1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don Lemon of CNN: White Men Represent the Biggest Terror Threat in America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Senator

Senator Member

Missed the point here, read the post above. I grew up in poverty and all the trappings of that, so it's easy for me to see Jay Z for what it is... extremely toxic culture to those without filthy money.

2. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

So my question is which culture are you referring too???

Heavy Metal, Rock, Country, Black People, White People, Hispanic People???

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/rb8bnd/death-metal-misogyny

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/...-objectified-in-country-music-more-than-ever/

Be careful how you point that one finger, because 3 more are pointing back at you...

Now it's true that a lot of people in low income areas have their priorities in the wrong place (see I said low income and not just one culture). But the same can be said about people in middle income areas who go to but luxury cars and cannot afford it. See the same as "We need $300 sneakers to be important". "We need to buy expensive stuff to prove ourselves" "We need to get these exclusive brands" etc." The same as a kid in the burbs parents trying to buy them clothes and other expensive items to show that they belong...

Barry agrees in private circles, but obviously in public he has to be one of the boys so as not to appear too "white" to a certain demo.
    Chris agrees in private circles that he loves rap music and hip hop, but in public circles he agrees with his boys that he doesn't like that music are the individuals that make it.

See you are trying to flip the switch instead of seeing the real issue... Each society has their own set of issues and I have lived thru all 3.. Low, Middle and Upper... So please don't try to come to me with the low income stuff.

In general all these guys made millions glamorizing violence , hating on white men, bigging up the projects, but once they get rich, they flip the script and play to the white men while distancing themselves from the projects.
    People do this every freaking single day... All Cultures... I have seen white Guys come into the office looking clean cut with a suit and tie and then when they leave the office they have ear rings all over the place.... Hmm the same as some actors who play action heroes, but in real life would get the HELL beat out of them...

Now am I saying all of this right "NO", but don't try to put this on one culture and one demographic....

T_Man

They're called BS excuses...

JayGoogle and mdrowe00 like this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Case in point:

FranchiseBlade and CometsWin like this.
  4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The problem is, they aren't wrong. It just sucks they want it to be a distraction to something that is much easier to fix with laws than gang violence is.

5. biff17

biff17 Member

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Right, when has politics ever fostered violence?

8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Fixed.

9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Why do you care about urban black violence when white nationalist terror incidents are discussed?

Are you ready to accept the genuine systemic changes that people are asking for to solve urban poverty such as detaching public school funding from local property taxes? Or a public health insurance model where these families don't have to force their children to hustle on the streets to pay for their mother's diabetes treatment? Or a universal early childhood education system where working parents have avenues to drop their children off to free high quality early childhood education centers like most developed countries?

Are you willing to have those changes implemented? Or do you think just more cops being more "tough on crime" is going to solve the issues of urbab black poverty?

11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

The discussion had shifted to Ivanka's tweet. Calm down.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Some of the conversation has shifted to the possibility of make a domestic terrorism law. Here is an article on pros and cons from the NY Times (paywall). I'm a bit worried about that. We've been down this road before with the patriot act. I don't think it'll help things. Beyond what these guys post of public forums like 8chan, there doesn't seem to be any coordination to intercept. And they can be adequately punished under state laws -- the El Paso shooter is definitely getting the death penalty with his situation. The Muslim community has already been subjected to probably too much policing, but I don't want to repeat it for white people. It steps too far on free speech and free association.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

15. Senator

Senator Member

A long winding, oblivious post that completely misses the point. You're too consumed with playing the victim and making this a white man evil thing.

Jay Z and "successful" rap artists are the worst thing to happen to the African American community as a whole since the 80's. And this isn't because of glorifying drugs, misogyny, violence... to kids who don't have father figures. The whole premise is "I'm better than you, you're not on my level... because of all the stuff I can buy from rapping. I am not acceptable as a person without the white man's money and brands. " It spirals into one form of degeneracy after another.

It's worked out for 0.1% of the AA population, but the rest are made to feel downtrodden and beneath everyone else for not having a bunch of expensive brands. It's very foundation is toxic and petty and not good for race relations... so Barry inviting him to the white house is no different than Trump inviting Kanye. They don't want anything to do with them, but use em as props to get low IQ people to listen to them. When music takes people lower rather than higher, you cannot call it an art form. It's the opposite of Luther Vandross or the tons of talented AA artists who don't get invites to the white house because they focus on music and not materialism.

When you try to avoid accountability by always trying to bring a white man analogy into things, people don't overcome. It's like a 12 year old doing something wrong and saying well someone else did it so I can to. That's why nothing has changed in decades... violence keeps increasing and people like you never get it.

16. Senator

Senator Member

@CometsWin
    Don't miss the materialism aspect of it, the core of rap. It is bound to antagonize and lower the self esteem of the places they came from as opposed to any other genre of music. It's great that it made 0.1% of the AA rich and prosperous, but as a whole, you don't think it's hurt more than helped?

T_Man likes this.
  17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I've listened to gansta rap since the 80's when I was barely a teenager. To date I've participated in no gang shootings, robbed no liquor stores, and don't have several baby mamas to support. I think bigots see what they want to see. I think being 16 and not being able to read at your grade level because you go to a shitty school plays a bigger role in your self-esteem than what music you listen to. JayZ doesn't raise children, communities do.

T_Man and JayGoogle like this.
  18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Again, you have no idea what you are even talking about. The majority of rap isn't about this, the majority of Jay-Z songs isn't about this. I wish you would actually study things before you decide to make such definitive and ignorant comments.

I challenged you before and for every 'negative' song you find I could find three positive or introspective ones. There are entire rappers whose entire career is based on that, some of them are big names, like oh...I dunno, Kanye West, Chance the Rapper, Common, or guys like Drake who rap more about romance/love than anything and this isn't even touching all the less popular rappers.

While there is violent rap, it is simply a reflection of reality, unfortunately, but to blame rap for violence is to blame video games for violence. Art simply doesn't influence most people in this way.

The core of rap isn't materialism, it is rhyming and poetry over beats. That's all it is, for you to say it is the core of rap is to imply that it's in every song when again, it simply isn't. Rappers can rap about cars and parties and riches but can also rap about politics, circumstances, love, whatever the hell they want to rap about.

Again, your ignorance on this subject is actually quite laughable but you speak of it as if you A.) Listen to it extensively or B.) Studied it. In the past, you've revealed that you've done neither yet you return to this subject over and over again, it's puzzling really.

As to your overarching point of rap being the worst thing to happen to the african american community since the 80s...I'm not even going to get into that because where do I start? The worst thing to happen to the African American community is centuries of racist policies that extend to even today.

Also, it is hilarious that you continue to attack Jay-Z of all rappers over this. It seems a lot of his material went right over your head, a deeper listen would reveal that outside of some commercial releases most of his work is commentary and either you haven't given his songs a hard listen or a listen at all or it really just went over your head.

#438 JayGoogle, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    T_Man likes this.
  19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

That you keep using "Barry" because u think it is an insult is laughable and tells me all I need to know about you. It is like using "Hussein". Obama doesn't give a ****.

You are just bigot trying to deflect on YOUR support of a RACIST *******......Donald Trump...and trying not to have people think you are bigot (which u are).

T_Man likes this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What bullshit. Yet another attempt to steer the conversation away from the plague of mass shootings by White nationalists and racists to anything else. I'm not much of a fan of Don Lemon, but White nationalists/racists are the biggest threat of mass shootings that we face. It is domestic terrorism, caused by White American terrorists. Not immigrants, legal or not. Not followers of Islam. White American terrorists.

T_Man likes this.