1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you trust Ken Giles?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, May 16, 2017.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The hope is that the improvement he made from 2016 to 2017 continues. He was more of a pitcher last year, vs being more of a thrower his entire career.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If possible, stop being a dildo. Or, at the very least, spell my name right, CometsWin. We have aliases for a reason; don't be a dick.

Stating a player was good until he wasn't good isn't mounting a defense; it's stating a fact. The question is how much stock should we put in not just a small sample size but an egregious outlier of a small sample size. He wasn't just bad; he was horrifically bad. Nothing in Giles' career suggested he'd give up 10 ER in 7.2 IP. In the four full months prior, he had only given up 9 runs.

I don't think the Astros will easily dismiss his regular season performance because of 7.2 innings. There may be some skepticism moving forward, and I think everyone will be nervous come next October (if the Astros are in the playoffs again) - but he improved over his 2016 performance and I think that's where they'll settle. It's on him to prove October was an ill-timed slump.

You're having an argument with yourself. No one said it was strange; no one called it an overreaction... no one had an issue with Hinch's decision; it was the right one to make.

3. vince

vince Member

In my humble opinion Ken Giles was a victim of the slick balls in the World Series. His most effective pitch, his out pitch, the slider wasn’t sliding. So batters sat on his fast ball or, the non effective slider. In an era of establishing your breaking pitches, a fastball pitcher is batting practice for the triple digit mph hitters.

Granted, he is still figuring it out in the regular season as there is still inconsistency, but he has tremendous talent and potential to turn into one if the top 3-5 closers in the league. But to me it seems he gets a bit jittery under pressure.

The real question is, whether he is a set up guy or a closer.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He wasn't good in the ALDS or ALCS, though...

Look, angry people are angry and they want their pound of flesh. I get it. But Giles is a good closer who ran into two extremely good offenses who were able to work counts and then sit on his fastball, which - to their credit - they destroyed. During the regular season, he doesn't face the Yankees or Dodgers every game in high-leverage playoff situation so it's hard to put too much stock in it, IMO. He should be OK for the regular season.

As for the playoffs.......... he has something to prove.

vince likes this.
  5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If this "slick ball" claim is real, guys throwing sliders better work on a new pitch, especially guys who only have two to begin with.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I will say this......and I think this speaks volumes....at the MadMax home, we have determined that Kenneth Giles >>>>> The Last Jedi.

vince likes this.
  7. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Astros would not sign a potential closer (Rendon), if they trust Ken Giles.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I dont think one has anything to do with the other. In this case, redundancy is a good thing.

seeingred and kaleidosky like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Hmmm...manana is a rain day, so I'm hitting the cinema. I know your whole family is eagerly awaiting my thoughts.

Stay tuned.

10. Major

Major Member

They paid him around $4.25MM. They didn't sign him with the intent to be a closer, and he didn't sign with the assumption he was being considered for closer. If he were, he'd have asked for a lot more money. Having insurance and lots of players that can close is not a bad thing though, even if you do trust your closer. Every year, about 10-15 closers get benched by the end of the year.

kaleidosky likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

This. They could have given Wade Davis or whoever $12M a year

Having options is a good thing.

12. MadMax

In our home, we speak of little else.

Tomstro likes this.
  13. T for 3

T for 3 Member

This is still a thing? Seriously?!?

14. Buck Turgidson

They strategically put a Specs next to the theater here in MF. 2:30, I'm having wine, charcuterie, and Star Wars.

I hope I enjoy it.

MadMax likes this.
  15. MadMax

Let's just say I have more faith in the wine and Kenneth.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Boring.

Some of us still remember when you doffed your hat to... yourself and asked for a royalty for work you pretended wasn't ours. Talk about being a dildo. o_O

Good stuff.

Regarding Giles, you've made a posting career out of taking good players like Giles and Schaub, cherry picking stats over a particular time frame, and claiming those players to be elite only to have your claims blow up in your face. Nobody is claiming Giles isn't a good closer, the question was always would he be able to close out big games in the playoffs. In the case of Giles, would midseason stats against the Twins be predictive of performance in the playoffs. When Giles imploded you blew up calling everyone names. Now you're back to pretend it never happened. Just really boring.

Be original, you were wrong so let's move on.

the shark and T for 3 like this.
  17. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

This dude sucked in all minor and major pressure situations since we got him. His ERA looked good because he was lights out when we had at least a 3 run lead.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He was actually worse in non-save/mop-up/3 run lead situations (in the regular season) vs 1 run games.

Speaks to some of his mental issues though. Needs leverage to get amped... but add the playoff pressure and things get a little less consistent.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No...he did not.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Oh...one other thing...congratulations on your first post ever in the Astros forum.