1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DMo on Texas/Houston, Dwight, current Rockets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by omgTHEpotential, Jul 22, 2018.

1. omgTHEpotential

Read this DMo interview and found it pretty interesting. He talks about Houston, his career, Dwight, current Rockets... Thought I'd share some of the more relevant stuff (the whole interview is much longer than this)...

Draft:
    Q: On draft day, were you happy when you found out that you're going to Houston?
    DMo: I knew Luis Scola was a Rocket, so naturally I was really happy. He's my favorite player and I was really excited to become teammates with him. It was a big shock. Unfortunately, after a month or so his contract was bought out and I had a lot of mixed feelings.

Texas/Houston:
    Q: Houston is the 4th biggest city in the USA. Did you experience a culture shock when you got there?
    DMo: I think there's always a culture shock to some degree. I was 18 when first I left home to play in Italy. I think it's much harder for a young kid. After Italy/Poland, going to the states wasn't nearly as difficult. Of course, I needed to adapt to the climate. When I got drafted by Minnesota I was a bit stressed because it's even colder there than in Lithuania. But then I got to Houston during the summer and it was over 100 degrees. It was surreal.

Q: There exists a stereotype that Texan people are very welcoming, wonderful people who are kind and open to foreigners. Was that true?
    DMo: I have a lot of friends there and they definitely fit that stereotype. If you come to their home they will give you everything they have. They aren't arrogant or anything like that. I was really surprised by how many good people I've met around Houston.

Q: How often were you eating steaks while you were there?
    DMo: Very often! Houston is famous for its cousine, and very very large servings. There's a few very popular steakhouses there and I really enjoyed my time there.

Q: Southern states have some negative stereotypes too. Did you experience any of them?
    DMo: Definitely not, never. The only problem that I've noticed is that in Texas everyone has a gun in their car. Cars are treated as private property therefore there's a gun in every one of them. Some of my friends told me stories about people getting taken over by road rage, getting out of their cars and starting to wave their guns at each other. You start thinking to yourself 'What's going to happen now'? Nothing, in the end they just turn around and drive away.

Dwight:
    Q: It's interesting that despite his charisma, Dwight is followed by this reputation of a locker room chemistry killer. Why is that?
    DMo: Not everyone likes people like him. He's just that kind of person who's the same whether we win the game or we lose it. And this is probably the quality that irritates other players. I myself am pretty sad after a loss, but Dwight isn't impacted by it at all. A lot of the players and coaches don't understand that it's just who he is as a person. After losses people want to see anger, disappointment, sadness, but Dwight doesn't show any of that. He was always a good teammate to me, I don't have anything against him. I think his conflict with Stan Van Gundy back in Orlando was a big blow to his reputation. But he's a much better person than the media likes to portray.

Current Rockets:
    Q: The Rockets were the only team who were able to challenge the Warriors this season, but they've already lost both Trevor Ariza and Luc Mbah a Moute. They're trying to fill those holes with Tyler Ennis, as well as Carmelo Anthony. What are your thoughts of their offseason?
    DMo: Houston lost its two most valuable defenders. The next most important defenders are Capela and Tucker. All of these guys were hiding Harden's deficiencies on the defensive end. Everyone knows James isn't a top level player on that end. I can't say that it's Houston's fault, because the other team offered Trevor much more money, but Phoenix took away one of the best and most mature players that I have ever played with. Trevor is a wonderful person who's always helping everyone. After Carmelo comes, Houston will have another player who will need to be hidden on the defensive end. I have some worries about that. I hope they find a way to keep Capela - losing him would be a catastrophe.

#1 omgTHEpotential, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    GotGame15, Relativist, JuNx and 15 others like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Someone is still upset Harden did not eat with him. :D

James & Carmelo will not be inviting Donatas to lunch or dinner.

3. omgTHEpotential

Indeed, he could still be salty :D Or just telling it how he sees it.

Mazulis and GotGame15 like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

After DMO didn’t list Chris Paul in the Rockets top 4 defenders, I couldn’t take him serious.

I hope BJ Armstrong pays when they go out for lunch... he cost DMO tens of millions of dollars.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Filling holes with Tyler Anus lol

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

#6 heypartner, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  7. rockets13champs

Also we have James Ennis not Tyler Ennis

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I had no idea what to expect, but his answers are great. They seem to be very genuine, pragmatic, and positive. I'm impressed.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lulz at DMO thinking everyone carries a gun in their car. That's a product of who he was hanging out with here. The types that carry a gun to show off/look cool. Or the club owners who were out and about in empty parking lots at 3am.

We obviously don't know how players act behind closed doors, but from what I've seen, not much difference between Embiid's demeanor vs Dwight's after a loss. One is a media darling, the other hated. Embiid is young though, so I suppose he gets a pass.

DMO was surprisingly insightful on our offseason transactions. He must still follow us closely.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

FIRST PAGE!

DMO gave good answers.. I was hoping for some fanbase gas-lighting...

Mazulis, Why not? and Lawlruschang like this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That interview was a good read. Thanks for posting.

What happened to DMo? I mean, he had his injury and rehabbed and I guess is playing over seas?

It seemed to me after the rehab he looked "thinner" and perhaps lost explosiveness (such as it was).

ALSO...

That bit in the interview on Dwight sounds familiar. Imagine seeing Dwight being "indifferent" after a loss and then remember the Rockets after the GSW loss. Gerald Green just DEVASTATED. Ariza on the verge of crying. CP3 punching that bench because he couldn't contribute.

macho87 likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not like he has anything better to do.

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Embiid gets pretty angry after losses and starts insulting/trolling his opponents via Twitter. Dwight gives he same generic answers to the media then keeps it moving. I don't think they are similar at all.

macho87 and Lawlruschang like this.
  14. eman

eman Contributing Member

I remember when he was Captain Hook. Wish we could get that guy back.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

School-a is still one of my faves - The Ice cream man.

Glad Dmo likes Dwert who never caught him in the woods.

Wow, Dmo dun like Harden's improving D.

Lawlruschang and saleem like this.
  16. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Seemed very honest in that interview. Good questions.

Wish he never sustained that back injury, his post up game was becoming automatic.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

18. craguin

craguin Member

Deuce likes this.
  19. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I feel like McHale said something similar about Dwight.

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

mental midgets...they need to learn from Dwight

Lawlruschang likes this.