1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN/GAMMONS] Kim Rumor

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RKMAN, Feb 21, 2005.

1. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

He reported that the Astros were looking at and trying to aquire Red Sox RP Byung-Hyun Kim. I likey!

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It sounds good -- if the guy could actually get someone out.

3. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

I can already picture his dear in the headlights look, and it's not a pretty sight.

Can you imagine this gas can in Minute Maid?

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What for? Set-up guy? 5th starter? Pissed that they got Wade Miller for nothing?

5. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

Has anyone actually looked at this dude's stats? He's a bonafied setup man/emergency starter. Look at his stats:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=6237

He had one bad year because of a dead arm. Before that, he was solid. To further prove my point: CANT BE WORSE THAN MICELI :D

6. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

EXACTLY! I like him as a setup man and emergency 5th starter. He would thrive in the role Dotel had when Wags was still here (and the role Lidge had starting last season).

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Miceli had a pretty good year with us last year.

8. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

It is so funny when you "get it" :D

I believe I got your drift....

9. PhiSlammaJamma

In a few minutes, the entire nation will be watching us...god help us. But Kim will provide some relief.

10. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

As long as he doesn't have to pitch in a World Series game at Yankee Stadium, he'll be fine...and seeing as how we won't...oh, never mind;)

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This guy is another Miceli written all over him (and I also agree that Dan was pretty solid for us in his 2 years here).

But, all that people are going to remember is the playoffs... and that is where your mistakes get magnified.

Kim has great movement on his stuff... but when guys are as locked in as they are in the post-season, that basically means nothing unless you have a slider like Lidge, or a splitter like Roger (meaning, if you have a pitch that goes out of the K zone... hitters aren't likely to be free-swinging like they are in the regular season).

Qualls is still working hard... and he has all the tools to be a dominant set-up man (and, his post-season, minus the meaningless 3-run HR in the Braves game, was adequate).

12. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I don't care what Imbiceli did in his two regular seasons for the Astros. HE IS THE SCUM OF THE EARTH. OH I DETEST HIM!:mad: :mad: :mad: No one should ever joke around about Misseli's goodness/badness. He is nothing but sh*t! Y'all do remember that he managed to lose 4 games for the Astros in the playoffs, 3 or 4 whatever it was, he is WORTHLESS!

Kim would be a welcome addition. He's better than most of the guys in the Astros' bullpen. Even if he hasn't been great lately, he's more proven than the majority of guys in the 'Stros 'pen. Get him for someone besides Lane or Burke.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, Kim single-handedly turned the 2001 World Series from a 5 game series to a 7 game series.... and this was back when he was considered as a lights-out pitcher.

If Arizona had eventually lost, Kim might not have even been in the league much longer... but since they won, his ULTIMATE failures were tempered a bit.

I would only take him for nothing... I wouldn't give up anything of value for him (which means we proabbly won't get it.

14. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

i say we need to concentrate on the hoodrats

15. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I really think he can be okay as a setup man for us. I believe he coudln't handle the pressure of being the closer for any team but if he doesn't have that pressue then he should do decent for us.

16. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I think he would be a good pick up for us.

17. FranchiseBoi86

What could we offer for him?

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i like qualls' stuff alot. he's coming off his rookie season, and despite an average playoff showing he looked really good in the month leading up. i'm pretty satisfied with him and wheeler setting it up for lidge. that said another arm like kim in there is not a bad thing, i just wouldn't give up too much.

19. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

They got rid of "Walk-off" Miceli now they are going after "Walk-Off" Kim. I hope Roy- O and Clemens can carry us again because that bullpen is a joke.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't know about that... for some reason, I feel more confident with Wheeler-Qualls-Lidge than I did last year with Miceli-Lidge-Dotel.

Granted, a lot of that is because we now see how dominant of a closer Lidge is (and how terrible Dotel was as a closer)... but Wheeler stepped it up big-time in the playoffs, and Qualls was money down the stretch in the regular season... and minus one bad inning in the playoffs, he performed admirably.

He single-handedly kept us in the game in game 6... where we had an opportunity to win it all that night.