1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[End Times] Las Vegas' grasshopper invasion is so big you can see it on weather radar

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Las Vegas' grasshopper invasion is so big you can see it on weather radar

Updated 11:37 AM ET, Sun July 28, 2019

Millions of grasshoppers are invading Las Vegas 01:17
    (CNN)A wet spring in Las Vegas has spawned hordes of grasshoppers so large, they're showing up on the weather radar.

In viewing the radar, CNN meteorologist Allison Chinchar said it looked like there were two storms over the Vegas area: one north of the city (that was actual rain) and another right over Las Vegas. But the second one wasn't moving as rain normally would, she said.
    "It looked as though it should be torrentially downpouring in Las Vegas," said Chinchar.
    By changing the settings on the radar, meteorologists could see that the other "storm" was actually the massive hordes of grasshoppers that have settled over the city in recent days, Chinchar said.
    The National Weather Service office in Las Vegas said in a tweet Saturday that people have been asking about "the widespread radar returns" in the city over the past few nights.

Some of you have been asking about the widespread radar returns the past few nights in #Vegas. Radar analysis suggests most of these echoes are biological targets. This typically includes birds, bats, and bugs, and most likely in our case--> Grasshoppers. [​IMG] #VegasWeather

[​IMG]

12:08 AM - Jul 27, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy

425 people are talking about this

Las Vegas, like all of Nevada, has had almost twice as much rain in 2019 than normal, Chinchar said. The city has had 4.63 inches of rain to date -- much more than its usual average of 2.38 inches in the same period.
    "It appears through history that when we have a wet winter or spring, these things build up often down below Laughlin and even into Arizona," Jeff Knight, state entomologist with the Nevada Department of Agriculture, said. "We'll have flights (of grasshoppers) about this time of the year, migrations, and they'll move northward."
    Knight said the swarms aren't terribly unusual given the amount of rain the state has had this year.
    "We have records clear from the '60s of it happening, and I have seen it ... at least four or five times in my 30-plus years," he said. "There are some special weather conditions that trigger the migration."

2. PhiSlammaJamma

Where is John Carter when u need him?

B-Bob and Kim like this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I haven't read my ancient prophecies lately but wasn't Sodom or Gemorah done in by one of the plagues?

Jeff Bezos better sacrifice a million cows at some temple in Jerusalem

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Science Channel called this a plague on Secrets of the Submerged.

5. Buck Turgidson

At that point, the're called locusts. Plagues of locusts.

Good luck with all that.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Doubt many will get this meme....:(...:)

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

not fooling me, mysterio! i have seen your documentary

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Hmmm, Sin City and a locust invasion, sounds familiar.