1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Elizabeth Edwards: can't make John black or a woman

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Aug 7, 2007.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

but he sure is a pretty boy... don't want to make too much of this, but it's an interesting, and unusually frank, assessment of the state of the democratic campaign, and the uphill battle JE faces to get media attention with Hill and Obama getting so much attention.

http://www.cioinsight.com/article2/0,1540,2167603,00.asp

[rquoter]
    The Web 2.008 Campaign
    August 6, 2007
    By Edward Cone
    Election 2008: The Internet Campaign

Web video and social networks are two of the hottest technologies for Campaign '08. Video is ready for prime time, social networking is a relative unknown.

Video arrived in 2006, when George Allen, then a Republican Virginia senator, called a rival staffer the crypto-racist slur "macaca." The clip of the incident helped tip the Senate to the Democrats.

The Web can be liberating. "It's about bypassing the sieve of the mainstream media," says Elizabeth Edwards, wife and confidant of Democratic presidential hopeful John Edwards. "The idea that you have people standing between you and the voter is diminished, and the capacity to speak directly empowers candidates to trust their own voices." With Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama hogging media coverage, campaigns can push their messages without paying for ads.

"In some ways, it's the way we have to go," Edwards says. "We can't make John black, we can't make him a woman. Those things get you a lot of press, worth a certain amount of fundraising dollars. Now it's nice to get on the news, but not the be all and end all."

Candidate Edwards, dogged by stories about his expensive haircuts and a YouTube video showing him primping before the camera, released a video set to the song "Hair," with images of Iraq and New Orleans and a tagline, "What Really Matters?" Clinton warmed her image earlier this summer by starring in a Sopranos spoof.

Social networks made their mark during the 2004 presidential race when Meetup.com helped organize thousands of people in physical space. MySpace, Facebook and others improve on that with communication and networking tools, and people are signing up for campaigns by the tens of thousands. But to what end?

"The thinking across the board is uninspiring and lacking in strategic focus," says Fred Stutzman, a University of North Carolina PhD candidate who studies social networks. "The outcomes haven't been clearly defined. If it's raising money, perhaps it's not the right medium. If it's microinfluence, one person influencing two people, there are some interesting opportunities."

Earlier this year, the Obama campaign took over a MySpace domain created by a volunteer, then balked at the price he asked for his work. That generated bad buzz, and temporarily reduced the campaign's contact list. But GOP Internet strategist Michael Turk thinks the campaign misunderstood the deal. "The price wasn't bad when you can message people and set up contribution buttons," he says. "A misconception among people who don't spend all day thinking about the Internet is how much it costs to do things online."

One technology notable for its absence: mobile devices. "It should be maybe the most important technology of 2008, but it isn't," says Republican consultant Patrick Ruffini.

Then again, that could change by Election Day. [/rquoter]

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

wow miss edwards, do you really think john is getting attention for those reasons? we can't give him a personality either apparently

3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

What's even worse news for you basso is you can't make Rudy, Fred, John or Mitt a Democrat, right on the war or in line with American opinion on any of the issues that they care about. Sucks to be you.

4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

You mean Hillaroid and Balack Osama are receiving media attention because they are a woman and a (half) black man?

YOU DON'T SAY

lol, at least Lizzy Edwards is keeping it real.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Time for Miss Edwards to adopt a girl from a third world country.

6. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

They have nots? Surprise, surprise.

7. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i could give a fig what party they, or the black woman/white man running for the democrats belong to, or, for that matter whether any of them conform to your construct of american opinion. we'll have ample opportunity to see what american opinion is in about 15 months or so. until then, you'll just have to live with W. sucks more to be you.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Probably sucks more to be one of the 500, 700 or 1000 deployed GIs who will be dead in that same time span, thanks to "signs of progress." But the article is newsworthy.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think Liz should encourage John to get a perm. That would spark his campaign and get him some TV coverage.

Photoshop anyone?

10. deepblue

deepblue Member

Is there any doubt that Hillary and Obama will benefit from being female, black? It's not right or wrong, its just the way it is. She should speak the truth without worry about being PC.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'll see their "benefit" when a woman and/or black American gets elected.

12. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Yes, there's so much advantage in being woman or black. I mean look at all those past woman and black presidents....... um um.......

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

spoken from the same dumb b**** who thawt condoleeeeeza was the repub nomineee

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAhAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAH

sorry, it was funny.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

and the same people supporting this idiotic statement would be the first to jump on a black person for "pulling out the race card". hilarious

15. deepblue

deepblue Member

Hillary might just do that. You can't tell me when she did the "I am your girl" in last night's debate, she was not playing the female card.

16. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

She was talking about all the recent attacks from candidates of her own party. Talking about how democrats need to stop attacking each other and attack the republican candidates. It was a pretty good line. It was obviously a play on the line "I'm your man" when discussing who has the experience to take on the Republican slim machine.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

man I had no idea it was that easy. hey guys, in three years when i'm 35 i'm throwing my hat in the ring. my slogan,

"vote for pgabriel, i'm black"

should be a landslide

18. deepblue

deepblue Member

No doubt it was a good line, good for her. But you got to be pretty naive to think she is not playing to the "I am the only female candidate, and I could be the first female president" angle.

I would bet that majority of democrat women and a large number of republican women voters will vote for Hillary. People root for whomever they can identify with, be it gender, ethnic, social circle. It is what it is, not right or wrong. Kind like people around here love the Red Sox and hate the Yankees.

19. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

i only like him for his hair AND NOW YOU RUINED IT MISS EDWARDS. SCREW JOHN AND SCREW YOU!@!!!

20. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

No way, you can't capitalize.