1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dolphins-Martin-Incognito story

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ferrari77, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Martin is going to be getting a lot of money from the dolphins. Hope he takes them to the cleaners.

On April 22, 2013, Martin wrote to his mother:
    I figured out a major source of my anxiety. I’m a push over, a people pleaser. I avoid confrontation whenever I can, I always want everyone to like me. I let people talk about me, say anything to my face, and I just take it, laugh it off, even when I know they are intentionally trying to disrespect me. I mostly blame the soft schools I went to, which fostered within me a feeling that I’m a huge p***y, as I never got into fights. I used to get verbally bullied every day in middle school and high school, by kids that are half my size. I would never fight back, just get sad & feel like no one wanted to be my friend, when in fact I was just being socially awkward. Most people in that situation are witty & quick with sarcastic replies, I never have been. I’m awkward around people a lot of the time because I simply don’t know how to act around them . . .

Shortly thereafter, Martin’s mother responded:
    My first thought is that I am glad you wrote this down as a way to start figuring it out. There are people in the world with their own insecurities and they tend to be bullies and confront people. Dealing with them can be a challenge. I think when you feel really good about yourself they won’t bother you as much because you won’t let them define you. This fits into wanting to please and be liked. Some people out there are not worth it. W e do live in a bubble. Financial and
    professional success is sheltering. W hich is both good and bad. I think the NFL has a disproportionate share of people who are obscure but masking it with aggression. Your profession is really difficult with measurement and evaluation every week. So we need to build up you liking you. This is where some professional help would be good. They can help you structure your thoughts. And that whole brain chemistry thing is real. You may need some additional seratonin. . . .
    Martin, however, seemed unconvinced that his mother’s suggested

I care about my legacy as a professional athlete. But I’m miserable currently. A therapist & medication won’t help me gain the respect of my teammates. I really don’t know what to do Mom
    On April 29, 2013, Martin sent the following message to his father, which included a reference to the dinner in Fort Lauderdale where Martin says Incognito had called him a “******” and a complaint about insults concerning his sister:

People call me a ****** to my face. Happened 2 days ago. And I laughed it off. Because I am too nice of a person. They say terrible things about my sister. I don’t do anything. I suppose it’s white private school conditioning, turning the other cheek
    Martin’s father responded:
    They think ****** is okay because black people use it. Tell them you don’t use it and it is never okey and if they do it again then they can kiss your black ass. Likewise say that your sister is a Madonna. If they say it again they can kiss your ass. If they do say either again then just stare at them give them and give them your finger.

Just so you know, I punked out many times including over ******. Also over just being black. Mot proud of it in the least. It is just a matter of understanding your own strength.
    Had 3 white boys outside of a bowling alley calling me ******. I backed down.
    Had a Harvard ******* talk about my suntan. I backed down. Just stay who you are.
    Also, I learned how to pop a bully in his mouth and kicked one in his balls.
    On May 5, after feeling humiliated by Incognito and Pouncey during a

yacht trip, Martin sent his mother these messages:
    I’m never gonna change. I got punked again today. Like a little b****. And I never do anything about it.
    I was sobbing in a rented yacht bathroom earlier

Its on page 14-16 of the report.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Are you surprised yet?

3. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Is the dolphins report sfw material?

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The report should be turned into a movie.

Pure gold!

5. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

LMFAO at everyone who came to Incognito's defense. Told everyone from the beginning that he was a scumbag POS, but you should've known that anyways.

6. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Where is the NEW information further damning Incognito? The only thing NEW that I read was that Martin whined to his Mama and Daddy the whole time instead of standing up to his tormentors. Oh, and that he also joined in on the having fun at 'Player A's' expense.

I think Incognito is a scumbag, don't get me wrong, but there is nothing NEW in this report IMO.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

So this is just proving how this is his fault? He didn't do anything back which led the others to think it was ok. Martin acted buddy buddy with the guys so it came off as acceptable. If he stood up for himself, this would have stopped. I think his father makes a very appropriate statement that the N term is used more so because African American men use it themselves. It confuses the crap out of me. I don't personally use the word as it bothers me. I get even more awkward when I hear African Americans use the word "boss".

Martin should have never went public with this. Absolutely a soft individual who can't cut it in a men's league. Am I condoning bullying? No, but he needs to be mentally strong to be successful. The stuff Incognito said over text, was something that I think more than most of us have said to a buddy in some form or fashion in a joking manner. I dislike Incognito for how he acted towards Antonio Smith, but I have seen enough to delegate Martin as the one at fault.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Then you didn't read it.

Incognito's treatment of the trainer and the additional player? The "fine book"? The fact that Incognito tried to cover it up? You knew about these things, eh?

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don't know what's worse:
    * Incognito's judgment and character as described in the report
    * Incognito's judgment and character in tweeting "the truth will buy you" the day before said report is released. LOL.

Everything is tee'd up now for a civil suit to make Incognito a man of modest means for a very long time.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm no incognito fan by any means but I'm still a little conflicted. Some of the things he said are obviously terrible but it seems that they had a friendship and liked to bust each other's balls. Maybe Richie did go too far but if Martin never made it clear that it wasn't cool then how was Richie supposed to know where to draw the line?

Disclaimer, I haven't read the report but did see some of the back and forth texts between the two and it seemed like typical meathead banter.

11. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

It sounds like every jr high, high school, college, and nfl locker room.

That being said, I can understand where Martin is coming from to a degree. When I was 13 I sort of joined in the, if I'm laughing with them, they're not laughing at me. Even involved befriending a bi-polar person. But, I was 13 and grew out of that asap.

Reading the report, I have to assume it is something Martin never learned, since he was apparently bullied non-stop as a kid. The whole group all seemed to be stuck at that teenage mentality.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yes you are and stop trying to rationalize the ****ty behavior. You are blaming the victim.

13. Major

Major Member

FWIW, Bill Polian flat out stated that what's in this report goes far beyond anything that takes place in a normal NFL locker room.

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Report is 115 pages long.
    Martin is not the only person of concern in the report.
    Two other victims are in discussion (report) another offensive lineman and trainer.
    You realize Incognito also had incident with a female staffer at a golf charity event, in which Coach Philbin was already considering releasing him.

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Here's the thing, people keep missing, it's not even about Martin at this point. Since, Incognito has shown himself to be quite tormentors to other team mates and staff members. Between teammates is one thing, but harassing staff members is COMPLETELY unacceptable.
    The area is MUCH more gray, because staffers aren't in position of priviledge or equal footing as the players.

Incognito is toast.

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Excerpt from pg 22-24 of Weiss Report.

Wonder if Incognito is still such a misunderstood meathead for the people that are vigorously defending him.

1 person likes this.
  17. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

This report is almost as good as the Ken Star Clinton report.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Oh that's just friendly locker room banter!

19. Mr. Space City

richie incognito is a real piece of ****.

shouts out to antonio smith for smackin this racist *******.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Strangely enough it might be what lead him to football
    Thinking playing football would cut the bull****
    then . . . he found he was actually good at it . . . but alas it did not stop the BS

All in All I wish him the best of luck
    I feel bad for the guy . . . being sensitive is not a crime
    or even a character flaw and for it to be exploited and attacked is shameful

As I have stated before
    everyone saying he should have manned up . . .
    you be b****ing he went too far if he had put 2 in Richie
    or even crippled him for life . . . .
    there is not 'set enough' in our society
    like p*rn it is about the eye test

Rocket River