1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eat crow thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by whag00, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Pretty close. Around 3.5-4.0 it becomes less of a pick'em.

If the game had been in Buffalo, the Texans would have been under dogs.

Some of both.

Based on what we saw last year in the playoffs, it is fair to say that questioning their coaching preparation is fair. I do think that the Bills are very well coached though.

Both teams made mistakes late in the game that likely would cost them against better teams, but for many of the Texans this was their first playoff victory.

I am anti-BOB as a play caller based on what I have seen over the years. I can change my mind though, I have on coaches in the past.

As far as who gets credit, hard to say because not on the sideline..... really the only people that know are the guys in the huddle. I am also partially jaded by the fact that I have seen Watson play very well in big spots before and come through.

Yes, having Watson in the run game, and he also just seemed more relaxed. I know that isn't something that can be measured but he seemed more in command. With a player like Watson, his scrambling and incorporation in the run game (especially in playoff situations) should be a given.

Yes I expected him not to go for two, but was glad he did. Momentum was really going strong at that point for the Texans.

I think he is in the middle. I don't know that I would hire him to be the head coach of an NFL team that I owned. However his strengths are taken for granted. I look at someone like Norv Turner, who in his prime was an elite play caller but not a great head coach. Wade Phillips is another. Guys like John Fox and O'Brien are not fantastic innovators but they teams are disciplined.

I think it is fair for fans to not be happy that the franchise has not advanced further in the playoffs. At this point, the Texans won the game they should have won. Anyone that is upset that the Texans lose to the Chiefs or later the Ravens isn't realistic. A win over the Chiefs and then there should be a lot of excitement for the future.

Again, I think a lot of it is that the franchise hasn't won a lot in the playoffs. Also some fans are not realistic...... I am hearing formally jaded fans talking about beating the Chiefs and Ravens as if it is destiny. I am all for enthusiasm and not one to rain on their parade, but I know these same fans will be angry if the Texans don't beat them........ when realistically, the Texans won't be favored in either game.

No, it wasn't a cake walk for either team. Both lacked recent playoff success and both had strengths and weaknesses. I expected it to be the most competitive game of the weekend, which is why I didn't put any money on it.

I don't think anyone believes Watson went rogue. On one hand they deserve criticism for not being as well prepared in the first half. On the other hand they deserve credit for making changes.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

That's where I am, too. He's... fine. Talent, health and luck are far more important than coaching, and most of the stuff that upsets fans about BO'B, every other coach has done, too (again, save Belichick). I mean, look - Sean Payton is a very good coach. He's lost 6 of his last 10 postseason games, including at home to a #6 seed yesterday.

Would I trade BO'B for Payton? In a heartbeat. But I don't think the difference is as wide as people think.

Again, this is part of the recurring criticism of BO'B: bad = BO'B; good = not BO'B. I don't know that they were unprepared... I think it's safe to say McDermott (mostly) outcoached BO'B through the first two quarters and the Bills out-executed the Texans, for sure (which is on BO'B - but, look at some of those highlights you mentioned - man, those look like full-on player execution issues).

After that? McDermott was in over his head and couldn;t counter BO'B and RAC's adjustments. Credit BO'B.

Nook likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I know a lot of people have an unhealthy infatuation with the Kubiak years... where the team would come out with some nice scripts for the opening drive, and then be at risk for very little adjusting after. And if the team did come out flat, or well schemes against, there was usually no recourse.

not to say that it’s ok for the Texans to come out and fall behind now... it’s not... but to have the ability to make adjustments and alter the game plan mid-game is not something a lot of coaches or teams can do. Hell, we’ve seen this in half the Patriots super bowl wins.... with adjustments usually being a hallmark of any Belichick team.

I would love them to have both a perfect game plan and then adjust if needed... but the ability to perform the latter is the more valuable/hard to perform aspect.

Nook and Blatz like this.
  4. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I'm very happy. I'd say #4 for was a problem in that he held on too long or looked to run too often. But it was clear to me the BoB was outcoached the entire 1st half and I disagreed with his decision to go for it when we were up by 3. I don't exactly fault him for the decision, just disagree. I do fault him for that particular play call though.

I have hope for the next game. We've beat them once. The concern is that once again, the team comes out flat and appears not ready to play. That seems to be a trademark sign of a BoB coached Texans team. If we win, I'll consider it a successful season.

jamescar and raining threes like this.
  5. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Going to need some Cholula.

6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Come on man! Still 3 quarters to go smh

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Referring to my expectations of a slow start.

rugg31 and red5rocket like this.
  8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Well, players showed up ready to play in a big game for once. Unfortunately BoB showed up ready to coach too. Wish he'd Malleted the flight.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The crow is out of the oven and feelin fine.
    [​IMG]

Nook, whag00, KingCheetah and 2 others like this.
  10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Dont need to eat crow when u were right from the start.

Nook, Sajan, whag00 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Mr. Space City

Bill Obrien must be PETA, because he saved a lot of crows today.

Nook, whag00, King1 and 4 others like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

I hope Bob chokes on his crow.

Nook and whag00 like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

It took 7 seasons to kill Dewey Crowe. Just saying.

Nook and arkoe like this.
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The Crow, eat it.

Nook likes this.
  15. msn

msn Member

This thread didn't age well. :-(

16. clos4life

clos4life Member

Did OP create this thread for himself? Must have, because everyone else ain't dining.

17. Buck Turgidson

No Texans thread really ages well, does it?

msn likes this.