1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[espn] Dennis Rodman back to North Korea

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Dec 13, 2013.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10134211/dennis-rodman-return-north-korea-train-basketball-team

Dennis Rodman back to North Korea
    Updated: December 13, 2013, 5:14 PM ET

Dennis Rodman plans to travel to North Korea next week to train its basketball team, a trip unaffected by the execution of leader Kim Jong Un's uncle.

Jang Song Thaek's execution, announced early Friday in Pyongyang, marked an unprecedented fall from grace of one of the most powerful figures in the country as well as its most serious political upheaval in decades. Jang was North Korea's No. 2 official -- behind only Kim.

Rodman considers Kim a close friend and has a long-scheduled trip that starts Monday to train the national team. Rodman also has organized an exhibition game in January in Pyongyang to celebrate Kim's birthday. Rodman could reveal the roster next week. He says former professional basketball players have committed to the game, though he declined to reveal names.

Rodman, known as much for his piercings, tattoos and bad behavior as he was for basketball, was the highest-profile American to meet Kim since Kim inherited power from father Kim Jong Il in 2011. He traveled to the secretive state for the first time in February with the Harlem Globetrotters for an HBO series produced by New York-based VICE television.

"Yes, I'm going to North Korea to train the basketball team," he told The Associated Press by phone. "I'm going to bring American players over there. Yes I am. I'm going to be the most famous person in the world when you see American people holding hands and hoping the doors can be opened. If they can. If they can. If they can. I'm going. I'm going back for his birthday. Special."

Rodman has been criticized for not talking about North Korea's human rights record, described as one of the world's worst by activists, the U.S. State Department and North Korean defectors. The defectors have repeatedly testified about the government's alleged use of indiscriminate killings, rapes, beatings and prison camps holding as many as 120,000 people deemed opponents of authoritarian leader Kim Jong Un, the third generation of his family to rule.

Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press

2. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

rodman thinks this is all a joke, what happens when kim jong un orders rodman and his team of americans executed bc he gets pissed off that they play no defense........im seeing a chappelle show "when keeping it real goes wrong"

3. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

4. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I'd say it's more like:

[​IMG]

5. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. AFS

AFS Member

FootLocker knew it all along.

7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

8. GIGO

GIGO Member

Rodman in North Korea to train national team

[​IMG]
    Former NBA basketball star Dennis Rodman walks with Vice Minister of North Korea's Sports Ministry, Son Kwang Ho, as Rodman arrives at the international airport in Pyongyang, North Korea on Thursday, Dec. 19, 2013. Photo: Kim Kwang Hyon, AP
    http://www.sfgate.com/news/world/article/Rodman-flies-to-North-Korea-to-train-national-team-5077475.php

9. Yellow

Yellow Member

Rodman needs to stay off that coke

10. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Every basketball contact ignores rodmans calls for the next 2 weeks

11. Little General

Maybe something positive comes out of this. Maybe basketball will set the people free or just for a bit forget about the hardship living under that regime.

12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I can see it in text books 50 years from now. "World War III was caused by a cross dressing basketball player."

13. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Rodman should include THIS GUY in his roster of 12. Surely the North Korean team can learn a thing or two from him.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Rodman: I'll teach the team to play mean defense.
    Kim: We are mean alright. Offense and defense.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

16. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Rodman Saves The World

17. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

sickest gig ever

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10243116/dennis-rodman-names-team-north-korean-exhibition

19. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

I recently watched the Vice documentary of when Rodman and some Globetrotters went over to N.Korea. The documentary definitely made it seem as though some creepy, conspiracy stuff was going on throughout the visit, but the parts where they played basketball with the Korean players and children made it seem as though something good was happening. I mean, who doesn't like the Globetrotters? And apparently people over there love basketball (apparently).

In the grand scheme of things, these visits probably won't amount to much, but as a gesture of good will and sportsmanship its a step in the right direction I think. If you haven't seen the documentary I advise checking it out on youtube.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It will amount to Rodman putting it in young korean boys and girls.