1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dragon Ball (Super)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OTMax, Feb 12, 2018.

1. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Some thoughts on Jiren's backstory...

pure speculation:
    Your first clue is why would Jiren subdue a rampaging Kale, while letting everyone else go on fighting without interruption? It reminded him of when he lost control of his power and destroyed his family. He is the monster, why else would he be the only one left alive?

He sought a teacher to try to control his power, but he eventually lost control and killed his fellow students and his teacher. Once again, leaving Jiren the only one alive.

This also explains why he only uses as little power as necessary during his fights because he is scared he'll lose control again and kills someone, and if that happens then his universe has no chance. All this power is a burden to Jiren. He never wanted to be as powerful as he is, therefore never shows any joy during his fights like Goku does.

This also explains why he meditates so much. He wants the ability to better can control all his power, so he doesn't destroy everything he loves... again.

This would create more contrast between Goku and Jiren. Goku's whole life he has always been seeking new ways to become stronger more than anything else. On the other hand Jiren was born with all the power you can imagine and doesn't want it and is instead forced to dedicate his life to find ways to control it.

So who finally taught Jiren how to control his power after he showed he has the ability to cause endless damage and destruction to his universe? His universe's god of destruction and their angel. Just like Whis and Beerus are doing with Goku.
    Just some random thoughts. Could be completely wrong, but imo would make his back story more interesting than it currently is.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

@fallenphoenix
    Nice ish but probably too much credit to the writers. :D
    Would be an intriguing story though.

3. OTMax

OTMax Member

With regards to Fighterz, it would be great if they could somehow upgrade Vegeta's SS Blue form to the ascended / unlimited / unbound or whatever you want to call it Dark Blue form. That way we get the strongest version. Goku's UI Master form can be introduced as DLC later. Then we have a Vegeta form that is more powerful than Goku SS God Blue and a Goku form that can beat that. In terms of gameplay it doesn't change much, but for the look and background fans who take that into account it would be cool.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think the Origin Story of him turning into a Mysteriously Giant Saiyan Monkey was pretty good.

Then it went batshet with the rivalry and power level upgrades.

They should go with the earliest storyline.

5. OTMax

OTMax Member

Wow any fan should tine in right now and watch episode 129 and especially 130. Easily in top 10 of battle scenes and visually one of the most stunning episodes of any saga of Dragon Ball.

That was amazing! I love Goku's final form with the energy flows, the sound and the look in his eyes. Also in battle it doesn't look grey, so in reference to the DB FighterZ game, that form with the special effects definitely needs to be in. And I have to say, Jiren's look after his last power up is finally one I can get on board with. Less Alien like look, big neck and chest out. Awesome!! That form also needs to make it in the game. Really wonder how the last episode will go, but we know it will be great if 130 is any indication. Goku does not get the upper hand all of a sudden, but it's balanced which made the fight great. Also not just kamehameha. I loved the energy balls that turned into little blows to the stomach and the big fire balls Jiren fired. Frieza was obviously still alive, but love how 17 still is. He's really got a time to shine in Super and I love it.

BigMaloe likes this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I haven't watched not one episode since ultra instincts has been introduced.. I'm going to go ahead and watch these last couple episodes though.

7. OTMax

OTMax Member

Seriously, you will not be disappointed. While the tournament itself overall is pretty mediocre, even bad, it has had some of the best moments of Super and Dragon Ball in general for me.

8. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Yesterday's episode was probably the best Super episode. Visually it was outstanding. Tons of fighting all while telling a story with a great twist.

9. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

A bit random, but which DB was it that aired in the afternoon (around after high school) during the early 2000s on Cartoon Network? And what dub was it?

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Dragonball Z / Funimation (greatest dub of all time)

clutch citizen likes this.
  11. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Its weird that they had jiren trying to attack Goku's friends. Seemed out of character for him but his back story is garbage anyway so whatevs

DreamShook likes this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

What did you guys think of the last episode? Not going to lie, the Jiren/Goku fight (epi 129 & 130), was not amazing to me. The fight looked good but wasn't really invested. I really liked the fight in episode 131. best fight of the series? That fight just proves you don't need another power up to make a good fight. Goku trying to muster energy phasing in and out of super saiyan was cool.

Of course, the resolution and writing were problematic. They spent so much time on horsesh*t fights throughout the arc, they rushed the last episode. No time for a true epilogue.

I'm pretty excited this bullsh*t tournament arc is over and we won't be seeing that whack ultra instincts anymore. They spent a million episodes on this garbage and it didn't amount to anything. What a waste.

Toriyama is coming back to write the movie and probably the new series after. I can't wait for that.

Junkyard_Dog likes this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I've tried watching DBZ subbed, but I can't do it. I don't have a problem with subs, I watch most new shows that way because I don't wanna wait for a dub.

But Goku's japanese voice is so painfully off putting it ruins the entire damn series for me. I seriously can't see how people can watch it that way, it is probably the worst voice in all of anime considering the importance of that character. This is one of the rare occasions where dub>>>>>sub.

I love DBZ, but if that was the voice I saw on TV back in the day, I never would have watched the show, it may have killed subbed anime entirely for me, I hate it that much.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Because the dub is like 60 episodes behind.
    Literally the only reason I watch the sub lol.

