1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Dynamo] Pat Onstad Retires

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rhino17, Dec 22, 2010.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Just read it in the chronicle

He will join the DC United Coaching staff.

His age obviously caught up with him last season. He's the all-time MLS leader in GAA (1.12) for goalies.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Good for him. He was a great Goal keeper.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Had a great run with the Dynamo. I'm happy for him that he gets to move on to the next stage of his career. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up as the Canadia head coach at some point.

Thanks, Pat! You were a great Dynamo player...

4. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

One of my favorite Dynamo memories.

[​IMG]

5. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Thanks for the memories Pat! Wish nothing but the rest for him and his family.

6. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

I understand that it was time but damn, I loved Onstad. Will always be a Dynamo great.

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The guy was the right age to let go and move on to the next stage. Ever since they let go of DRo its been hard to watch them. Last season was just painful to watch. I can't blame Onstad from walking away from just last season alone...

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

DeRo was the heart and soul of the team. Since they traded him to TFC, I don't think the Dynamo has been the same.

I know losing two other quality players hurt, but there was something good about DeRo as a Dynamo.

9. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

Excellent points.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

to be fair, I believe they were a goal away from reaching the finals just 2 years ago, and that was without DRo

hat being said, they definitely lost a lot of creativity offensively without him.

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

That is true, but in a lot of ways they just weren't the same team. Holden is a stud, but he is no DRo. DRo did things with his feet that I can't even do with my hands. I swear to God if he wasn't Canadian, if we had him on the USMNT we would have easily advanced passed that Ghana team. I really loved what the guy could do.

In general I think it's just hard to watch because we basically went from being the LA Lakers to the LA Clippers over the course of a season.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Not shocked at all. I had been expecting this all along the season.

This is the right time for him to just call it a good career, enough playing experience, championships, accolades, etc. :eek:

Thank you for being a great player for us, Pat. :cool:

13. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Thanks for being a great goal keeper Mr. Onstad!

It is the right time, but I know I will miss seeing that Canadian wall keep others from scoring.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Completely agree with your point about DeRo. He's exactly the missing link the USMNT has been missing all these years...a creative, ball holding center mid that can distribute and score from distance.