guy who stands around & watches someone else play. He's been in control of the offense. The way the system is now, he's sitting - as well as other teammates - watching Harden play. It works well in the regular season. In the playoffs, with multiple days to prepare, it seems it doesn't work very well.

Mike Greenberg: Kobe said himself you can't win a championship that way. ... Is there a big move out there for Houston?

Tim Bontemps: Depends what you're trying to do. Are you trying to save money or win? If you're trying to save money, there's probably a contract they could move Chris Paul for to cut their LT bill, cut their payroll. Will they be able to trade him for value? That's a much different proposition. The chances of that happening are pretty slim.

Greenberg: Can you win if your team is built around what James Harden does?

Damon Jones: I don't think so. He'll have his ups & downs as far as his percentages, his shooting, things of that nature. He's shown some fatigue going down the stretch. The whole system has to change. He can do so many things on a basketball floor other than iso. He's a good passer. He can penetrate & kick to other guys. I understand Mike D'Antoni's system is awesome in the regular season. You collect a lot of wins.(@kjayp) End of the day, for this group, championship or bust.

kjayp likes this.
  3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Of course they needed other guys to fill their roles, but outside of that collaborative effort of the 04 Pistons those are the only guys who did it without another top 20 in the league type talent. No other all nba types on those teams. Kidd has been an all nba type for Dirk, but those days were done and he was nowhere near his peak powers anymore.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, except that Chauncey Billups was Top 25, Hamilton was Top 30 and Sheed was Top 40 or something.
    Ben Wallace was also Top 40-45
    Prince was also up there.

They were collectively not worse than Top 50. At least the starting lineup.

A group without a clear superstar but all were close to being Allstar bench players.

saleem and Wulaw Horn like this.
  5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Absolutely. That’s why I said collaborative effort. There is quality in quantity sometimes. The pistons are the oddball outlier that showed that could be a winner.

saleem and daywalker02 like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Houston thinks Dwight Howard situation was way worse than any James Harden-Chris Paul tension now

For what it’s worth, Houston doesn’t see this as a real problem. One source harkened back to the Dwight Howard days, for a real broken and dysfunctional relationship. “There will always be tension when you’re trying to get **** right,” cited one team source. “Every aspect of basketball gets debated at some point, and the way we lost sucked.

“We’ve had players (in the past) who didn’t care about anything other than themselves and wanted everyone else to shore them up. We don’t see (Harden/Paul tension) as a big deal.”

[...]

“I think they’re close,” House said. “They talk all the time, they do a lot together and they joke all the time. But they work differently.”

“I felt like there wasn’t any tension, me personally being there. But being a younger guy and sticking to my role and trying to lock in, I can’t really focus on what happened or what’s been said or done.”

House believes the stakes of playing such a high-pressure Game 6 against the Golden State Warriors without Kevin Durant is what really sparked the flames of rumors regarding the Rockets’ star-studded backcourt.

“Yeah of course,” House added. “In the playoffs, no one wants to lose. Everyone wants to be crowned the champion. I just feel like it’ll work itself out, like it always does. It’s just two great competitors that want to win and bring the city of Houston a championship. They’re trying to get it done at all costs, so look at it like that instead of seeing it as tension.”

thedreamsteam and Deuce like this.
  7. Milos

Milos Member

Let's not forget ... that Finals was basically the public, on-court divorce of Shaq & Kobe
    Mailman & Glove were completely done by the end of that long season

Not taking anything away from the Pistons, but ...
    The ATL Hawks with 4/5 All-Stars also tried this model a few years ago, and never even made the Finals

Plus, not really a good comp for any iteration of these Harden Rockets
    We have a clear Top 5-10 superstar in his prime who is clearly focused on 'getting his' in the course of winning
    I've seen nothing from Harden in his time here to suggest he's going to take a back seat in favor of true team ball anytime soon

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

as soon as they really start diving into it..... host: Lets move on from this :rolleyes:

#168 YOLO, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  9. TipsyDixit

TipsyDixit Member

THE. OFFENSE. WAS. NOT. THE. PROBLEM.