Only good voice is Frieza.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

They just need to give Vegeta his real due.

Even in Super they kind of let him luck his way through Toppo and made his new power up worthless.

16. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I liked the last episode even though I agree the arc was pointless and was just more fan service. They really used all their animation budget for the last episode. It looked fantastic hope it can stay this quality when the series continues going forward

17 might be one of my favorite characters now tho real talk

OTMax likes this.
  17. OTMax

OTMax Member

Feel good ending and the fight was okay. It sure didn’t live up to the standards set by 129 and 130 and previous arcs. How Jiren got beat by just cooperating was silly after all those SSGSS and Ultra Instinct and Jiren’s power unleashing. Just done by a simple attack.

I do like it’s different from the usual, but they should have ended either with Goku finishing him off with the help of Frieda and 17 while all had top powers or some other twist. No 17 as last man standing was great, really like him as a non droid ;)

The arc was definitely poor and this ending was way too rushed. The very end was basically happy ever after. Story wise DB has always been pretty bad, but this arc did provide entertaining fights, power ups, best animations and graphics ever and the spotlight for many smaller characters.

I hope for the next arc we will see Beerus power unleashed, but what could potentially threaten the universes now? A super God? Evil Zen o sama? Another Zamasu type apprentice going rogue? I hope with the movie’s new Saiyan bad ass that maybe finally we’ll get a Broly / Saiyan Legend.

The arc whatever it is better be dark like Future Trunks saga and have some more creative characters and power dynamics.

18. OTMax

OTMax Member

I actually hope with the focus on gods, that we can have Dabura get his due since his stone Medusa move and design was one of the best. Get some hell spawn demons involved, though I fear with the multiverses we will get some alien type invasion where Jiren and Goku team up. Frieza joining them or the bad side of course...

In any case it’s time to have a time jump where Goten and Trunks are old and powerful by themselves, Vegeta manages to get stronger than Goku, for a Namekian twist, saiyan girls from universe 6 to get more love and maybe even borrow some ideas from Fiighterz with Android 21 (female Buu?)? An evil scientist would be cool again.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

For some odd reason they don't think the character development of anyone besides Goku is important. Now that 17 has become a fan favorite, they should understand you don't have to focus so heavily on Goku.

I watched a fan theory that would have made the Zamasu arc amazing. They should have made Zamasu take Goten's future body (Goten Black) and make Future Trunks from the current universe Future. That would have made for an amazing arc. They could have had a future Pan instead of Mai and a future Bra instead of Bulma..

The writers dropped the ball on that one big time. Goten Black would have been better, easier and made more sense.

20. OTMax

OTMax Member

That would’ve been cool, but it’s always been Goku focused so guess we should be happy with what we get. I do feel it would have been the perfect opportunity to jump ahead in time for Goten to get some shine as the next in line since Gohan is not a fighter anymore and wants a normal life. I’m not getting why Trunks from this universe necessarily correlates with Goten Black and isn’t he already from this universe at first?

For me, Goku Black was really cool and eager to find out who he was since Goku is pure almost and he’s the antithesis. Would not have had the same impact with any other, so have to disagree there. Biggest reason Zamasu chose Goku was for his power.

Where they dropped the ball in particular was flow from DBZ to Super and the ‘sudden’ ability to become a God and how it’s explained and seems not change a damn thing.

To me with Goku Black and Zamasu, it would have made more sense that when fused they could obtain God level (first). Goku already was rosé so going even darker red shows a more powerful state. This would’ve provided the perfect opportunity to go back in time to Beerus who then explains they can obtain that status too but in becoming one they’d give up something human and gain a particular (Saiyan) feature that makes them different. Now it’s simply screaming into a hair colour change. The Kai’s would need to be advised as well so a great way to bring King Kai back into the fold too.

Maybe even make the distinction in the kind: god of destruction so a more evil fighting version that Vegeta wants and only needs Beerus for and a more serene spiritual form that Goku can obtain with the help of the Kai’s. Vegeta goes blue while Goku goes silver or simply a silver aura. Perfect opportunity to gain UI too which is the ultimate power of a spiritual god and would explain why Vegeta cannot obtain it.

Story wise the change would be that Goten and Trunks would’ve been older and train with Piccolo and Gohan in the time chamber where they separately become SS3 or whatever. Goku and Vegeta focus on becoming gods. Future Trunks would’ve been assisted by his own self and Goten in keeping Zamasu occupied. To save the day, Trunks spiritual sword breaks up the fusion and thus God status and all three together give them a good beating.

Vegeta joins them as it takes Goku longer since his god form is harder to obtain. Vegeta goes by himself and sends Goten back as Goku doesn’t want to risk anything with his son and future Trunks is too beat up to continue - since he hasn’t really trained and is less powerful - so goes back with Goten. Vegeta with some assistance of his own son - who chooses to stay -destroy Zamasu.

Goku only joins at the last minute to reveal his new form and how Black could never be like him. Since Black looks like him he cannot destroy him and maybe bound by his new form to not kill. Vegeta is of course happy to finally kill Goku ;) this to me would’ve been awesome and all relevant for the ToP arc.