1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you trust Ken Giles?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, May 16, 2017.

1. Nigel Thornberry

Giles has obviously been a lot better. Now with that being said, I still do t trust him. He makes me nervous everytime and I'm sure some of you can agree with that

chievous minniefield likes this.
  2. conquistador#11

In the words of Taylor Swift, "look what you made me do. Oops"

kaleidosky likes this.
  3. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

He's allowed 3 runs in 3 months.

awc713 and don grahamleone like this.
  4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

In the sense that I basically always feel nervous late in games. Almost all closers will make you feel it. I grew up with Billy Wagner, and felt nervous every time the tying/winning run came up (I always remember the Grand Slam to Giles, the McGwire walk-off in 98, the Chipper HR in the NLDS, and the Leyritz HR in the NLDS). The only guy I've ever trusted 100% is Brad Lidge, and we saw what happened to him.

DuBose likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Exactly. I trust him as much as I'd trust any closer not named Mariano Rivera. It's just the nature of the job.

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

... and Mariano Rivera blew a save and then lost game 7 of a World Series.

DuBose and don grahamleone like this.
  7. juicystream

Aroldis Chapman blew game 7 last year. Definitely happens to the best.

DuBose likes this.
  8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Wasn't it game 6?

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It used to bother me how he would do his slow motion movements getting ready to pitch like he was about to grace everyone with one of his throws. His last few games I haven't minded it so much.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

True, but they didn't trade Vince freaking Velasquez to get Chapman or Rivera. Changes everything

Major likes this.
  11. juicystream

Game 7. The Cubs were criticized for using him with a 7-1 lead in Game 6.

12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

ooooo yea, like he let them tie it back up. but they ultimately won so not too bad.

13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

14. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Does he have to be perfect the whole year? He's been dominant for a few months. **** happens sometimes and tonight the bullpen was a turd.

DuBose and Tomstro like this.
  15. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

**Hot Take Alert!**

Tomstro likes this.
  16. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

At least VV hasn't been good or healthy

17. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I don't know. There is just something about Giles that doesn't seem right. Guy can throw vapor. Hits 100. But I never see anyone swing late. They always seem to get wood on the ball. Sometimes hard hit balls. Yea when he breaks an 88mph slider off he can make batters look silly but otherwise that 100mph heat seems very hitable. I am not sure why Wagner seemed to always blow it past batters. What was the difference between Wagners heat and Giles?

2nd thing on Giles. Seems like when he is handed a clean inning and starts out well he does well. But when he gets hit or the pressure rises he crumbles. He does not look comfortable with any sort of adversity. Up until Pujols Lidge didn't seem to let a home run or a couple of hits from him striking out the next two or three.

Hopefully he grows into an elite closer as I just don't think he is quite there yet despite only giving up 3 in the last couple months.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I like how we can't evaluate our closer's performance because Marinao Rivera blew a save in the World Series.

Tomstro and T for 3 like this.
  19. T for 3

T for 3 Member

So we still keep going round and round, I guess. It's fairly simple, if the two sides would just make little concessions.

Haters (like myself) need to concede that giles has had a very good year, and based on this year, we all should have a lot more faith in him.

Kool aid drinkers need to concede that giles' history with the Astros is not without stretches of poor play, and you can't expect everyone to simply forget that because of this season (especially with the playoffs coming up.)

We all want him to succeed. It's what is best for the team. No need to bump this thread after every outing.

#199 T for 3, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Evaluate away -- The point is that no closer is perfect , even the GOAT in the most crucial of game situations. The fact that the same 2-3 posters keep coming back here giddy after his 2nd blown save in 3 months seems silly to me.

Here's the list of closers with a better WHIP than Giles:
    Kenley Jansen
    Craig Kimbrel
    Roberto Osuna

For reference, Osuna has 10 blown saves to Giles' 4. Even Kimbrel, who is filthy, has 4 blown saves.

Here's the list of closers with 25 or more saves, and fewer blown saves than Giles:
    Kenley Jansen
    Wade Davis
    AJ Ramos
    Raisel Iglesias

So, what we can evaluate is Kenley Jansen is the best closer around, and Ken Giles is not him. Do we also need a thread about George Springer not being Aaron Judge?

My evaluation says Giles is not an all time elite like Kimbrel or Jansen, but he's strongly in the discussion for the top 5 in the league. What's your evaluation? Who are the closers you'd rather have than Giles?