1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eat crow thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by whag00, Jan 4, 2020.

1. rugg31

rugg31 Member

So stats are what’s most important? Got it.

With those vaunted defenses Bill never won a division in Cleveland. Seattle was Carroll’s third stop as a head coach too.

So as long as BOB puts up top ten offenses he can have a losing playoff record over a 20 year span and you’ll be happy?

edit - Pete Carroll won a division title at 7-9 in 2010. Must have been the strongest division.

#101 rugg31, Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    houstonstime likes this.
  2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

^^^ Bills win ......

The bet was good before the game, but now, it's not.

3. Houstunna

Supporting Member

No, you don't 'got it'.

The post featured more info than just stats.

I'm starting to think you're trolling.

4. rugg31

rugg31 Member

You’re entire post was about offensive and defensive rankings outside of talking about Pete Carroll’s division and the Saints fluke losses.

5. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Still don't 'got it'..... like Billy

6. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

If Andy Reid coached the Texans and had similar track record, 100 percent people would want him fired.

7. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Why would that happen when Billy is worse and 30% don't want him fired ??

8. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Yeah that's where I am at. I think he would be a pretty good coach if he relinquished his play calling role and focused on managing/coaching the entire team.

He done a good job of instilling mental toughness, which is why we have made the playoffs after 2-5 and 0-3 starts. Kubiak teams never sniffed the playoffs once they started poorly.

Unfortunately he's never going to give up his offensive coordinator duties bc he's the most stubborn pain in the ass in the entire league. It's too bad, bc a good offensive playcaller could really put us over the top. With that being said I wouldn't mind if he took his head out of his ass and proved everyone wrong. We'll just have to wait and see. Fingers crossed.

raining threes likes this.
  9. rugg31

rugg31 Member

I’m not a huge believer in BOB’s ability to win a Super Bowl in the next few years, or maybe ever. At times he seems in over his head, sure. To write him off completely would be a mistake at this point though, in my opinion. His record first six seasons as a NFL head coach, with only five seasons of NFL experience prior, is pretty solid despite what many think and comparable to some of the best current head coaches. A very small percentage of NFL head coaches win a Super Bowl.

When you follow a NFL team as closely as many on here do watching most every play, it’s easier to be critical of mistakes. Every single team makes mistakes throughout a season. Every team has dumb play calls. It just happens. On a critical 3rd and 8 in the second half today Payton/Brees throw a sideways pass that picks up four yards with little hope of a 1st down.

Hey Now! and raining threes like this.
  10. raining threes

Yr 2 without RS and the talent level has really improved to the point that I think they have a chance to beat the Chiefs again next weekend.

11. raining threes

4 sucked in last years playoff game and for 2 1/2 qtrs in this yrs playoff game. Was BOB a problem? Yes

Was #4 a problem for most of the game yesterday? Yes

They beat a very good Bills team yesterday. You should be happy.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So...other posters have made their position known based mainly on his entire body of work and you call them "haters" and "p*****s". You want him fired after 30 minutes of one game and then change your mind based on another 30+ minutes of one game. Got it.....

the11mingdynasty likes this.
  13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

As I have said before, I’ll wait til the end of the season to judge. During and immediately after the game, I reacted like you with emotion. That’s why you should wait with some time before making a full evaluation. Human.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Which the vast majority of posters that you denigrate have done. They have made their thoughts known after watching numerous games yet you continue to insult them. They haven't reacted based on emotion. They have done exactly what you claim to have done. Why can't they be allowed to come to a different conclusion than you? Why are they p*****s and haters? You insult people just because they have a different view point than you?

Houstunna and Nook like this.
  15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I specifically focused on this season because BO’B had full control. To see what he could do and judge after the season. Haters were so sure that he would fail at beginning of the season. Im human and can react with emotion too.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Were they?

To be fair, they lost a single playoff game last year and the forum nearly imploded.

17. Nook

Nook Member

The Vegas line the last time I looked was Texans by 3.5

Having concerns about the Texans performance in the post season is extremely reasonable based on history. They traditionally do not look prepared, and they certainly did not look prepared to start against the Bills. In the second half it looked like Watson got more latitude. Let's hope that Watson is given more latitude again because most likely the Chiefs are going to put their fair share of points on the board.

A victory over the Chiefs would be exciting for me personally. I expect the Chiefs to win, but the Texans have a chance.

Also the board last year almost exploded because the Texans were clearly out coached last year and lost to a team many on her felt were not as good as the Texans. Couple that with the Texans playoff history and you understandably have a restless fan base.

Sooty likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

At this point we have a long track record. He isn't a Hall of Fame coach, but he isn't Marvin Lewis either. His success will in part hinge on his ability to adapt as a coach. He is very good at keeping discipline without his players hating him. His players love him and play hard for him. Those are very important traits that many coaches do not have. However his in game coaching is poor and he is a poor play caller. Will he adjust and bring someone in that can call the offense for him? Will he develop or bring in quality coaches? That is what will define his tenure in my opinion.

He has to see himself as part of a bigger puzzle. He has to know who to delegate to and who not to. That goes for talent evaluation as well.

rugg31 likes this.
  19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Which is, essentially, a pick 'em.

Were they unprepared... or should we reserve some credit for the Bills, who looked every bit like a top 5 defense those first 30 minutes?

I don't know what that means - and I suspect you really don't either because it's one of those benign statements designed to give Watson - and not BO'B - credit, which is the hallmark of a lot of the anti-BO'B rhetoric (not that you're in that group). Regardless, "more latitude" - whatever that means - would've been a coaching decision so... he deserves credit, no?

To me - and I think this is probably what you're dancing around - the most striking adjustment at halftime was incorporating Watson into the run game - that had a seismic impact on the outcome, and BO'B absolutely deserves praise for doing so.

I'll mention another small - but vital - decision I'll praise BO'B for: going for 2 on the first score. I'm not going to oversell it because I think it was the overwhelmingly right call. But miss it and you need three scores to win, as opposed to just two with the XP, so it wasn't necessarily automatic. I also imagine the decision played very well with the team.

No one needs to be build any one a statue. But in a sea of relentless complaints... no one wants to stop and acknowledge that maybe their vitriol is overblown.

Sure; but, again - this is how they operate... they'll set a milestone, sure BO'B will fail to reach it, and then when he doesn't fail, they either begrudgingly acknowledge it with "yeah but"s and then move the goalposts - or they just don't even bother and move the goalpost immediately.

Nothing is ever good enough. This is (probably) the best stretch of football in team history (I'll allow '11-'12 - but we have a vastly better QB) and too many seem hellbent to not enjoy it.

houstonstime and Nook like this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The official line was Texans -2.5. It opened at -4.5. Heavy action on Buffalo from the sharps... this was by no means a for sure Texan cake walk going into the game.

They weren’t shy about stating how much they had to change stuff at halftime. To say the second half was all Watson going rogue and free-styling is completely off-base with what everybody who played the game stated.

#120 Nick, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Nook likes this.