1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Love for Battier from Bill Simmons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Patience, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/blog/index?name=simmons

Q: This is what you wrote about Joakim Noah in your most recent blog: "He's a winner, he's always in the right place at the right time, he always makes the right decision on either end, he doesn't care about stats, he's immensely fun to play with and he makes 5-6 important plays per game that will not be reflected in the stats." Couldn't that exact, I mean EXACT, same thing have been said about Shane Battier in 2001? Do you still think Noah should be a top-four pick knowing that?
    --Neil A. Johnson, Peoria, Ill.

SG: Hell yeah! What's wrong with Shane Battier? Is he not having a big enough impact on Houston's season for you? He's the most underrated Intangibles Guy in the entire league -- you can't measure him by stats, you can only measure him by watching the games and seeing all the little things he does from game to game. And he's a fantastic locker room guy. That's why I was such a big proponent of the Battier-for-Gay/Swift trade last summer. If you did the 2001 Draft over again (which was seriously loaded, by the way) and every team got a do-over for its pick, here's how the top 11 would go:

1. Wash -- Gilbert Arenas (No. 30 originally)
    2. Clips -- Pau Gasol (3)
    3. Atlanta -- Tony Parker (28)
    4. Chicago -- Joe Johnson (10)
    5. G-State -- Mehmet Okur (37)
    6. Grizz -- Zach Randolph (19)
    7. Jersey -- Eddy Curry (4)
    8. Cleveland -- Shane Battier (6)
    9. Detroit -- Jason Richardson (5)
    10. Boston -- Gerald Wallace (25)
    11. Boston -- Richard Jefferson (13)

So let's say Noah evolves into a more talented, big man's version of Battier ... why would this be a bad thing?

2. matty101

matty101 Member

Man that draft was loaded big time :eek: Might even compare to the 2003 draft. Anyway Bill Simmons said it right about shane. He does all the intangibles and is a true professional. Props to Shane!!

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

simmons does great writing and humor but the guy is like jim rome when it comes to sports. he has zero sports analysis ability...but I will be happy to see rockets respect anywhere I can find it :D

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

hardly, the 2003 draft had 4 of the top 5 as cant miss and if darko comes around to be a respectable player then possibly 5.

the 2001 draft is you look at it the majority of the picks were high after the "lottery" (after pick 13) most of the top 13 picks didnt even make the list, goes to show you that this draft was more of a "potential" based draft than skills. Curry really hasnt come on decently until this past december.

notable missing players in the top 10 of that draft: kwame brown, tyson chandler, eddie griffin, desiangia diop, kendrick perkins

its a shame really that players like arenas, randolph and okur fell so low due to the GM's love with potential.

5. SuperYanthrax

SuperYanthrax Member

Most of the so called analysts have crappy analysis abilities (see Barkley, Charles or Smith, Kenny) IMO. At least Simmons is entertaining, and he's right a lot of the time, which is enough to keep me reading his columns.

6. FFz

FFz Member

wohhh wohh wohh... i like battier and all, but him before Richard Jefferson? And Gerald Wallace before Richard Jefferson?

7. choujie

choujie Member

Eddie Griffin would go undrafted.

8. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

I probably would have JRich also ahead of Battier. But the Rockets today are better with Battier.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

gay's going for 30 tonight. he's had a nice stretch since being inserted into the starting lineup.

not to derail this thread because I don't know if the rockets would be as good with yao out of the lineup without battier. I've been surprised about what he is doing. but the early reports of Gay's demise might be premature. we'll see.

10. GreatRox

GreatRox Member

very well deserved. a good role player should receive some love like the stars.

11. popojj

popojj Member

I think so~~~ :)

12. GreatRox

GreatRox Member

Playing in the rockets can make shane more popular.

not only we are a strong team, we have T-mac and Yao the billion fans Ming stuck in the middle.

13. Dr.Worm

Dr.Worm Member

Simmons is a joke for so many reasons, but Gasol over Parker? Are you ****ing serious?

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I wonder how Okur would have developed had JVG been his coach for the first 3 or 4 years.

15. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Good to see stuff like this, especially from someone that everyone reads. People like me have been so wrong about Shane so many times, it's amazing that (every summer) we forget how frickin' brilliant he is during the winter.

16. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Umm, yeah. You wouldn't take Gasol over Parker? Or if you wouldn't, do you really there's that big of a difference between them? I mean, we're not exactly talking Gasol over Lebron or Wade. I mean, it's Parker. Yes, good numbers in the regular season, but not exactly a world-beater in the playoffs.

17. GreatRox

GreatRox Member

is that the guy who crashed his SUV while doing something in the driver's seat?

he is a DUM

Driving Under the influence of Masturbating

DUM griffin.

18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Yes, Gasol over Parker. I think most people would actually do that so no its not some insane suggestion.

19. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

Gasol is pretty damn good. I'd would take him over Parker. but parker is pretty special as well

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

if nothing else on my team was known i'd take gasol over parker also.