1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Early 2020 Democrat POTUS Poll

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by cml750, Sep 7, 2018.

?

Who do you want to win the Democrat nomination in 2020 to run against Trump?

1. Bernie Sanders

11 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. Corey Booker

5 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. Elizabeth Warren

12 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Joe Biden

20 vote(s)
    21.7%
  5. Kamala Harris

6 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. Kirsten Gillibrand

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. Hillary Clinton

9 vote(s)
    9.8%
  8. Other

26 vote(s)
    28.3%
  1. SugarLandFan

SugarLandFan Member

Seriously, once FISA declassification occurs and the swamp is drained of the pedophiles and human traffickers holding public office (which will deplete the ranks of both parties, but mostly the D's), is there even going to be a functioning Democrat party?

If some third parties out there want to make a bid for becoming the new second party to take on the GOP, now will be their chance.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

Has anyone considered Deval Patrick? I wouldn't be surprised if he made a run for it. Former state AG and Governor of Mass. Friend of Obama

4. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I think Beto should throw his hat in the ring. He might get eaten alive in the primary debates, but his message is the opposite of Trump, and his light is so bright right now.

The calculation is that he was 2.5 points short of Cruz in a statewide election (best dem % in 40 years!), and he's only getting started. His ability to draw in young voters is the key. There are plenty of16/17 year olds this year that will 18/19 in 2020. The 18+ population will continue to wake up and realize the importance of their voice, as we all have experienced. I think that makes up the 2.5 points, and that's not even considering the minority voter evolution.

If Beto can secure Texas (38 electoral points), The GOP has no chance for 8 years. If he were to win and have a successful term(s), it might spell the end of the GOP for a generation. There is a palpable weight to this scenario that cannot be understated in the conversations going on within the DNC's top brass. You win Texas, you win the white house.

#144 Fullcourt, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Hey Now! and joshuaao like this.
  5. jcf

jcf Member

Depending on whether you count the primary with Obama, we did already. I'm ready for some new candidates, preferably someone youngish to middle-aged.

6. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

It's going to happen :D

#146 RocketsLegend, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Keep dreaming. Hillary is not running. Even if she wants to her donors have moved on and the primary bench is too deep. Probably going to be Biden, but lots of women running who will be much stronger candidates. Kamala Harris is who I have a sense will be the dark horse.

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Dude.. authoritarian is sooo punk. Cannot wait. Dude is not a poser at all.

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Texas and the West Coast alone is well over 200. Throw in the NE and 270 is a slam dunk.

Fullcourt likes this.
  10. Senator

Senator Member

But those 18/19 year olds will be heavily in urban areas which are democrat regardless. Democrats and Beto need to figure out how to appeal to rural America, ie, create jobs without having to disregard all sane regulations and paris climate accord to do it. A rapid conversion to renewables and nuclear with manufacturing in these areas is on the cards. Also push around corporations like Amazon and Apple the way Trump does, that excites those who do not live in the cities.

11. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I disagree. I believe that younger = Democrat as a basic principle. We’re in the Information Age, and word spreads much quicker in urban and suburban areas compared to low population rural zones. If young voters show up in Texas, it get bluer and bluer

12. foh

foh Member

There is Op-Ed by Clintons' camp in WSJ that implies otherwise - she certainly would want to try.. She can probably guilt-trip the people who stayed on sidelines in 2016. Liberals can more easily overlook defeat in a candidate than conservatives, right? I'd prefer new blood and energy. Hillary is too old to fire up the base. The anti-establishment movement is still big and democrats can't take any chances in 2020.
    Her name recognition might overshadow other female candidates though and if she runs on healthcare-for-all platform like the article suggests, then she'll beat Bernie.
    Are you sure to be counting her out?
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/hillary-will-run-again-1541963599

13. foh

foh Member

seems like super delegates will only hold sway if a 2nd ballot is needed. Also the article below doesn't explain who the released delegates have to vote for (at the time when weaker/losing candidates decide drop out).
    https://ktla.com/2018/08/25/democra...es-other-changes-ahead-of-2020-primary-fight/

14. Senator

Senator Member

I speak on a national scale, not just Texas. You can see the states that swung Trump and why they did so.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Clinton camp is one opinion that is not objective about that reality.

I think Hillary will always feel like she never reached the peak of Everest and will never get over almost making it there. She has an ego like a lot of people.

But tell me which Dem donor is throwing money at her during the primary? Especially when the bench will be so deep unlike 3 years ago when everyone decided to not contest. I think she will certainly prepare like she’s entering the primary until it’s made clear who the nominees are and where the donor money is going towards.

foh likes this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

BETO!

Rocket River

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Odd... among the leading candidates, at least being mentioned by media and other pundits: Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, Cory Booker, Julian Castro, Eric Holder, Kristin Gillibrand and Amy Klobucher. And this coming after the country's first African American President and the first woman candidate for president. Yea... Democrats are the party of "white privilege" and "toxic masculinity".

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Bubba and Obama stood out from the crowd with natural charisma, a combination of intelligence, ambition and speaking ability. I haven't really seen that in the crowd from either party (short of Beto who lost, right person/wrong state)

Right now I would say Biden/Hildebrand would be most likely though it's a bad geographical paring. If they won, I would like to see Kamala Harris as the Attorney General.