1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

El Salvador and Guatemala Currently Have the Highest Murder Rates in the World

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jun 24, 2018.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Therefore what is going on on the border is a refugee crisis equivalent to people fleeing a war zone. This is something i have personally failed to understand.

They are discussing this on Meet The Press. So part of the solution to the problems on the border is bringing some stability to these countries.

SF3isBack!! and durvasa like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How is that possible given that El Salvador only has 5.8 guns per 100 people? There's 88 countries (including just about every western nation) that have more guns per 100 people than El Salvador, how can they have the worst murder rate in the world? I was told that the number of guns in a country is what determines the murder rate, is that not true?

It's almost like the desire to commit murder is what matters and not how many guns are in a country.

cml750 and crash5179 like this.
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't know but i think access to guns waa alluded to as far as Guatemala is concerned
    https://list25.com/25-countries-with-the-highest-murder-rates-in-the-world/5/

Actually they are 4 and 5 behind Belize Honduras and Venezuela

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Guatemala has 13.1 guns per 100 people....the same as Australia, considerably less than Sweeden, Finland, Canada, France, or Germany. I'm thinking the ridiculously high murder rate has less to do with access to guns and more to do with a desire to kill people among Guatemalans.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bro no need to argue with me i updated that last post with a link to the rankings

They are 4 and 5

Edit: i understand what you're saying apparently its just lack of law enforcement. Unfortunately a lot of the countries are African with the same lack of stability issues

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, those central and south American countries swap spots on a year to year basis, but they are usually at or near the top despite having fairly few guns compared to western nations. That was my point.

7. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The situation on the border is largely due to DACA, in addition to drugs. Look at Honduras: prior to DACA it was not a significant source of pending asylum applications. After DACA? That is a different story.

And if you think it is the rising murder rate in Honduras that is driving people to seek asylum here, think again: the murder rate in Honduras has been dropping since 2011.

Also, Mexico's murder rate for May 2018?

27.5 per 100,000.

I can't wait till we have 2 million pending asylum applications from Mexico, but it looks like we are headed there.

crash5179 likes this.
  8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The murder rates apparently represent gang/warlord rule

9. Major

Major Member

DACA only applies to people who were here before 2007. DACA doesn't help any new people entering the country. Besides, DACA and asylum status are completely separate tracks anyway.

joshuaao likes this.
  10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I see you and @fchowd0311 like playing the same game. DACA is a motivating factor.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yet....DACA didn't help anyone before Obama started it in 2012, why not break in now and wait for the next round of amnesty?

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Without doing research im sure the cocaine traffic is a major source of murder.

Cocaine traffic was obviously the problem on the Mexican border ten years ago when Obama took over and while taking heat for Fast and Furious one of Obama's underrated successes is stemming cartel violence on the Mexican border.

13. Major

Major Member

Why? People are like "hey, they let kids who came into the country back in 2007 have a chance to stay there, so now I'm going to flee the violence in my country! But before DACA, I'd just stick it out here!" ? That's the idea?

You don't get to just make up motivations with no evidence or logic and claim it as fact. Well, you can - it just re-emphasizes that you don't know anything of the topics you discuss.

joshuaao, R0ckets03 and Nook like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They aren't feeling violence for the most part, most are economic migrants....you know, just like the mother of the little girl that Time Magazine made the face of asylum seekers being separated from their families at the border that ended up being completely fake news as the mother turned out to be nothing more than an economic migrant that wasn't separated from her child that she kidnapped from the father because she fraudulently claimed asylum.

15. body slam

body slam Member

Get the gangs, cartel, and corruption under control in Central America is the key to a lot of problem.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't expect the village idiot to understand that

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DACA did not cause the situation on the border.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You have about as much of a chance of convincing him as you are in CO2 is causing global warming

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

60 Minutes is doing an awesome piece on migration right now

#19 pgabriel, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It certainly is one of the main causes of the unaccompanied minor problems, the reason they are going is the hope of getting the DACA treatment one day.

[​IMG]

#20 Bobbythegreat, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    cml750 and Cohete Rojo like this.