1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

do you feel there is a need to increase border security?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by body slam, Apr 29, 2017.

1. dmoneybangbang

Likewise, you merely fell for a shiney wall that is largely symbolic.

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I've stated it numerous times: increasing border security worked in the 1980's. It undermined the cartels and led to their loss of power; and eventually it led to a drop in cocaine being smuggled into the US.
    I don't hate to break it to you, but we already have a wall.

Yeah, that's called a fact. The current wall may not be as expansive, continuous, and grandiose as what Trump is proposing. But it is real. It does work.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

No. We have other higher priority (education, infrastructure, being more competitive, jobs, new technology and innovation, cyber thread, weaken democracy thread, ...) and I'm comfortable with our border so far.

We should always look to improve, but it's not super high priority.

4. dmoneybangbang

We increased border security with Columbia? This isn't the 80s and we spend more on the DEA now...

Again this isn't the 80s... lots more goods and services crossing the border now... like Mexico is a major trading partner of the US... I keep telling you this but you are stuck in a different time.

And I've told you that the US-Mexico is the most travelled border in the world, and we have hundreds of billions of goods going between our borders....

Cartels just ship drugs through illegal drug fronts right through the border or under the wall with tunnels...

5. Cohete Rojo

6. Cohete Rojo

Violence is already hurting Mexico's tourism industry. A border wall could help with that - by impeding and deterring cartel smuggling, cartels will lose power, will lose payroll, and will lose the ability to harass and assault police forces and the public.

A lack of action has resulted in record violence. The lack of the wall, the lack of a deterrent, and the lack of commitment by the US is hurting Mexico. Record violence in Mexico is not good for Mexico. Why do we stand by and not act? What do we stand for when we send our military to far off reaches of the world to defend a pipeline but do not lend a hand to a neighbor in need?

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The wall won't deter crap. As has been pointed out before, the only thing you need to beat a wall is a ladder.

Sweet Lou 4 2 and juicystream like this.
  8. Cohete Rojo

Thanksgiving is coming up, and I am grateful that someone out there recognizes what wonders a wall may do.

Such a wall may put an end to many senseless deaths on both sides of the border - in Mexico and the US.

Walls are not perfect. Some come crumbing down (looking at you Mr. Gorbachov). Some deceive their builder (Maginot). Others, while not perfect, do a good enough job that if they were not there the consequences of not having them could make disasters far worse (Galveston).

Yes, this past month was the most violent month in the past 20 years in Mexico. 2017 will be a record year for Mexico. It will also be a record year for the US.

Let's end this.

9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Did they figure out who killed the border agent?

Unrelated but I heard something about a ms13 member commiting a murder in DC.

10. Cohete Rojo

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I heard China.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I'm more scared of cancer and heart disease, but screw me right? I mean, even though you are much much much much much more likely to die from one of those two, let's build a wall.

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

It only works if Trump nukes every ladder factory in Mexico. The a-hole is pussyfooting around when that's what he should really be focused on.

Or should I take the tactic the right uses with guns and say "if the bad guys want in badly enough, they will find a way. The only thing the wall does is stop the good, hard working guys from getting in".

14. dmoneybangbang

But don't end the war on drugs..... law enforcement, prisons, and border security are quite profitable for many folks......

Don't address the root problem at all...... brilliant Rojo.... brilliant Rojo....

15. dmoneybangbang

Rojo has to cherry pick events in order to make his flacid argument stronger....

Shutting down oversea drug routes from S America to the Gulf Coast/Florida just made the routes go straight the Latin America through Mexico and into the US.

The US is still probably the largest drug market in the world.... but we don't address demand at all in any meaningful way. Alcohol prohibition had the same results.....

16. Cohete Rojo

When borders work: European edition.

17. Cohete Rojo

More security, please.

Mexico has a violence problem. The US has a Mexican drug problem.

I wonder if the two could be related.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

We could always try the Philippine solution to the drug problem ... hang the users. Americans would get rid of their drug problem. Mexican drug cartels would run out of money. Mexican violence export would stop. Win win win.

19. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Act out the plot to Kingsman 2. I like your creativity.

No Worries likes this.
  20. Cohete Rojo

This is a crazy story.

Members of the "community police" detailed an individual for disorderly conduct. This lead to an exchange of gunfire with local residents. The state troopers and army later came to the scene - and began fighting with the "community police".

Oh by the way, 11 people died during all of this and 30 members of the "community police" were arrested. All over an act of disorderly conduct.

Mexico obviously is not going to pay for the wall, because they cannot pay for the wall. They cannot even govern themselves.