First off, maybe the best defense in the league's strategy for dealing with the Rockets' offense in the playoffs was to literally give Harden a free lane. It hurt the offense, but we still won.

We had an offensive rating of 114 against the Warriors. That would be top-20 all-time in the regular season. The problem was the defense, particularly rebounding. Our initial defense was posting sub-100 defensive ratings against the Warriors through most of the series. The problem was that after an offensive rounding they had something like a 120 offensive rating. Ultimately, the Warriors had a 116 offensive rating.

We lost that series by a TOTAL of 5 or 6 possessions. That's it.

We rebound only slightly better, we win.
    We get one or two of the four missed three calls in Game 1, we win.
    If the ball bounces of EG's butt in only a slightly different way in Game 5, we win.
    Hell, Austin Rivers plays game 1, we win.

But first and foremost, the offense was not the problem in the playoffs. It was rebounding and defense.

10. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

I met a traveller from an antique land,
    Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
    And on the pedestal, these words appear:
    My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
    Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It is ridiculous that everyone is talking about the offensive problems. This post nails it. It was the defense that was the issue.

Sure the offense could be tweaked a bit, but the defense is what let them down.

Richie_Rich, BMoney, HP3 and 3 others like this.
  12. Game7

Game7 Member

Sonnets are the devil’s work!

13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The wing players are too damn small. Weak closeouts, weak on the defensive glass and it hurts you on 50/50 balls. Size and length on the wings are needed. This is just a bunch of BS used to fill empty TV segments.

beardsanity713 likes this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Except the offense dropped from 116.5 to 114. The warriors defense dropped from 116.5 to 115.7.

Not sure how that's clearly a defensive problem. The warriors were only the 12th ranked defense.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  15. TipsyDixit

TipsyDixit Member

Per Basketball Reference, our Ortg on the season was 115.5; playoffs against the Warriors 113.8
    Warriors regular season Ortg was 115.9; playoffs against us 115.7.

The point is that 114 should be enough to win any series. You would be hard-pressed to find many teams that lost a series while posting a 114 Ortg.

Obviously scoring more always helps. Literally being better on offense would always win every series. The point is that (1) we were really close already and (2) the defense needed to be better.

HP3 and Deuce like this.
  16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

114 should be enough to win any series? Why? Because it's unfair to have a good offense and lose?

It isn't the regular season

17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Looking at these last 2 years, if you actually take the time to look at the regular season results each year for the teams Houston played in the playoffs then look at the actual results of those playoff series nothing has been that surprising.

Our defense has been better(than our regular season number)in the playoffs when we played teams who were mediocre to crap on offense during the regular season.(Utah)

Our defense has been worse(than our regular season number) in the playoffs against offenses that were towards the top during the regular season.(Minny and GS both years)

Our offense has been better during the playoffs when we have played crappy regular season defenses.(Minny)

Our offense has been worse in the playoffs against the high end regular season defenses.(Utah and GS of 17/18)

None of these 4 things should really surprise anyone.

Our biggest problem has been the fact that GS has just been better than us.

I don’t think our offensive strategy is a problem. This season against GS was the only series that a mediocre(regular season) defense held us down. One could argue that GS did a lot of coasting and their defensive number from the regular season wasn’t exactly accurate, but can’t say by how much it was off.

I don’t think our defensive strategy is a big problem either. We haven’t run into crap offenses who all of a sudden are dismantling our defense.

Again it’s simpler than people want to make it. Talent. GS has just been a better team than us.

18. RoyalGuard

RoyalGuard Member

I'm thinking it was some talking between cp3 and harden. But I feel alot of this is being blown up by the Lespn. With the warriors hobbled, who stands in L.A. way for a title? Trying to Saratoga out team from the outside.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It was a fun run, but this era is over.

20. TipsyDixit

TipsyDixit Member

Find me how many series teams lose when they post a 114 Ortg. I can tell you its probably less than 10 all-time.