1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[DOOMED] Scientists Release Controversial Genetically Modified Mosquitoes In High-Security Lab

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

...what could possibly go wrong?

VIDEO: See A Controversial Swarm Of Genetically Modified Mosquitoes In A Lab In Italy

October 20, 20197:00 AM ET

NPR was on the scene when the first genetically modified mosquitoes were released in a lab in Italy.

An international team of scientists is conducting a controversial experiment in Italy. The experiment is designed to test genetically modified mosquitoes that researchers hope could provide a powerful new weapon to fight malaria, which remains one of the world's greatest scourges.

Scientists Release Controversial Genetically Modified Mosquitoes In High-Security Lab

The mosquitoes are an entirely new kind of genetically modified organism. The insects, members of the species that transmits malaria, were modified using the powerful gene-editing technique CRISPR to carry a sequence of DNA known as a "gene drive," which is designed to drive the genetic modification rapidly through entire populations of the species.

The mutation is designed to sterilize populations of malaria-transmitting mosquitoes in the wild, causing them to crash. And that would, hopefully, help stop the spread of the malaria parasite. But the experiment is controversial because of fears that the genetically modified insects could cause unintended consequences on the environment if they were ever released in the wild.

So the mosquitoes are being tested first in a specially designed, high-security lab in Terni, Italy. The lab is designed to mimic the natural environment in sub-Saharan Africa — and to make sure none of the insects escapes.

From the Video: 'The mutation turns all female mosquitoes into mutants: half female, half male'

CCity Zero, BigM and KingCheetah like this.
  2. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

What could possibly go wrong?

3. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I don't trust Italians to make anything but spaghetti.

Jontro, Zboy, Uprising and 2 others like this.
  5. CCorn

CCorn Member

All fun and games until they create the zombie apocalypse

6. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Rule 1: Don't **** with nature.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DDT is your friend

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Idiots...that could collapse the food chain.

DD

9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I love when people assume that scientists who literally spend years, decades and sometimes their entire adult lives researching things like this and go through long testing phases think they are "idiots" that haven't thought through the problems.

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

likestohypeguy likes this.
  12. likestohypeguy

Just make sure you have some genetically modified Bolivian tree lizards ready to eat the mosquitos. Then in turn genetically modified Chinese needle snakes for the lizards, then gorillas for the snakes (when winter rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death).

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

nm

justtxyank likes this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

BigPosters-01sm.jpg

I actually have this poster on my office door

#14 Os Trigonum, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    likestohypeguy likes this.
  15. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

They’ve been talking about doing this for like 5-10 years now I thought...hope it turns out like they planned.

malakas likes this.
  16. malakas

malakas Member

I could have sworn that this has happened 3 years ago already to fight some type of african fever.

17. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

2:00 the way he holds the mic like this is a stick up. Hahahaha

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Oh, they manage to create all kinds of wonderful food, far more than the noodles, KC. I wouldn't trust them with bugs of any kind, though. This has disaster written all over it. Remember "Children of Men?" Humans had lost the ability to have children. It was planet wide. How, exactly, it happened isn't clearly explained (at least to me), but I can imagine an experiment like this going off the rails and causing widespread sterilization. This experiment apparently turns females into a whole other "sex." One that can't procreate. Inevitably, some of the bugs will manage to procreate anyway and bite humans. Who's to say those humans won't be affected?

We might be doomed!

KingCheetah and malakas like this.
  19. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

So how does this work? Half male, half female.

Does one side of the mosquito nag the other to death?

It might work.

Richie_Rich, 1111, Yung-T and 3 others like this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm for it, I can see how many westerners would be hesitant and in general wouldn't care much about it considering we don't firsthand deal with the devastating effects of malaria, viral encephalitis, yellow fever, and countless mosquito-spread diseases. This could literally save a MILLION people's lives every year.

I think we could also always keep healthy regular mosquito populations in many isolated areas (like islands that don't have dangerous diseases) in case of an emergency, as well as in captivity if we were ever to need to repopulate the species around the world.

Also, DDT is not your friend.