1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you trust Ken Giles?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, May 16, 2017.

1. Major

Major Member

A season's worth of data suggests otherwise, given that he got a lot of outs and gave up very few runs.

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He has the 2nd best ERA among our relievers. They have all been terrible.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Brad Lidge also went from lights to terrible pretty fast.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Giles has been a huge mixed bag these 4 appearances

1. Comes into an 8-1 game after about a week off just to get work, meh.

2. Tabbed for a 6 out save in a one run game on the road. 1-2-3 inning in the 8th. Gives up the inside the park HR to lead off 9th after insurance run. Gets the next 3 in order for the series win.

3. Again, tabbed for a multi-inning save in a 2-0 game after Devo walks a guy. Gets 2 more outs in the 8th. Gives up the solo HR to Bird in the 9th. Strikes out 4.

4. Comes into a no out 2nd and 3rd base 4-2 game. Gives it up. Not good.

Yesterday sucked. They all sucked. I suppose at that point some credit goes to the other side. Giles still remains their best end of game option... but it would be nice to know that he’s not their only option... and right now, he very well may be.

Major likes this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Nails..... Amirite?

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If you're asking if I've chewed mine off...then, yes.

Houstunna likes this.
  7. Major

Major Member

Not sure the relevance here. Are you suggesting that blowing a postseason save makes a pitcher completely worthless for eternity? Anytime a pitcher blows a save, we should assume they are done forever?

8. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nope ! Just being honest

9. T for 3

T for 3 Member

This should tell you something. Sometimes a "seasons's worth of data" doesn't mean ****!!

(For god's sake, I want giles to succeed, and shut me up! I had no problem going to him, and he was by no means the only culprit:))

10. Major

Major Member

So unless a pitcher is perfect and never blows a save, you don't trust them? So you don't trust any pitcher ever in the history of baseball?

11. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I didn't say that.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

True. But unless you have a special view of the future, its all you got to go by.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's really the crux of the Astros dilemma.

This thread was originally designed with the idea that Devo, Harris (or even Musgrove) could seamlessly step into the closers role and do just as good, if not a better, job.

Harris has just fallen off a cliff... at this point, not even sure if he surpasses Gregerson on the pecking order. Devo has been spotty since the all-star break... and hitters have a pretty solid approach on him now that there's enough tape out there. He's not the multi-inning, strike out 7-8 batter phenom he was to start the year... that stretch is looking more and more like the anomaly.

I'd love if Musgrove could be a consistent multi-inning late bullpen guy... but he remains both young enough, still likely committed to being a future starter, and there are times where throwing consistently in the zone will bite you, if you're just the slightest bit off on speed and location.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I guess those hitters just magically got better.

15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

NO! I don't trust Giles....LOL.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And the entire bullpen magically got worse... along with Peacock/Morton.

17. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I am by far not a pitching or baseball expert. But can someone explain to me why Giles can not throw it by hitters at 100mph? his fastball just looks flat. Yet you see Verlanders four seam fastball almost rise (yea I know illusion). Giles has the velocity. Why doesn't he have that rise or illusion. Is it delivery? Grip? Is this something Verlander could teach him? I mean Wagner blew people away constantly.

Does Giles need a third pitch to set up that 100mph heat?

I just think Giles is a middle of the road closer at this point. No better or worse than Gregerson was two years ago.

Do I miss the days of Dotel, Lidge and Wags.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wagner got hit hard.... harder in the playoffs.

Giles fastball is predicated on his slider.... and vice versa.

19. Major

Major Member

Facts and reality suggest otherwise. You do realize closers do blow games and give up runs, right? The guy closing for the Yankees blew a lead in game 7 of the World Series and seems to be doing just fine in future playoff games.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Maybe the Astros bats, the #1 offense in baseball, magically forgot how to hit.

Maybe Giles magically went into a slump when the playoffs started after being a dominant pitcher for three straight months.

Hmm... that black magic.