1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN anchor Jemele Hill called President Donald Trump a white supremacist.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Daddy Long Legs, Sep 13, 2017.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I also want to say I listen to a lot of ESPN during working hours, mostly because it's background noise and I can easily tune it out but it can be a pleasant distraction when they start talking about a Houston team or another sports topic that interests me.

The idea that they don't like conservatives is debunked by Will Cain, who is very open about his political beliefs on the network, you can see him in several debates with Max Kellerman and Stephen A on first take. In fact, for nearly every political discussion about they bring out Will Cain. You can argue they should have more, but they certainly do have them on there.

Will Cain is not fired, in fact he's still a regular on the network. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him his own show or podcast soon.

You can argue and ask if ESPN is getting too political regardless. I think for whatever reason (maybe they aren't doing as bad as Trump says, I don't know...) they are adding more personalities and this means letting people be more opinionated about more things than just sports.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

ESPN essentially wants to have its cake and eat it too.

They want to capitalize on the high ratings "reality TV" world that we live in where we have heated discussions about topics that are very personal, and revolve around moral decisions, race, etc. but they don't want to act as if they are JUST a sports programming show when it comes to offending anyone in their conservative base, the football community which is the majority of their coverage. And really this goes into a bigger issue of the culture of football in general and the ownership that conservative football fans think they have over the sport and the players they think should act this way or that way based on their own image.

You see this in all of their big talk shows like M&M and First Take. They want to talk about steroids in baseball, whether a criminal wife beater can come back and play sooner or later, or kneeling during the National Anthem, but at same time its not okay to talk about white supremacy or gay rights? We can talk about one issue, but when it comes to an issue that conservatives are un-easy with dealing with, its suddenly "political".

ESPN is going to have to make some hard choices real soon. Either they are 100% sports programming, or they aren't. Last night on the Daily Show, they made a joke about ESPN Liberal, or ESPN Conservative, and that actually might be where we see sports consumption go. Because athletes aren't all white conservatives anymore folks. If we want to talk about sports, and have discussions about life and morality, be prepared for a heated political discussion.

Also.... Steven A. has been talking politics nonstop for years, and is a panelist on FoxNews for crying out loud. I don't see ESPN telling him to shut up anytime soon, and to stop talking politics.

Astrodome and JayGoogle like this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Exactly and this the more interesting conversation IMO. This is why ESPN made the move to make their shows more personal, more centered around personalities and people than just "Sportscenter" it is now "The 6 with Michael and Jemele."

And they are trying to walk a fine line where these two for one moment talk about the Cowboys and then the next moment talk about how Kaepernick still doesn't have a job and how they disagree with that. It's going to rub people the wrong way. Is this good or bad for their bottom line? I really don't know, I don't care to even google it and find out, and I sure won't take Trump's word for it.

I don't see ESPN backing down from this either. I think with added pressure they will hire more people like Will Cain to counter the Max Kellerman's and Jemele's.

I honestly feel it is impossible to keep politics and the real world out of anything. I see people always say "Get politics out of my _____" whatever it is.....
    Music, games, shows...people have to realize that the creators of these things are people with political beliefs at the end of the day.

ESPN is really just letting its talent be more open about who they are, they even come out and tell you the teams they root for now which is not something I remember them doing until recently.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Money dropping TRUTH BOMBS!!!

This muth****a can barely read but he's smarter than 80% of cf.net. Money keeping if real and he put that dumb ass handout b**** her place. I love this dude!

#384 ipaman, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  5. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I've never paid that much attention to what Mayweather said...but this is a good clip. We would be a lot better off if more of us worked on what we needed to do, and paid less attention to what others do or say.

in fact, I'm going to take that to heart, and work more on it myself. Good post, Ipaman. Truth bombs, indeed!

ipaman likes this.
  6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

haha - youre going to need to explain this one little boy.

first of all, ive never called trump a white supremacist. again, i said at the least he has racist tendencies and gives support to white supremacists and racists.

second, i never watched one second of the apprentice, which is the "hit TV show" i assume you are referring to. at that point donald trump had no effect on my life. he was not on my radar at all. trumps bigotry only became an issue for me when he decided to run for president and started making a series of racist and vile comments.

this might be difficult for you to comprehend, but i hold our elected leaders to a higher standard than reality TV show "stars".

7. ipaman

Just trying to figure out how a white supremacist gets a #1 hit tv show on NBC but everyone except yourself ignored the question. That's why my man Floyd is right, nobody was calling out Trump for **** until he won. And to all those whiners and protesters, quit facking wasting your time and shitty life. Stay home and work on you, invent some ****, hard work and dedication baby!

8. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

you are lying again...even before he ran for president trump got called out quite a bit for his discriminatory housing practices.

you seem to have a difficult time comprehending this, but trump did not begin making racist and ignorant comments in public until he ran for president.

and what is worse - to "whine and protest" when our elected officials make racist and ignorant comments or for someone like you, who claims they dont even support trump to put so much time into defending his indefensible racist comments?

my life is far from shitty, but thanks for your concern. if i were you i would worry more about myself than the lives of people you dont even know.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's up to you that you don't see racism in any of the things that Trump has done. But people have complained about his discrimination before he was a politician and after he was a politician. He had to settle a court case about his discrimination. You have contorted yourself into knots trying to make it so that his prejudiced comments about a judge aren't prejudiced comments.

Maybe it's that you believe that the race card gets played too often and you just tend to disbelieve almost all claims of it.

But none of that really matters. What matters is that where you don't see it, others do. That doesn't make them wrong. Calling all of the many people who have seen it names for not agreeing with you isn't helpful nor does it help make your case.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Actually no... There are ****ing documentaries made in the god damn 90s about Trump and his scumbag ways.

11. ipaman

@jo mama @FranchiseBlade @fchowd0311

As expected none of you all provided me any proof that Trump was called a White Supremacist before he won.

And don't give me that corporate related discriminatory substitute either because tons of companies and business leaders have those terrible practices and we're not arguing whether or not trump is a capitalistic pig. In fact if this is a problem for you then you better not own an Iphone, or have gear from Nike, H&M, or food/candy from Nestle, etc..., Even Disney her parent company has some serious ethical issues around labor. In fact Jemele Hill better not have any of that stuff either if she gonna use his corporate past and she probably should refuse to work for Disney.

I keep going back to my man Floyd. Cut the bullshit and use common sense. Do something good with your life instead of wasting your life because someone said a few words that sound terrible. Focus on sticks and stones not stupid words from a stupid man. Or don't and stay triggered for the rest of your wasting life.

And since where here, hollywood, media, celebrities, and trolls like jemele hill. and make no mistake she's a troll because we have proof of her past trying "move up" and increase her profile by being controversial. but no where in that past is real support for real issues and imo using real issues to promote your career are disgusting and maybe even worse. all words, no actions and floyd 'aint got time for that ****.

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Is there a difference between a white racist and a white supremacist?

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Let me google it for you...
    http://fortune.com/2016/06/07/donald-trump-racism-quotes/
    http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/trumps-long-history-of-racism-w497876
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...5a3617c767b_story.html?utm_term=.40de89ff2e5d
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/every-moment-donald-trumps-long-complicated-history-race/

for starters...

No Worries and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Did he say this after beating the mother of his son, in front of his son? Was this before or after his 12 year old son called him a "coward"?

15. ipaman

no one is perfect and he paid his price for his terrible mistake. but don't deflect because not floyd, not me, not anybody, talking about domestic abuse in this thread fool.

16. dobro1229

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/28/us/politics/donald-trump-housing-race.html

I don't know how the 1970's isn't long enough before the election for IPAMan. The Federal Government pretty clearly accused him back in the 70's. Just because the guy later got a reality TV show where he really just was a character who was supposed to embody the A-Hole CEO doesn't mean that he got the TV deal because he was suddenly then known as a figure of moral decency.... we was given fame at that time, and before for being controversial and an A-hole. He was just an entertaining A-Hole that people knew so he got the show and people watched.

And he's still playing the part of an A-Hole now... just one with the nuclear codes, and do things like have the ability to take healthcare away from millions.

17. ipaman

All of those links describe an insensitive, ignorant, out of touch, idiot. None of those links referenced accusations or membership as a "white supremacist" in Trumps past. All specific accusations and labeling occurred after he won.

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At this point, you are simply dismissing evidence based on your idea that he can't possibly be a racist. You claimed that you wouldn't accept the evidence that his business was prejudiced against black people by denying them equal opportunity to housing as evidence that he might be a racist. You made the claim that other businesses were also guilty of the same practice, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a discrimination based on a person's race. Yet in your eyes, that doesn't really count as evidence that he might be prejudiced against black folks.

You simply are ignoring all of the evidence. But just because you choose to ignore and discount it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. You shouldn't be upset that other folks aren't ignoring it.

20. dobro1229

Actually they describe someone who has made a career out of exploiting racial divisions for his own benefit. All starting with selling condos in the 70's where you don't have to worry about black people living next to you. Just as he sold a version of America where you don't have to live next to Mexicans.

So has Trump always been labeled to your standards as a card carrrying KKK piece of crap??? No but he has been labeled AND proven to be a card carrying opportunist racist piece of crap for 40 freaking years. Both his business career and his poltical careeer were both launched by pure racism.

Are you trying to make some argument where if he's "just" an opportunist racist it's somehow better than if he paid monthly dues to David Duke? It's quite obvious that regardless of his personal feelings about minorities, his achievements in the "white supremacist" department achieve levels every single member of the KKK would die to achieve.

So you tell me where your argument is going here and what the F you are trying to prove about Donald J Trump?