1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think the Texans fans' not wanting another Carr in Houston was a huge mistake?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Sep 22, 2016.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't help thinking about that 2014 draft when most of us Texans fans wanted no part of another Carr. I am sure those feelings were made very clear by many fans, myself included. So, we pick up Sua-Filo in the 2nd round and pass on Carr. Since then Carr has thrown 57 touchdowns and Sua-Filo has achieved 1 assisted tackle and 1 fumble recovery. Yes, you read that right. Let me say now I shouldn't have judged Derek by the past mistakes of his brother, and that I think we missed out on an up and coming great quarterback.

I hope Brock is able to progress to the point of scoring more in the red zone, throwing less interceptions, and hopefully leading us to that Superbowl we have all been craving since the days of the Oilers. I like his leadership qualities, and his ability to not appear rattled and scared like you know who. But, he is costing us much more money obviously that Carr would have, and I hope it proves to be a wise investment for our future success getting the ball to such a talented core of receivers.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well given that I was calling for the Texans to draft him in the 2nd round literally a year before he was drafted....yeah, I think it was a mistake.

That said, who cares at this point? They managed to get a good enough QB and the rest of the team is doing well.

3. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was wanting him to be drafted. Those "fans in Houston" also boo'd the Watt pick. So, it appears that only the knuckleheads have a voice with Mr. McNair.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I wanted him to be a Texan.......but the current future is bright....

5. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I thought he himself didn't want to play here..

6. Newlin

Newlin Member

You were happy with the Texans 2nd round pick that year, and later said that you didn't think there were any franchise QB's in that draft. So don't tell us now that the Texans made a mistake.

Bennie Anders and mario_v like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was happy with it because of the need on the O line and he was a highly touted prospect.....but I wanted Carr in the 2nd. I accepted XSF as a consolation prize because of the need on the O line, but I was calling for Carr in the 2nd for literally a year before the draft.

It's true, I didn't think there was any franchise QB's in that draft.....and that's why I was calling for Carr in the 2nd rather than the first. I stand by that. I also said that Carr would be the best QB from that class and it's looking pretty good on that prediction.

8. mario_v

mario_v Member

Big time. Huge mistake not drafting Carr. What's so frustrating is that Texans front office would say there was no franchise QB worth taking in the 2014 draft.

Turns out there was Bridgewater, Carr, Bortles and garapalo. Just terrible talent evaluation by the Texans.

Imagine carr with the weapons on this team. Osweiler, on the other hand leaves a lot to be desired.

Texans will end up regretting not drafting Carr.

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The Texans didn't call a different name because fans didn't want it.

They didn't draft Carr because McNair didn't want it, and Carr's daddy wouldn't allow it.

Carr vs. Osweiler remains to be written.

10. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

Some guy on here made a whole thread about it... I wonder who it was...

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

And the point of this thread? A veiled "i dont like brock" thread.

#11 Mr.Scarface, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Well borltes and bridgewater have been completely awful so hard to say it was terrible talent evaluation, carr has also been awful outside of a few games last year......

14. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

can we bring derek carr's o-line as well, because the stats say he is trash under pressure

15. dmoneybangbang

Way to early to tell. Carr is certainly more of a gunslinger so far but I certainly wouldn't mind to see what he could do with our offensive weapons. The injuries on the o-line could make it a moot point. What if what if what if what if what if

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Hindsight, yeah probably.

But I'll consider this situation bad luck... vintage H-Town style

OF COURSE we had to draft the lesser brother.

Would Derek have prospered here with the extra pressure?

17. mario_v

mario_v Member

I like Bridgewater but he just doesn't anyone to throw to.

Bortles has put up some nice numbers even though a lot of his stats come in blowout losses.

Carr though, looks like an up and coming star QB. He threw for 32 tds last season.

18. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

A lot of Carr's stats also comes out in blowout losses. Not that good under pressure and often checks down too quick.

19. conquistador#11

coaching staff wasn't interested in getting a rookie in here. they rather wanted to build the O line. If Mcnair and Rick force a qb on him at that time, then they're off on the wrong foot. For some reason coaches don't like that.
    Carr and Jimmy, I wanted those guys but let's not just give up on the season. Patriots kind of own and take care of bad game plans.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Has to be the strangest reason to pass on a player in any draft.

Just a crazy backstory. His brother sucked here so you don't draft him. Freaking weird.

napalm06 likes this.